The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 274
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,821

    Default

    Can I ask an honest question? I'm not intending to be rude or insensitive, but I've never shopped at Wal-Mart and probably haven't been in one in at least 10 years.

    How much money can you really be saving? One poster mentioned that cat litter is too expensive at her local store—how much more qualifies as too expensive? $1? $2?

    I spend more to support my local farmers at the greenmarket and go out of my way to buy my meat at the butcher around the corner. Obviously, living in Manhattan, I don't have to drive for miles to do so, but I do pay for it. It's worth it to me to keep family businesses (many of which have been around for 50+ years) alive, and it saddens me that others don't see it the same way.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Are you serious ? I work for a corporation and no we don't treat people like Walmart does. PHDs and Masters ? That is complete BS. This idea that treating people like sh@t is acceptable because other corporations do it is not okay. Yes I work every Saturday for free for my corporation but I don't make minimum wage. Walmart is the lowest of the low...
    Ditto. I'm a recent graduate with a Masters and I make well above a living wage (even in a very expensive city) and I work for a big publishing company (an industry notorious for low pay and long hours), so for someone to say "Oh, you get treated like shit? Just suck it up!" is absolutely abhorrent.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    Yes, they have a SALARY, and probably make a living wage, get benefits, and get paid more than $7.25 an hour, which is the minimum wage in my state.

    Give someone a steady 40 hours at that rate, like they were promised when they were hired and TOLD they were FULL TIME, meaning at least 32 hours a week, and they might be able to make it. But hire them at that rate and then cut them back to 15-20 hours so you can skimp out on giving them benefits, and it gets tough, VERY tough.

    It's not the working the holidays that is pissing us off or even the varying schedule. It's the unsteady hours, the treatment, the being told to "get our asses out of the break room and back to work" when we have only been on break for 5 minutes out of the 15 we are allotted. Or refusing us to even go to our breaks, that the LAW says we have. (Though for the break situation I have already made some phone calls and something WILL be done about it, at least for me since I know how to stand up for myself)
    So quit and go get a job somewhere else. If you need full time, you should have quit within the first month, if you weren't getting it. If there aren't any jobs, then move, or start your own business cleaning houses, mobile car washes, yardwork, child care, decorating, baking desserts for restaurants, etc, join the military or something else. Even tiny, rural towns usually have access to military recruiters. They'll pay your transport to basic training.
    No one is forced to work for WM. They are paying wages that are legal according to our laws. If you don't like it, then change where you work. If they can't find employees, they'll increase pay, hrs, or benefits to attract more employees.


    10 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2003
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Ditto. I'm a recent graduate with a Masters and I make well above a living wage (even in a very expensive city) and I work for a big publishing company (an industry notorious for low pay and long hours), so for someone to say "Oh, you get treated like shit? Just suck it up!" is absolutely abhorrent.
    Are Walmart employees really being treated like shit and being told to suck it up, and are they really given no other option in life but to continue on in this hell on earth? If there was absolutely no benefit to anyone in being a Walmart employee, there would be no Walmart. Target anyone?


    7 members found this post helpful.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    Are Walmart employees really being treated like shit and being told to suck it up, and are they really given no other option in life but to continue on in this hell on earth? If there was absolutely no benefit to anyone in being a Walmart employee, there would be no Walmart. Target anyone?
    You're telling them to suck it up, because apparently there are no corporations who treat their employees right and pay fair wages. Duh.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    Are Walmart employees really being treated like shit and being told to suck it up, and are they really given no other option in life but to continue on in this hell on earth? If there was absolutely no benefit to anyone in being a Walmart employee, there would be no Walmart. Target anyone?
    If you have read the posts on this thread you will understand that there are some areas where Walmart is the only employer around. Smaller communities cannot support multiple corporate retail establishments.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    If you have read the posts on this thread you will understand that there are some areas where Walmart is the only employer around. Smaller communities cannot support multiple corporate retail establishments.
    But many of them did have local stores or even larger retailers that compete with Walmart before those stores arrived. Some in the community tried to fight Walmart's entry. The example I saw was Ithaca, NY.

    Almost always, the argument for Walmart was cheap goods. No one seemed to care that depressed wages would come back in the form of things like lowered property values, poorer schools and higher rates of crime. It just struck me as short-sighted.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    8 members found this post helpful.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec. 1, 1999
    Location
    flyover country
    Posts
    1,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    Please know that this kind of thing goes on EVERYWHERE in business. There are people all over the country with Bachelor's degrees, Master's degrees, and PhDs who are doing the jobs of 2 or 3 peers because of corporate cutbacks and they simply can't get all of the work that is expected of them done in their regular shifts. Unlike you, they have to take their laptops home every night and spend all night catching up on all the work they couldn't complete during the day, without pay (yay salary!).

    My point is, Walmart employees are not special. This is the norm here in America these days. EVERYWHERE in America.
    I was in group therapy about twenty years ago, with a woman who worked for a large insurance company. Her job was deciding the cash amount for the giant settlements. When she was hired, she was told she would have about one a month, Then it became one a week, till it had become one a day. Her dream was to take a stack of the files and throw them down an elevator shaft, as then the company would be liable for the higest amount. I know nothing about insurance, but this sort of story might ring true to some of you. My point is that workers have been getting screwed for a long time. It isn't going to change anytime soon.

    And another thing, I will NEVER pay a store for the right to walk in their doors. I will NEVER shop at Costco or Sams.
    Another killer of threads


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    But many of them did have local stores or even larger retailers that compete with Walmart before those stores arrived. Some in the community tried to fight Walmart's entry. The example I saw was Ithaca, NY.

    Almost always, the argument for Walmart was cheap goods. No one seemed to care that depressed wages would come back in the form of things like lowered property values, poorer schools and higher rates of crime. It just struck me as short-sighted.
    Yes, and in my area Walmart has been struck down for not paying a salary or wage that can sustain life in this area. We have no Walmart.....and we all get along just fine.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2003
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    You're telling them to suck it up, because apparently there are no corporations who treat their employees right and pay fair wages. Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    If you have read the posts on this thread you will understand that there are some areas where Walmart is the only employer around. Smaller communities cannot support multiple corporate retail establishments.
    I'm not telling anyone to suck anything; I'm merely pointing out that, from my experience as someone who once worked a shitty minimum wage job as a teenager, and who is now an adult who earns a very comfortable living (who more often than not works after hours without extra pay AND without bitching to everyone about how shitty life is), I'm simply grateful to HAVE a job and appreciate the people with whom I work. Additionally, I understand that the world doesn't revolve around me and I don't expect to be in ecstasy 24/7 without feeling somehow cheated if I don't.

    If someone lives in an area in which Walmart is the only employer around, then he or she is probably lucky to have the opportunity to work there. If he/she does NOT feel that way, he/she has the opportunity to explore other options in his/her area. If there are truly no other options, and he/she is absolutely against working at Walmart, he/she is welcome to move about the entire country until an acceptable employment situation can be found. America is awesome that way!
    Last edited by ynl063w; Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2002
    Location
    Calera, AL
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Can I ask an honest question? I'm not intending to be rude or insensitive, but I've never shopped at Wal-Mart and probably haven't been in one in at least 10 years.

    How much money can you really be saving? One poster mentioned that cat litter is too expensive at her local store—how much more qualifies as too expensive? $1? $2?
    I guess you are probably referencing me. Ummm, if you had any idea of how many cats I feed and service (via cat boxes), yeah, it adds up. REALLY adds up.

    Is Walmart not operating within US regulations? If not, shut them down. If they are, don't try to shame me for shopping there. No one is holding a gun to the head of the people working there. If it's that bad, work some where else. OR, hey - be glad you have a job. A lot of people don't these days.

    BTW, I work on salary. That means I work as long as it takes to get the job done. No over-time for me. That's what my "white collar" gets me - and guess what? That's fine and dandy with me. I knew the deal when I signed on.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    I'm not telling anyone to suck anything; I'm merely pointing out that, from my experience as someone who once worked a shitty minimum wage job as a teenager, and who is now an adult who earns a very comfortable living (who more often than not works after hours without extra pay AND without bitching to everyone about how shitty life is), I'm simply grateful to HAVE a job and appreciate the people with whom I work. Additionally, I understand that the world doesn't revolve around me and I don't expect to be in ecstasy 24/7 without feeling somehow cheated.

    If someone lives in an area in which Walmart is the only employer around, then he or she is probably lucky to have the opportunity to work there. If he/she does NOT feel that way, he/she has the opportunity to explore other options in his/her area. If there are truly no other options, and he/she is absolutely against working at Walmart, he/she is welcome to move about the entire country until an acceptable employment situation can be found. America is awesome that way!
    Clearly there is a reason collective bargaining exists. And this post explains the reasons why people need to be able to be paid a wage that allows them to live in their community. Everyone can move away from their existing homes ? Yes there is reason for a min. wage so that people don't become "migrant employees" for the cheap corporations of the given area.

    The world should never revolve around the needs of the corporations, there should be some ability to support the workers in the corporate culture. That is the point of the workers striking.... but oh well hail to the corporate chief......So glad we sent the Romney Corporate packing....


    7 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Yes, and in my area Walmart has been struck down for not paying a salary or wage that can sustain life in this area. We have no Walmart.....and we all get along just fine.
    I wish you guys luck. Ithaca won Round 1 and lost Round 2 with the Big W.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2010
    Posts
    3,969

    Default

    There is only one Walmart that I shop at regularly and that is the one in my parent's neighborhood. The area is very nice, many local people work there and although there was a lot of resistance initially, it seemed to have worked out for the most part. The store is very clean, the staff are friendly and helpful.


    I can't say the same for my area. In fact, shopping at my local Walmart is depressing. The only time I go there is when I need a lot of a generic item like zip lock bags that are much more expensive at my local grocery store.



  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    So glad we sent the Romney Corporate packing....
    And yet these people out of work, that can't find good paying jobs, just voted in someone for 4 more years of the same...And there will be more regulations put in place that make people not want to open small businesses, so there will be less jobs. Already this month, we had 2 restaurants that had been here for about 25 yrs shut down. You will soon see that becoming more common. But our govt will just keep printing more money, and increasing our deficit until our country is where Greece is.

    I saw a bumper sticker that sums up our country's mindset perfectly-
    "Keep working...millions of people on welfare are depending on you"


    10 members found this post helpful.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Location
    You must never go there, Simba.
    Posts
    3,449

    Default

    My hometown blocked Walmart from building several years ago. They've been successful keeping the big W at bay so far. I don't think Walmart is even trying anymore.

    It can be done.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    5 members found this post helpful.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2003
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I can't say the same for my area. In fact, shopping at my local Walmart is depressing. The only time I go there is when I need a lot of a generic item like zip lock bags that are much more expensive at my local grocery store.
    Wait. You will make a special trip to Walmart for Ziploc bags? I know I've been defending Walmart here, but in all honesty I don't EVER shop there. I live within one mile of Acme, Giant, Walgreens, and CVS that all have weekly specials. I refuse to drive the 2 miles and battle the extra traffic to Target (Walmart is even further, so completely out of the question) to save a few pennies on anything (and I do know it's not worth my time or money). How much are you really saving??


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,193

    Default

    An example of savings-
    The coffee I drink is 3.00 at WM...4.69 at Albertsons
    Cat food cans- 13.00 or so at WM/ 15.79 at Albertsons


    On average WM is 1-3.00 cheaper on the same items

    Albertsons here also got rid of self checkout lanes, so it takes longer to get out of the store.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I spend more to support my local farmers at the greenmarket and go out of my way to buy my meat at the butcher around the corner. Obviously, living in Manhattan, I don't have to drive for miles to do so, but I do pay for it. It's worth it to me to keep family businesses (many of which have been around for 50+ years) alive, and it saddens me that others don't see it the same way.
    Having lived in Manhattan for awhile but also the 'burbs, I can tell you that it's hard to translate. You know it would be a complete disaster to, say, go to a huge chain grocery store in Queens once a week to get your stuff. But few people know a whole lot about what it's like to have a bodega in your neighborhood with the same people behind the counter day in, day out. By going from a place like Safeway to Walmart doesn't feel like a big leap.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2002
    Location
    Calera, AL
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Jetsmom, don't even bother. WM is the great evil, or didn't you know???


    5 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Amish Horse Abandoned and Left Alone at Walmart
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Jan. 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
  2. Strike-Over?
    By greyTBlove in forum Dressage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 26, 2010, 11:25 PM
  3. Medical armband at Walmart
    By SonnysMom in forum Eventing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2010, 09:03 PM
  4. Walmart runs before a show!
    By Tobias in forum Off Course
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Jun. 7, 2010, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •