The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I really liked E. George but stopped reading when she published WCBHSH. I just couldn't deal with the fact that she killed of Helen I also like Martha Grimes (the earlier ones are better) and Deborah Crombie.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Dick Francis's only real recurring character is Sid Halley, who was featured in four novels. Kit Fielding was the main character in two consecutive books -- Break In and Bolt -- but otherwise, the Francis books are stand-alones.

Also, the Sid Halley stories are not a 'series', in that you can read them separately or in any order. And you should read them because Sid Halley is awesome.
    I thought that Sid Halley was a brilliant character, and Dick Francis' best.

Re Lordhelpus' question about order - even those that are in a series, like the Anne Perry books, I tend to read randomly and out of order and I am fine with it.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I really liked E. George but stopped reading when she published WCBHSH. I just couldn't deal with the fact that she killed of Helen I also like Martha Grimes (the earlier ones are better) and Deborah Crombie.
    If you skip that one, and just go to the next, it is still sad, since she is no longer a part of the story, but the Barbara, Nkata and Tommy stories still are worth following. But, WCBHSH, I just didn't like, even a little.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Sarah Graves,
    Joanne Fluke,
    Joanna Carl,
    Mary Anna Evans series is great, but read it from the first book.
    John Verdon,
    Faye Kellerman,
    Jonathan Kellerman,
    Archer Mayor,
    Kathy Reichs,
    Ann Rule,
    Karin Slaughter series about the detectives in Atlanta,
    Laurien Berenson (her dog show series is great, and I understand another one is scheduled),
    Jane Haddam,
    Susan Wittig Albert (the Herb shop series),
    Nevada Barr,
    Riley Adams,
    Jussi Alder-Olsen,
    Mary Kay Andrews (lighter, but still fun and not really mysteries),
    Kate Atkinson's Jason Bodie series,
    Donna Ball (Dog series, and the Ladybug Farm is more a domestic series but good),
    Jessica Beck donut shop,
    Lorna Barrett (book store series),
    Linda Castillo is good, but hers are very graphic;
    Lila Dare,
    Ellen Crosby,
    Robert Crais,
    Margaret Coel,
    Edie Claire,
    Chris Cavender,
    Susan Conant (doesnt' seem to be writing new ones),
    Kjell Ericksson,
    Janet Evanovich bounty hunter series,
    Zoe Ferraris-about Saudi Arabia;
    Earlene Fowler,
    Dick and Felix Francis,
    Dorothea Benton Frank has some mystery elements, but really good relationship books;
    Elaine Flinn,
    Sarah Graves;
    Carloyn Haines;
    Steve Hamilton (Michigan detective series books),;
    Margaret Maron;
    Julie Dramer (but read in order);
    Inger Ash Wolfe;
    Joseph Wambaugh;
    Nicolle Wallace (political thrillers by a real DC insider);
    Elaine Viets;
    Marcia Talley;
    Lyndon Stacey;
    L.J Sellers series about a detective;
    Les Roberts;
    Sandra Parshall;
    Jan Neuharth (set in hunt country);
    Ken Mercer;
    Leslie Meier;
    Jenn McKinlay (bakery series).

I have Amazon Prime and a list of books, and I love mysteries.
    Yes you do love mysteries! Which are your faves? Top five? I hope you don't mind that I made it into a list.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Linda O. Johnston's dog rescue series is good.

Lord Helpus-if you look at an entire series on Amazon.com you can usually look at the publisher's description, and it says which book is which. Some authors like Dick Francis skip around a lot before they write about the same character again, so the publishing date helps in that case. For the McKinlay or Beck series I went to the Amazon page for each one, then the author's Amazon page, and figured out most of them. When I get multiples by the same person I write the number on the bottom of the book with a big Sharpie, and then I usually can't screw it up. I occasionally get them out of order though. And if you want a bunch of paperbacks sometimes Amazon and other online sellers have all of them, and give you a deal like buy 4 get one free. And if all else fails I just google the author's name, the character name, and book order. ANd when that doesn't work the latest book usually does the books in order on the front page. Apparently, I don't know when to give up.
    I need to make a list of Dick Francis books because I buy them at thrift stores and garage sales, read them, donate them, and when I next see one I can't remember whether I've read it or not, especially since I might go a year or two between reading several. I may have read them all. Just not sure. Same with Patricia Cornwell.

Numbered and lettered are easier; Sue Grafton's Alphabet Series, Janet Evanovich's numbered series.

It's also easy for me to keep track of collections that can be read in anthologies, like the Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories.

Crichton's books are so distinctive that I never forget them.

My smartphone, windows 6.5, has only one compatible reader, so I can only read non "locked"ePub books. So it's Gutenberg free books for me, thus old authors.
    R. Austin Freeman series starring Dr. Thorndike. They were written in the 1880s up to 1930s, but still a good writer with a medical angle.

PETER BOWEN'S Montana mysteries.

I buy so many books that I created a word document. Author name followed by either all of their books, or one word of the last few so I don't rebuy a title. And they do republish with different covers too, so you have to watch out for that. It makes it easier when I'm on Amazon checking to see if there's something coming out by an author I read everything from.

I also have a book Wish List, with the publication date, author and title, especially for items that won't be published for a while, and ones I want to wait for the paperback edition of, and a note if I want to wait for the paperback to come out, or buy the hardbound.

Petey Pie-the list of publications by year is on here. Yes, it's Wikipedia, but it's still a good list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Francis

To find out what was published when, I usually go to google and type " author name and books by publication date", and sometimes the Amazon author pages for a specific author tell you everything they've done, but you have to watch out for reprints or reissues.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series.
    I love these.

JanM, thanks for the shout out.

LordHelpus, if you look in the front of a book where the author's previous books are listed, they are almost always listed in chronological order. An easy way to know where to begin if you want to start with the first book in a series.

Petey-my favorites are LaurieB's, Leslie Meier books are more domestic cozy type, Joanne Fluke, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum numbered series, and I used to read Susan Conant's dog series, plus cooking series, but I think they stopped publishing them. I loved the Sue Henry RV and dog sled series, but they seemed to have stopped too. The Dick and Felix Francis series are good, and always have great background research. Sarah Graves home remodeling series set in Maine is good, but you have to read from the first one. Jane Haddam's Gregor Demarkian series is good, but it's another one you read from the beginning.
    Last edited by JanM; Nov. 26, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, our own LaurieB's dog show mystery series is great fun!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Yes, our own LaurieB's dog show mystery series is great fun!
    I agree, love LaurieB, and I am just waiting for news on the next one!!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Default Michael Connelly Just Released A New Book!

For all the fans of Harry Bosch, Michael Connelly released a new Harry Bosch novel today!
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Harr...chael+connelly
    Sheilah

John Sandford
    Nelson De Mille
    Robert Crais
    Jefferey Deaver
    Harlan Coben
    I LOVE the Joseph Wambaugh Hollywood series!

John Sandford ~ The Prey series. The Virgil Flowers bokks are good, as well.
    Nelson DeMille - The John Corey books (Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Night Fall, Wildfire, The Lion. The Panther is the latest.)