The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you have a dream horse?

Or do you own him already? Here's mine: Tall, big-bodied old style Warmblood. Bay with chrome. Preferably mare, or personable gelding. Solid 2nd Level dressage, with some jumping for cross training and fun. Big, but smooth gaits. Quiet, quiet, quiet.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I'd like to believe that I found him.

Hot to jump but super chill the rest of the time, smaller, bay with chrome, good bone, super scopey jumper with the gaits to win in dressage, big personality gelding.

Skyline, an argentine bred warmblood gelding is awaiting import to start a career in eventing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHrcSNZtbz4 He is just so perfect for me, even if he is only 15.3hh

I'm a cliche, and kind of simple

I just wanted a grey Arab gelding, and that's what chose me.

I believe I already own him - bay welsh cob with chrome and the talent to do FEI but the demeanor to make a fun and safe trail horse. Oh wait, I own 2 of those
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Either black or Chestnut with Flaxen. Either must have lots of white, especially a blaze. Personality plus but chill undersaddle and solid three foot. Big Bodied and tall, around 17 hands. Probably Dutch or RSPI but any solid warmblood would be nice.

I own two dream horses already. I would be satisfied to have them and no others until I am an old lady.

The only thing I would change is to take about 15 years off of one of them. She is coming 20 this coming year. Her aging makes me really sad.

all my neds past and present have been my dream horses and ponies i love them for who they are or were
    and will say they give me that same love back time and time again andthey honour me by winning a lot lol

so yeah perfect

The horse I have now, but with a slower lope. And without the attitude he gets when the horse in front is "too far ahead".

yes, I do have him. Pinto half arab, good mover, talent for dressage, and great fun to ride.

Yes. Big - at least 17 hh. Killer flat kneed mover. Quirky, and a hot under saddle, but good ground manners. Very scopy, honest jumper, but likes to play out on the trail. Sound as they come, goes barefoot. Appaloosa, or Knapstupper crossed with a big Warmblood or nice Draft. Sigh.....

I've got several horses and they all have their attributes but unfortunately they don't occur in the same horse. Just need to switch back ends, brains, work ethic and legs and we're good to go.

I admit, I had one.... and he was mine, for a short while. Seems forever ago now, like it never actually happened.... and I almost wouldn't believe it except that my favorite pic of him and is hanging on the wall just to the right of me. <3
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

When I was a kid I never dreamed of any particular type of horse. Big, small, chestnut, bay, spotted, gelding, mare - it didn't matter, any old horse was good by me!

I got my first horse at 14 (I'm now 38) and while I've had several over the years and many of them were special, my current gelding is definitely my "heart horse". He's the last of our homebreds and while he was supposed to be for sale right from birth, I knew the first moment I laid eyes on him that he was mine. He's an 8 yr old Appaloosa, 16.2, black (or burnt orange-ish, depending on how sunburned he is) and while he's a big goof and I'm well aware of all of his faults, he was also pretty much broke from day one and even though he doesn't have the greatest of work ethics, when it's time to buckle down and get to work he does so without complaint. When he was a yearling a friend of mine called him an "old soul in a young body" and she was 100% right. I was always told that when someone offers you money for a horse that you take it, and he's the only one I've ever had where people have come up to me and asked if he was for sale, but he's not ever going anywhere. Every morning when I go out to feed, just seeing his face makes me smile. I hope everyone is lucky enough to find their "dream horse", even if they don't realize at the time that they have it.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I own her. She's amazing, but has been off the last six weeks with soundness issues. We're 12 days into a 2 week trial of equioxx, and I am so hoping she'll be back to full speed. Jet is 16, and she is my heart horse, best buddy, perfect ride.

I think we did. (and still have her in the backyard after twenty-two years)

We wanted an English Pleasure horse for our kids since both my wife and I grew up in the English world and everything here is Western.

Went back to Kentucky to find "an aged (at least seven year old) proven mount for the kids". The idea was they could start riding from the beginning.

Found a very nice long yearling, bought her placing her in training...came back a few months later to see her progress to find... a Western Pleasure horse in the making.

Humm.

After watching her work it was the correct choice.

Left her in Kentucky for two years to develop on the county fair circuit knowing if she could survive that she should be child safe.

She did well, we brought her home after having campaigning two years to be a backyard horse where she raised our four kids plus nearly countless friends of the kids

Our trainer's wife kept saying we were going to ruin a great horse... instead we found a great horse raised four great children to be excellent riders who won hundreds of classes.... and my wife even rode her to a competitive trail championship

Owned him. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../averynme2.jpg 17.2h of pure bay TB-tude, and the best horse God ever made.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Breed choice varies between tb or irish hunter. Gelding. Chestnut or bay with either a crooked star/stripe and white on at least one leg (though lately i've been intrigued by the idea of a solid with zero white). I almost prefer a clunky head /roman nose to a very dishy one. Looks (color, markings) really don't matter as much as personality/build, but this IS a dream horse....
    Enough substance or height to fit my frame. Brave and good mind, can be hotter but predictable without a too violent spook/buck! Moves off the leg well, wants to work, lots of heart and try. I would like to do hunter pace sort of activities, cross country obstacles, and show hunters (but not much of a need to compete often).
    BIG personality, goofy and inquisitive. I don't need the most athletic type, so long as he's sound and has a big heart.
    Last edited by bits619; Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Additional details
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I have mine "a cooking". It is in utero but I hope it is a filly so I can breed her when she is of age to a dilute and get a dilute Knabstrupper maturing around 16.1+ hands

If not.... I will have the boy gelded and he will be my "everything" horse
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Yes, of course. However, many of the horses I've ridden in the meantime have been good for me, enjoyable, and did not come in the package I expected.

I am learning to deal with the fact that so far, I have not gotten everything I wanted in one package
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I did. OTTB, dark bay, 17.1hh, best sense of humor and work ethic, absolutely stunning...positively regal. Beautiful extended trot, loved, loved, loved all other animals, but standoffish to humans he didn't know. He fractured his femur in the pasture this summer. He can never be replaced. He was a once in a lifetime horse.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant