The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any other beer "snobs?"

Just curious who else considers "beers" with names like Bud, Miller, or Michelob complete swill, and who prefer craft brews.

I am a HUGE IPA fan (the hoppier, the better!), but also appreciate many other really good, yummy brews!

Let's hear it for the GOOD beer!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Living in the land of microbreweries (my teeny hometown will have 3 by the end of the year!), I haven't had a "major label" beer since my college days. I detest, however, IPAs. I love stouts and weissbiers and don't turn my nose up at a quality lager in the summer. Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing in Missoula, MT is a current favorite, but our go-to beer is Hopworks (Portland, OR) 7 Grain Survival Stout--malty, deep, rich brown heaven in a bottle (or better, on tap!).

Cider is huge now, here, too. Crispin is my favorite.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes. Beer snob here. Too many years living in Colorado and Oregon where there are some really spectacular micro breweries to choose from.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob, just because I don't like beer all that much to begin with.

I will say that if I don't like the regulars (Bud, Miller, etc.) at ALL, but I'll drink some of the ones with more substance. So far, a local brewery's oatmeal stout has been my favorite, but even for that I have to be in the right mood to drink. I'll also drink pumpkin ales if I am out, but who am I kidding, that's mostly for the sugar on the rim...

Here! I'm a big fan of the microbreweries we have up in Canada and the seasonal beers that come out...something 'different' to drink.

My favs are
    - Alley Kat Aprikat, which is almost a beer 'cooler' so great in the summer.
    - Wild Rose Brewery ANYTHING but especially the wraspberry or velvet fog.
    - Granville Island Brewery has an amazing pumpkin beer out in the fall.
    - Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde is a great blonde beer.

I've also recently picked up some stouter drinks for the winter:
    - Unibroue's Quelque Chose...haven't tried it yet, but apparently you can drink it on the rocks OR heated up.
    - Granville Brewery Maple Cream Ale.
    - Wild Rose Cherry Porter - haven't tried it, but heard good things.

I also saw a hot pink bottle of beer called "Bacon and Maple Fudge Donut' flavoured...apparently it's a best-seller at the store...

Big Beer Snob here!! Since high school I definitely won't drink any of the major US brands, I can do Sam Adams in a pinch, but prefer Microbrews if it has to be domestic...Fat Tire is a fave that is finally making it's way around the country. KY Bourbon Barrel Ale is another awesome regional beer, I prefer brown or amber ales, but will try almost anything except a super hoppy IPA or super dark stouts.

My fave everyday beer is Newcastle Mmmm, like a nice cold iced tea! I spent 2 years in Germany which did nothing to improve my snobbery! glad to hear I'm not alone
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

2 members found this post helpful.

I think I've become one! I wasn't a big beer fan before...Usually I stuck to a few different brands that I regular enjoyed. Since then, however, I've gone to a few different brew fests where I've had the opportunity to taste a lot of beers.

It has confirmed that I am more of an amber & brown ale/lager girl, absolutely can't stand IPA's, and stouts very rarely.

I like that I've discovered my taste preferences..plus it doesn't hurt that it tends to impress the guys that I meet that I have such distinct beer preferences.

Oooh! Can I join the club?

Love an IPA and like the OP, the hoppier the better.
    My current favorite is Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas brewery, followed closely by Flower Power by Ithaca brewing company.

My husband would vote for Stone brewery, Ruination IPA and we both like Deviant Dale's IPA from Oskar Blues.

A really good one that is hard to find is Heady Topper by The Alchemist, in Waterbury VT.

Okay, feeling a little disgusted with my snobbiness right now, but gosh darn do these beers taste like heaven in my mouth.

I'm glad there are others out there like me

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I'm a member.

Those who like British ale and stout will be happy to know that the beer that is my personal favorite is once again available in the United States. I cannot recommend Theakston's Old Peculier enough.

Down here I have access to very few "small" brewery products, and quite honestly some of them are not all that good.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Just want to add that we recently bought a beer making kit - thinking it would be fun to have a shared hobby, but we're a little afraid to start making beer, in case we make a disgusting batch.....

It seems a lot like 'science', which I was never very good at. I feel like I'll need to get a white lab coat and grow huge eyebrows in order to complete the task.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Moose Drool!! Fantastic beer.
    Not a big fan of ipa, but the one I do like is Two Hearted Ale by Bells brewery. It's strong though! By the middle of my second, i am loooooopy!
    Dead Guy ale by Rogue Brewery is another one i enjoy.
    My favorite all time beer is Abita Amber Ale. Oh lovely stuff.
    I also like Duck Rabbit Head's Amber Ale.
    Leffe blond is excellent with dinner!
    Razor Wit Belgium white ale (i forget the full/real name) is another good one, hints of ginger in it, yum.
    I'll also enjoy a fat tire, too.
    Yuengling light is my "oh crud, pay day is further away than I thought, but yes I still want beer" purchase ;-)

I don't consider myself a "beer snob" because I don't judge beers by their name or manufacturer. I've tasted plenty of artisinal beers that were/are downright awful.

