The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Apparently I need to visit Oregon!

But I'll keep my eyes out for some of the things mentioned. Amazingly, one of the Giant's I frequent carries a really nice selection of "good" beer.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Apparently I need to visit Oregon!

But I'll keep my eyes out for some of the things mentioned. Amazingly, one of the Giant's I frequent carries a really nice selection of "good" beer.
    Everyone needs to visit Oregon.

Did I mention I live 6 miles from the Rogue Chatoe?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Me, but I'm lucky living in Colorado and growing up with a German father. My current favorite beer in a Belgian amber called Leffe. It is to die for! I also really like the Pyramid Apricot Ale. Can you tell I'm partial to wheat beers?

Love good beer! My husband hated beer when I met him and I slowly converted him, and now he's even more of a snob than I am. We both like Belgians in general, although he gets more exotic with them than I do. Both love stouts; Guinness was the first beer I got into during my misspent youth, so that's affected me.

Love Goose Island, Ommegang, Rogue and Unibroue. At the moment I'm drinking local--Flying Bison's Blizzard Bock. For easy drinking, I import cases of Shiner Bock every time we visit husband's family in Ohio (they don't sell it in NY), though the local Genesee cheapie Genny Bock is surprisingly good too for less than a buck a can!

I am trying to get more accustomed to IPAs and hoppier beers... I like some hoppiness but not to an IPA point.

I'm half German, so I was raised on good beer. My husband is a home brewer who has plans to open his own brewery. As a nod to me, he's calling it Thirsty Horse Brewing Company, and all his beers have horse themed names.

Living in Colorado, I get to check out a lot of good microbrews, and find I prefer red and amber ales, but I'm developing a taste for IPAs and other styles of beer.

Bottom line-there's a lot of beer drinking in this household.

1 members found this post helpful.

Never trust a beer you can see through

7 members found this post helpful.

I should not be reading this thread at work
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by cagey22 View Post
    Just want to add that we recently bought a beer making kit - thinking it would be fun to have a shared hobby, but we're a little afraid to start making beer, in case we make a disgusting batch.....

It seems a lot like 'science', which I was never very good at. I feel like I'll need to get a white lab coat and grow huge eyebrows in order to complete the task.

You should try it! We have been brewing for a couple years now. It is loads of fun! Start easy with a kit beer (brewers best is the easiest to follow for a noob).

Quote Originally Posted by cagey22 View Post
    A really good one that is hard to find is Heady Topper by The Alchemist, in Waterbury VT.
    Going to have to try to find that one, since I live just up the road (about 2 hours!).

Quote Originally Posted by GreySwan View Post
    Two words: Wisconsin Microbrews.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

My gelding is a beer snob! He turns his nose up at the water like American swill but loves a good stout.

Been living in Bozeman, MT for the last 20 years and I do love a dark beer! I'm more of a wine person but if I have a beer it has to be dark.

Moose Drool has always been our favorite but recently I've fallen in love with Cold Smoke, another Missoula brewery creation. It's so rich and flavorful, just love it.

From their website at http://kettlehouse.com/our-beers but I c/p'ed it because the website hurts the eyeballs... :

Cold Smoke® Scotch Ale earned a gold medal in the 2007 & 2009 NABA brewfests, respectively, a bronze medal in 2009 at the GABF and a silver medal at the 2010 NABA brewfest. Formulated with Montana grown 2-row barley, northwest Goldings hops, and lotsa love, this hearty ale drinks very smooth. Not bitter at all and not too sweet either. Novice beer drinkers have been known to take a taste and then say, “WOW! That’s not what I expected… that’s GOOD!” A hint of roasted barley lends a slight coffee-like smoky finish. With a 6.5% abv, this beer is perfect after a day of rippin’ lines on area or your favorite back country getaway. Also available on nitro for that creamier mouth-feel, a.k.a Cold Smoke® on Nitro. 6.5 % abv (alcohol by volume); 11 IBUs (International Bittering Units), 220 calories per 12oz. Available in stores in 16 oz aluminum cans!

Another snob here. The only "cheap" beer I like is Corona, and even then just on the beach, or with spicy Mexican food. I do not like IPAs. LOVE Amber beers. My latest favorite is one I tried at Brixx pizza -- Green Man Porter out of Asheville, NC.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I am a budding beer snob. I was always more of a wine girl, but I am getting into craft brews! I have 2 microbreweries within a couple miles of my apartment, and about 5 blocks away is a restaurant with 84 beers on tap and 600+ in the bottle. They are constantly rotating the varieties on tap, too! I believe I have a lot of "experimenting" to do.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I live about 45 minutes from Stone Brewery in Escondido. It is a little slice of heaven and we go there about once a month to eat their locally-sourced food, drink in the beer garden, and fill our growlers for take-out. My favorite beer in the entire world is their Imperial Russian Stout. But they always have great new stuff, a recent fave being the "Enjoy By". The Ruination IPA, Double Ruination, and Smoked Porters are also great. I can buy cases of Stone IPA at my local Costco for $25. I think my brother in VABeach pays about $40/case.

Some other favorites: Green Flash IPA (also local in San Diego), the San Diego Mission Brewery had some great stuff when we checked it out a few months ago, Ska Brewing in Durango CO had a good one called Modus Hoperandi, Ballast Point has a couple of good IPAs.

We are pretty snobby on our beers. Even the Sam Adams and Fat Tires of the world just don't pass our standards any more.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

I just got into it in the last year or so, when my friend dragged me on a few microbrew tours (including Stone) and forced some IPAs down my throat. Now I'm begging my friends to come with me! Pittsburgh actually has a pretty decent microbrew scene, as I'm discovering.

Recent faves:
    Stone's Arrogant Bastard
    Victory Hop Devil

Yuengling for a cheapie
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I prefer beer geek!

I worked in a Belgian beer bar in Philly, blogged about beer in DC, worked in an American craft beer bar in DC, and have experimented in homebrewing.

Love it all. But I am a sours girl at heart - gueuzes, lambic, flemish ales. The more sour the better! Pretty much the only type of beer I don't care for are the overly sweetened fruit juice-types (I'm looking at you every blueberry or raspberry wheat ale ever) and pumpkin beers.

I'm in NE Ohio now, so have great access to the Michigan beers and Great Lakes in my backyard. However, I am endlessly envious of anyone with regular access to Russian River.

My husband and I have what I call a micro-nano brewery. It doesn't even have a name. We've been brewing for 15 years or so now, and we make some pretty great stuff. I'll pit our IPA against any of the heavy hitters out there. <toot toot my own horn >
    I wish we could drop everything and sell it, but we aren't big risk takers so we end up having brew parties or giving it away.
    I will be happy to answer any questions about starting out. It is not difficult to make a good brew. I keep meaning to make a how-to blog.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Just curious who else considers "beers" with names like Bud, Miller, or Michelob complete swill, and who prefer craft brews.

I am a HUGE IPA fan (the hoppier, the better!), but also appreciate many other really good, yummy brews!

Let's hear it for the GOOD beer!!!
    Personally I can't stand the stuff but dh likes beer. Unfortunately if left to his own devices he will buy Coors Light. I have told him time and again that if he is going to spend money on beer it had better be quality stuff. So I usually buy the beer and tend to stick to locally brewed or Guinness. I bought an Irish Pub cookbook recently that has a recipe for beef stew made with Guinness, it was really tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by batman the horse View Post
    I am a budding beer snob. I was always more of a wine girl, but I am getting into craft brews! I have 2 microbreweries within a couple miles of my apartment, and about 5 blocks away is a restaurant with 84 beers on tap and 600+ in the bottle. They are constantly rotating the varieties on tap, too! I believe I have a lot of "experimenting" to do.
    Part of the reason I am in to beer as much as I am is because I just can't drink wine. I didn't like it for ages, then developed a taste for whites, but then I found out, the very hard way, that it takes very little wine to make me extremely, painfully, brain scaldingly hung over. Just the thought of it now makes me queasy!

I don't have the same issue with beer (though, I can't drink a TON in one sitting, but I can keep up with the party and not want to die the next morning!).

Kateh, good to know about Pittsburgh! My brother just moved there and we are doing family Christmas there this year. He doesn't drink, but my sister and I are huge, huge beer snobs. Any suggestions for places to try?