The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So... Houston?

How far out would a person have to be outside Houston to be able to have horses without a killer mortgage? I assume the commute to downtown would suck, right?

Say you were trying to replace a bought and paid for 10 acre farm (not fancy, but nice enough) and trying to move it to Houston. Three equines and all that entails (buckets, harrow, car, truck, two horse trailer, tractor, troughs, riding mower, hay, etc.....) would be involved. I'm thinking this really isn't doable for me but...

1 members found this post helpful.

I want to know!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Depends upon what you call a killer mortgage and how long you are willing to drive to your workplace.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Go North, up 290 to Waller, Magnolia for better scenery, hills, sandy soil $20,000 per acre. 1 hour to downtown.

South-Alvin/Angleton will get you wet feet, thrush, hurricane alley. $10,000 acre

West-Sealy/Richmond/Rosenberg $10-15

Bellville is gorgeous, $10k/ac. Chappell Hill quaint and cute $15k/ac. Brenham $10k

Round Top/Warrenton is especially nice, $10k but far away.

Just my opinion, better barns are in the Magnolia area.

www.har.com

huntcup, Waller/Magnolia area is only one hour during the middle of the night when there is no traffic. We are in Cypress (18 miles closer to downtown than Waller is) and it takes almost 2 hours to get downtown in the mornings between 7 am and 10 am from here. So I'd say 2 1/2 hours from Waller to downtown.
    Last edited by Sonesta; Nov. 23, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

1 members found this post helpful.

Huntcup, holy crap, that's expensive! Especially considering I have no mortgage now.

I drive about an hour (38 miles) one way to work right now but Birmingham is much smaller than Houston. And how much is a killer mortgage? I don't know. Coming from no mortgage to any mortgage today (in this market) might be a deal breaker right there.

My sister is an appraiser and real estate agent there and being a horse owner since childhood, very knowledgeable on what you are asking about. If you'd like her info, pm me.
    If you have a poor mouth, you'll have a poor life. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    My sister is an appraiser and real estate agent there and being a horse owner since childhood, very knowledgeable on what you are asking about. If you'd like her info, pm me.
    Kathy,
    Does your sister, or company, have a web site. I love looking and have been thinking about getting more land. Im in the Richmond area now.

Commuting to downtown Houston sucks, end of story. Especially if you want a ten acre farmette. It would not remotely be worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
    Commuting to downtown Houston sucks, end of story. Especially if you want a ten acre farmette. It would not remotely be worth it to me.
    Yeah. That's what I kind of figured. D@mn. Maybe they won't ask me to move but they've been asking others. So either I hope not to be important enough to move (but good enough to keep) or they lay me off. I really can't see me moving away from my and SO's family and away from a paid for farm. On top of that, just how in the hell would I move my feral cat colony??? I feed them twice a day. Damn things would starve. So would the raccoons but that just fine with me!

Yeah, hate to be negative but I have lived all over Houston (Seabrook, Jones Rd/290, 1960 Willowbrook area, near Reliant Stadium, Spring) and can't think of a single reason to move back, especially if I wanted a little farm and would have to drive downtown hope they don't ask you to move!