The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    You should try it! We have been brewing for a couple years now. It is loads of fun! Start easy with a kit beer (brewers best is the easiest to follow for a noob).
    Thanks for the encouragement Katy9532! We're going away for a little bit, but might try brewing when we get back and can focus on it - heading to Chile and Argentina, so might have to stray the wine sampling instead. Perhaps I will be able to give an update on the next OT day.

Shine, you should definitely try Heady topper - It's pretty special!

Yellowbritches - I think we are cut from the same cloth . Thank you for starting this wonderful thread! Now we have even more beers to try.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

GotGait, I'd read your how-to blog! I am planning to get started in home brewing this winter. I just paid my overdue fines from the library and need to go check out some books, and I have a Groupon deal to our local and awesome home-brewing supply store to buy equipment. I have a lot of friends who brew, fortunately!

mememememeeeeeee!!!!!
    I can typically break down the region, recipe etc by taste alone. Forget wine, beer is where it's at!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Kateh, good to know about Pittsburgh! My brother just moved there and we are doing family Christmas there this year. He doesn't drink, but my sister and I are huge, huge beer snobs. Any suggestions for places to try?
    Church Brew Works (located in an old Catholic church, natch) in Lawrenceville, Penn Brewery, Hofbrauhaus in South Side (if that counts), North Run in Slippery Rock (~1 hr north of the city but great food too, good stop on the way back from a hike at McConnells Mill). Or brew your own at Copper Kettle Brewing!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

My husband considers me a beer snob because I prefer bottles to cans. I just don't like canned beer,

While I would not consider myself a connoisseur, I do prefer the darker and more complex beers.

There is a certain blessing in liking cheap beer. Me? I'm a Miller Lite girl. Unfortunately, the blessing doesn't extend for me to cheap wine.

Bah, I have acquaintances that keep trying to get me on the IPA/microbrew wagon, and it's just NOT my deal. I'll stick to my Budweiser cans, it's what I was started on and by golly it's good enough for me! At one bar where I worked we had to try all 20 microbrews one night, I've never been so ill in my life... I just tried Shiner Cheer, bleagh. I don't want flavor in my beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMarbleLess View Post
    I am telling Obamama!!! OBAMAMA!!!!!! SHE HURT MY FEELERS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Bah, I have acquaintances that keep trying to get me on the IPA/microbrew wagon, and it's just NOT my deal. I'll stick to my Budweiser cans, it's what I was started on and by golly it's good enough for me! At one bar where I worked we had to try all 20 microbrews one night, I've never been so ill in my life... I just tried Shiner Cheer, bleagh. I don't want flavor in my beer!
    You poor, lost soul.

1 members found this post helpful.

Growing up my parents never drank Bud, Coors, Miller...it was always Rolling Rock, Old Speckled Hen, Newcastle -- Sam Adams was their cheap "kids" beer. Both parents are Canadian so despite being in the US we were allowed a drink with dinner from about 18 onwards if we wanted. College was a struggle to suddenly be drinking student-beers...thank god I was in Canada so at least it was a minor step up from the watery-swill American beers.

Now that I'm in the Netherlands I'm in heaven I'm a beer girl through and through! Although definitely Amber/Lagers are my favorites. Although apparently in the UK if a girl has a beer at a bar/club it gives off the vibe she is a lesbian...or so my Brit guy-friends told me. Plus we went to a bar with 400+ beer options and when I asked the bartender what he'd recommend he rattled off some cocktails...excuse me? Why would I get a cocktail at a specialty beer bar .

You poor, lost soul.
    It's okay, I get by alright If it makes you feel better I actually prefer a nice vodka/cranberry or gin/tonic, but I'm too cheap to pay for liquor most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    It's okay, I get by alright If it makes you feel better I actually prefer a nice vodka/cranberry or gin/tonic, but I'm too cheap to pay for liquor most of the time.
    Ain't that the truth?!? I had a couple of cosmos with dinner the other night...something I almost NEVER do (if I get something other than beer, it is usually a margarita). Holy crap! Those little gems were pricey!!! Thank goodness they were potent...at least I felt like got my money's worth!

I know! If I'm gonna go out and make a night of it and spend $25 on a cab I'm not paying $4/drink

Quote Originally Posted by cagey22 View Post
    A really good one that is hard to find is Heady Topper by The Alchemist, in Waterbury VT.
    Oh, wow, I grew up in VT and I LOVE that, but I don't think I've ever had it out of state. Lawson's Finest Liquids makes good IPAs too, but very small batch and kind of random finds.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    Oh, wow, I grew up in VT and I LOVE that, but I don't think I've ever had it out of state. Lawson's Finest Liquids makes good IPAs too, but very small batch and kind of random finds.
    I had it at a friend's house, but it was a gift to them, and I don't know if it was found local, or if it was brought by out of towners...I feel like I need to find it now!

I've tried to get MrB on the beer bandwagon (on the wagon? Off the wagon?? Well neither, because he doesn't like the stuff!) But it's been tough. He doesn't really like beer to begin with. In our house we have, typically: 4 types of beer (usually Yuengling, Abita Amber, and Leffe blond, plus one other one that's an experiment purchase), and a case of Mike's Hard vodka spritzer drinks. Guess which one of us is drinking the hard lemonade??? Lol!
    Anyway, one evening we were having pizza for dinner and MrB decides to have a beer with it. I suggested the leffe blond because it's the smoothest to drink in my opinion witho being too much like the watery light beers he knew. I dearly wanted him to become a beer snob as well! What does the stubborn man grab, but the one IPA, hoppy as can be (this was before I learned that i don't like ipa's!!)... I ran across the kitchen (OK our kitchen is smaller than my horse's stall, so it was more of a large, fast leap) and tried grabbing it from his hand before it touched his virginal palate.

To this day, despite my insistence that the other beers taste much better than that,.... I offer him a sip of my Abita or fat tire and he recoils in disgust, like the dogs do to orange peels.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    I've tried to get MrB on the beer bandwagon (on the wagon? Off the wagon?? Well neither, because he doesn't like the stuff!) But it's been tough. He doesn't really like beer to begin with. In our house we have, typically: 4 types of beer (usually Yuengling, Abita Amber, and Leffe blond, plus one other one that's an experiment purchase), and a case of Mike's Hard vodka spritzer drinks. Guess which one of us is drinking the hard lemonade??? Lol!
    Anyway, one evening we were having pizza for dinner and MrB decides to have a beer with it. I suggested the leffe blond because it's the smoothest to drink in my opinion witho being too much like the watery light beers he knew. I dearly wanted him to become a beer snob as well! What does the stubborn man grab, but the one IPA, hoppy as can be (this was before I learned that i don't like ipa's!!)... I ran across the kitchen (OK our kitchen is smaller than my horse's stall, so it was more of a large, fast leap) and tried grabbing it from his hand before it touched his virginal palate.

To this day, despite my insistence that the other beers taste much better than that,.... I offer him a sip of my Abita or fat tire and he recoils in disgust, like the dogs do to orange peels.
    Ha! Poor dude! Nothing can shock your system like a swig of a really hoppy IPA if you aren't into them! Yikes!

Maybe he'll like one of those fruity beers.

I had it at a friend's house, but it was a gift to them, and I don't know if it was found local, or if it was brought by out of towners...I feel like I need to find it now!
    Oh, wow, someone had it here? That is so exciting!