The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anne Perry
    Elizabeth George

both authors write british mysteries

Robert B. Parker (who died 2 years ago), so now I'm trying out George Pelecanos and the new Nelson DeMille book "Panther"
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

For traditional mystery/thrillers I'd recommend:

Lee Child - Jack Reacher series
    All the books are good, but what makes the stories so appealing is Reacher himself. I cringe at just the thought of the movie that will be released soon, where they cast Tom Cruise as the 6'5" 240lb blond haired blue eyed laconic MC. Anyway, the books I love most from the series are Persuader, Bad Luck & Trouble and The Enemy. If you're interested in listening, instead of reading, the audio book versions are excellent. Dick Hill does a great job adding color to the stories and making Reacher's turn of phrase laugh out loud funny.

Robert Crais - Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series (and various one shots)
    Ditto the comment about Joe Pike. The stories are all enjoyable reads, but the stand out for me is L.A. Requiem, because you get answers about Joe. I recommend reading the series from the start though (The Monkey's Raincoat). The character development is important, giving the latter stories more impact and it whets your appetite.

Jack Kerley - Carson Ryder series
    Each successive story builds on the last, so I'd recommend reading from the start, but my favorites are Blood Brother and Buried Alive.

For non-traditional (paranormal):

Jim Butcher - Harry Dresden series
    Another series where I'd recommend reading from the start. Funny and quirky, it builds steam with the stakes getting higher and higher as the series goes on. Characters change because of the events that happen and it's a crap shoot who'll survive. My favorites are Dead Beat and Changes.

Ilona Andrews - Kate Daniels series
    I stumbled upon this series when I read its prequel short story in an anthology. It was the opening story and by page two I was thinking, wow this anthology's really good and I've got to see if there's anything else by this author!! Well written. Snappy dialog. Vivid. Gripping. Intense. Plus seriously nasty monsters. I was psyched to find there were five books out with various novellas and one shots with supporting characters taking center stage. I read them in sequence, avoiding any blurbs about the latter stories so I wouldn't have plot twists given away. The whole series is a favorite, but 'the best horse scene evah!' is in Magic Strikes.
    Last edited by OnThinIce; Nov. 24, 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added details, per knightrider's request
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Dick Francis
    Graham Greene
    Tana French
    I love Tana French. Her detective novels are set in Ireland and my favorite-and her first book-is "Into the Woods". Just fabulous. A psychological thriller.

Also check out Justin Cronin's "The Passage" and "The Twelve". They are the first two parts of a trilogy that follows an apocalyptic world after after a virus sweeps the US when a university/government project goes wrong. Very gripping.

Quote Originally Posted by OnThinIce View Post

For non-traditional (paranormal):

Ilona Andrews - Kate Daniels series
    I second Ilona Andrews for urban paranormal!

Lately it seems I've really been into dystopian or apocalyptic thrillers.
    Last edited by pandorasboxx; Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: ADD

Linda O. Johnston's dog rescue series is good.

Lord Helpus-if you look at an entire series on Amazon.com you can usually look at the publisher's description, and it says which book is which. Some authors like Dick Francis skip around a lot before they write about the same character again, so the publishing date helps in that case. For the McKinlay or Beck series I went to the Amazon page for each one, then the author's Amazon page, and figured out most of them. When I get multiples by the same person I write the number on the bottom of the book with a big Sharpie, and then I usually can't screw it up. I occasionally get them out of order though. And if you want a bunch of paperbacks sometimes Amazon and other online sellers have all of them, and give you a deal like buy 4 get one free. And if all else fails I just google the author's name, the character name, and book order. ANd when that doesn't work the latest book usually does the books in order on the front page. Apparently, I don't know when to give up.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series.
    Love Maisie Dobbs!