To be honest, I rarely drink beer, but when I do, I want a - for lack of a better word - "beery" beer. I like the flavor. Thus I normally steer towards Europeant &/or dark beers when I'm in the mood for one.

Like Guinness stout, & Yuengling Porter for the darks; and really any European-style (St. Paulie Girl, even Heineken) for lighter libations.

Have never been interested in the weird stuff - pumpkin ales, blueberry ales, yadayadayada.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

bits--you need to visit Newport, OR and the Rogue Mothership! Our favorite Rogue is their Hazelnut Nectar Brown Ale...mmmm...beer...

I thank Jimmy Carter everyday for his wise decision to undo the last of the Prohibition era laws restricting home/small batch brewing.

If you visit Oregon, a stay at a McMenamin's hotel is a must. They restore historic buildings (think schools, poor houses) and open funky hotels, brew pubs and the like on the grounds. Good food, movies, music venues, golf courses and, best of all, really, really good beer.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I haven't had a beer in about two years. I just don't drink it and never got into it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Love me some Harpoon. Also a big fan of Long Trail Brewery. Both great beers. I lived in Germany for 17 months and I love these beers more than just about any beer I had in Germany (or Austria & Belgium). I like all kinds -- dark, pale, IPA, etc. Also a fan of Yuengling. I can tolerate Sam Adams. Don't know how anyone dares to drink Budlight, Bush, Michelob, Miller, etc.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by cagey22 View Post
    Oooh! Can I join the club?

Love an IPA and like the OP, the hoppier the better.
    My current favorite is Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas brewery, followed closely by Flower Power by Ithaca brewing company.

My husband would vote for Stone brewery, Ruination IPA and we both like Deviant Dale's IPA from Oskar Blues.

A really good one that is hard to find is Heady Topper by The Alchemist, in Waterbury VT.

Okay, feeling a little disgusted with my snobbiness right now, but gosh darn do these beers taste like heaven in my mouth.

I'm glad there are others out there like me
    Ooo...we think alike! I LOVE Hop Stoopid (anything from Lagunitas, really). Also love Rumination. My super favorite is a local (Frederick, MD)....Raging Bitch by Flying Dog. Holy moly! My "every day" IPA is another local (Charlottesville, VA)...Northern Lights IPA by Starr Hill.

Just had a Heady Topper for the first time the other night. WOW!

i'm also a big Fat Tire fan. Love anything New Belgium puts out. Had something from Big Sky over the summer, but it was probably there IPA...I remember the name "Moose Drool" though! Flying Dog and Starr Hill always make great stuff, too. I have a love afair with a couple of Chicago microbreweries...I spent the majority of my time visiting with my sister drinking my weight in ridiculously good beer! I'll drink just about anything (there are just some hot summer days where a knock your socks off IPA is just too much!), though I'm not a huge stout fan.

Cagey, I have a good friend (an even bigger beer snob than me! I'll drink Stella Artois without hesitation...good "cheap" beer...she won't touch the stuff unless that's it!). She does a lot of home brews. Some I can drink with abandon...they are tasty but strong. She made a Christmas something or other one year, and it was like drinking a carbonated whiskey! She and will try crazy stuff like the Sierra Nevada Christmas stout, I think, that tasted like Christmas trees.

Another member here. I was never fond of the Bud, Coors, Miller type products anyway, so started venturing into more microbrews. Got really hooked on our annual ski trip to Colorado. Now we try to find at least one microbrewery on any trip we take.

Just spent a week in Oregon for a family wedding this summer and I think my liver is just starting to recover. Spent three days in Newport and really loved the tap/tasting room in the Rogue brewery.

I like 'em dark. Porters, Stouts, Amber Ales. But I will try anything. DH is hop enthusiast.

I don't really drink the stuff - but I buy the specialty beers in the hopes that our guests will think we are 'cultured' and can offer them variety!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Another Oregonian here. Rogue is good, but I'm kind of over it.

McMenamins' Ruby and Terminator (which can be mixed into a "Rubinator") are absolutely divine, but my most recent discovery and favorite by FAR is...

Sky High Brewing's Stratomarzen. Mouth-watering, absolutely, indescribably fantastic.

I swear, between the wineries and breweries in this state, it's no wonder I never want to leave!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Another beer lover here. I am actually drinking a Ranger IPA right now. We always have a fridge full of Lagunitas. We live 45 minutes from the brewery and go at least a couple times a month for lunch or brunch.

We are incredibly spoiled here in the Bay Area. Lagunitas, Russian River, Drakes, Pyramid, Anchor, Pacific Coast, among dozens of others...

I like a good IPA (my favorite is Sculpin IPA, followed by Lagunitas..), but I am also a big fan of all the wonderful new barrel aged beers (bourbon, wine, etc). Done well they are so yummy!!