The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seminole Feeds?

Or ... confessions of a feed schizo.

Questions: Does anyone have experiences with the Seminole brand or Seminole Wellness Perform Safe specifically? And how long do you generally give a feed to determine whether or not it's working for your horse?

This will make the fourth time I've switched my 12 y/o TB gelding's feed this year, between trying to get him off of corn/barley/oats and also to remain financially solvent. Poor Moose.

He's been on Pennfield Fibregized Omega since August, but paying $25 a bag for that is getting old, although angels sing every time I get a whiff of it and I think even the mutant ninja bugs that inhabit my feedroom pause in reverence when I open the canister.

Last weekend my instructor suggests that I switch him to something without molasses, like Bartlett Maintenance. I have no intention of putting him on Bartlett anything (does anyone know what's in it?), but since I've been changing feeds at the drop of a hat lately, I started looking around. I don't really think that molasses is the root of Moose's mental issues, mind, but I am sort of sick of the Fibregized freezing into a block every time the temp drops below 40.

So in looking around, I find Seminole products. Their Perform Safe pellets are molasses and grain free, at 9 percent starch, 8 percent fat, and 20 percent fiber. This horse is a bit of a hard keeper and I've never had him on anything lower than 10 percent fat, but I'm going to see how he does on it. Doesn't hurt that it's $3.50 cheaper per bag than Fibregized, either.

Moose doesn't need to put weight on at present, but I don't want him to lose any, either!
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Just a warning - soak the pellets before you feed it. I fed that in the past and long before when it was Spillers. Its the only feed that caused my horses to choke.

Personally for a hard keeper, this would not be my first choice. I fed that to my easy keepers. If I'm not mistaken, the NSCs come from the oats, molasses, etc right? The Compete Safe is the texturized version of the Perform Safe and is 8% fat and my regular keeping TB. did well on it and its 13% NSC if I remember correctly.

Take that with a grain of salt though BC I live in Florida and my feed doesn't freeze.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I feed Seminole Wellness Show and Sport (http://www.seminolefeed.com/seminole...sShowSport.pdf) and have had great results with it. It's advertised as a high fat, low starch feed and looks a lot like sweet feed although it doesn't seem to get hard in the cold weather (I'm in SC so everything is relative).

My TB is a bit of a hard keeper and he's borderline chubby now. He's been on it for almost a year and I just recently switched him over to that completely (he was previously getting 3 qts Show and Sport and 3 qts of a 10% pellet). I've noticed no change in his behavior at all. He's even gained a bit a weight since the recent change even though he gets about 4.5 qts now instead of the 6 he was getting before.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I had very good results with Seminole feeds when I had my barn. I would not hesitate to use them again if given the choice.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I feed Show N Sport now. Love it.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I started feeding it about 6 years ago. I was looking for a fix formula Low NSC's feed that would be palatable to an extremely picky pony with BOTH IR and Cushings. He started on their Wellness Equi-safe(was happy hoof ) and ended up on a small amount of Calm N Cool. Have also used Seminole Show and Sport for our hard keeping stallion saw good results with it comprable to ADM's Senior Glo he did well on both.

Recently put my hard keeping Broodmare on Wellness Senior she went from eating about 4.5lbs a feeding of their lesser line Senior to 3lbs a feeding of Wellness Senior.

I have not had any choke issues with either their pellets or textured feeds and love that it is fresh milled locally in FL.

I personally love the line , others I like are ADM's top line http://www.admani.com/Horse/Horse%20...ds%20Index.htm and Pennfield which you mentioned.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I also feed the majority of the barn the Wellness Show & Sport with very good results, one of my hard keepers that is also a nervous horse just stopped eating it one day though and would not touch it again, he now gets Kalm Ultra by Tribute which has been a excellent feed for him and 2 others on the farm.

i feed my 9 year old spotted saddle horse the compete safe. i choose seminole feeds over any other. he does well on it and my previous standardbred gelding did very well on it too.
    be kind to your horses mouth!

big Seminole fan here...not had problems with horses getting hot on their feeds. Seminole Show Formula(formerly Perfect 10) has a higher NSC content but is a 10/10.