Charles Todd
    P.D. James
    Deborah Crombie
    Elizabeth George

What are the favorite books of these authors though? Would love your favorites...thanks for the names... lots of good ones here!
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Michael Connelly, both the Bosch books and the Lincoln lawyer books. I have read them in no particular order, and not felt lost reading the more recent books first.
    Robert Crais, especially books with Joe Pike.
    Robert B. Parker, all of the Spencer books.
    Lee Child
    Sara Paretsky
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Some authors like Dick Francis skip around a lot before they write about the same character again, so the publishing date helps in that case.
    Dick Francis's only real recurring character is Sid Halley, who was featured in four novels. Kit Fielding was the main character in two consecutive books -- Break In and Bolt -- but otherwise, the Francis books are stand-alones.

Also, the Sid Halley stories are not a 'series', in that you can read them separately or in any order. And you should read them because Sid Halley is awesome.

George Pelecanos is dreadful.

My favorite Tana French is The Likeness, although I haven't read the new one.

The best thriller I read this year -- actually, it was my most favorite book of any kind -- was Elizabeth Hand's Available Dark.

One I haven't seen listed yet was David Baldacci

I also like John Sanford

And of course, Dean Koontz. Though his aren't exactly your normal suspense/murder mysteries.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Anything by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. They often write novels together but have solo careers as well. They write techno-thrillers and twisting mysteries with horror themes.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I enjoy all of the Dick Francis books plus the ones Felix did.

I have a handful of Jonathan Kellerman:
    Monster, Evidence, Bones, and Deception are my favorites.

Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island, i haven't been able to get through his others.

Agatha Christie's:
    The Mysterious Affair at Styles
    And Then There Were None
    The Moving Finger

Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death

John le Carre: I have quite a few of his and like Our Kind of Traitor, The Little Drummer Girl, Tinker Tailor, and A Murder of Quality being my favorites.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

You just can't top Agatha Christie. Whenever the weather turns cold I reread the entirety of Hercule Poirot and my favorite, Miss Marple.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Laurien Berenson (her dog show series is great, and I understand another one is scheduled),
    I assume you know that she is a COTH member.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series.
    I have been devouring these books.

Some other mystery authors I like, that have not been mentioned yet

Sharon McCrumb (some fabulous parodies, and some serious historical mysteries/novels)

Felix Francis (continuing on in his father's genre, but with a different twist)

Margaret Maron (North Carolina based mysteries)
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet-Yes, and I was very happy to hear there will be more books in the series, because it's not just that the stories are interesting, but they explain the dog show world too.

I love the authors like Laurien Berenson (LaurieB), and others who describe things I'm not familiar with. I think that's why I like the ones with complex characters that evolve and grow over a series of books, and describe a world such as bakeries, catering (Diane Mott Davidson), cooking (Joanne Fluke, Joanna Carl) or other worlds that I'll never know, but are interesting.

My only boy dog was named after Ranger in the Stephanie Plum books (Janet Evanovich).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Love CJ Box's Joe Pickett series - Wyoming game warden, a regular guy you can cheer for, beautiful descriptions of the scenery and interesting plots.

Elizabeth George for the beautiful prose and complicated plots

Mike Carey for his Felix Castor series - supernatural thrillers

Christopher Farnsworth - President's Vampire series

Two older writers to look for are David Wiltse (John Becker character) and John D. Macdonald (Travis McGee character). All of the Travis McGee books have a color in the title. They're a bit dated, but still a good read. I'm still bitter that Wiltse stopped writing novels- his are great, but he became a playwright and is too pretentious now to write books. Sigh.

James Lee Burke -- I don't care for New Orleans itself, but these books made me fall in love with Cajun culture and speech patterns. Some of the descriptions and language are just beautiful. I think my favorite is _In the Electric Mist With the Confederate Dead_ -- definitely read in order.

I have read all of John Sandford's Prey books in order as they have come out, and while each one could be stand alone, I think they are important to read in order so that you will recognize the nuances with the characters and their interactions.

Love Elizabeth George -- all except for _What Came Before He Shot Her_ did not care for that one at all. I suppose I didn't want to have any feeling/sympathies for the killer of a character and didn't want to know how he came to be. Again, they should be read in order, so that you can follow the development of the characters.

But, then, the characters become like real people to me, so if I learned about them topsy-turvey, that would disturb my sense of order!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap