The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Pit was attacked last night...

....and I'm soooooo upset!!

I live in a very dog friendly neighborhood where probably at least 25% of the homeowners have dogs. We all know each other and see each other frequently while out on walks. In general everyone is decently behaved except for 2 that I can think of.

Well, one of them got loose and attacked my poor girl The dog's owner is a great owner but insists on walking all 3 of her Schnauzer's at one time. On retractable leashes. One of them is aggressive and as a result, the neighbor reels this one in everyone it passes another dog to gain better control. This dog gets itself into a frenzy and will actually throw itself on the ground growling/barking/snapping while the owner tries to correct it. On Wednesday night the dog managed to break its collar while the owner was trying to reel it in. My pit mix (on leash and well behaved) was completely blindsided when this dog ran into her full force. I've never seen a dog fight and I've never seen a dog act so aggressively. I was right between the two and could not get away...so I started kicking. HARD. At this point I'm not sure that my girl even tried to defend herself from this dog. She is incredibly submissive and timid and I don't really know her past (we got her a year ago at 1.5yrs old as a stray).

I couldn't get the Schnauzer off of mine. It wasn't clamping down on my girl, but it was in such a frenzy there was nothing to grab. While the owner was trying to grab a back leg, the other two (who are generally friendly) also joined in. One of the thin cords from the leashes got wrapped around my dog's leg The owner was finally able to grab a back leg and picked the dog up by the leg and carried it into her house while apologizing. My girl just sat on the ground shaking and panting for a few minutes. I think I was probably shaking and panting too and we were both pretty shocked.

This is soooooo upsetting to me. My dog has never had a problems with any other dog, and I'm very worried that this could have a lasting effect on her. I'm pissed that my timid pit had to go through this. Our HOA does not have an aggressive breed clause, although it does have an aggressive dog clause. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. My husband is local LEO and I think we are just going to very nicely go talk to the owner (she really is a good neighbor other than this) and suggest that maybe she walk the dog in a well fitting harness without the other dogs present. My husband does not really want to get a paper trail started (I'm really not sure why) so we will most likely talk to her together.

I guess I don't necessarily need advice, I'm just still really upset by this. My girl is fine although sore with a few scratches, but no punctures. I really hope that this doesn't affect her attitude towards other (especially) smaller dogs. For as protective as she is, I'm also suprised that she didn't fight back to protect me.

Anyone have any experiences with the emotional baggage this could cause to my dog? Keep in mind, this girl has a high pain tolerance and wasn't really hurt...but we were both pretty shaken by it all.

Im sorry I have a pit too that was attacked by another dog (German Shep). It took her a while to get over it, but she did. She never turned nasty herself, but she would run the other way if another dog approached her (except my other dogs). Lots of positive playdates with well behaved dogs really helped her out.

Hope your pup is ok.

Aww I'm really sorry for you and your poor girl. I think as long as you stay steady, confident and reassuring with her on your walks she will be receptive to it.

I actually had almost the same thing happen to me when I was walking my shih Tzu. But it was my dog that attacked. I was walking him and another dog was coming my way(well behaved pitty x) and I will usually move way over or cross the street, but was unable to because of traffic.

And the snap broke on my leash and he went full throttle at the dog. Thank god the owner thought fast and picked his poor dog up by the collar and tail and held him till I grabbed mine, I was right behind so it was fast.
    I don't know of he was bit because it happened so quickly. I apologized profusely, and asked him to check his dog over to make sure he had no puntures or wounds, and gave him my number in case something came up. The owner was understanding, but I would totally be ok if he was upset or mad. I looked at my leash and the actual clip had snapped! It was replaced with a thicker sturdier snap, the actual leash was a good quality leather(well I thought) one.

It was not a good day, and now I check my dogs gear before I walk. And I do try working with my dog, but sometimes I just can't thru to him when he starts to go nuts. Picking him up and turning away from oncoming dogs helps some, but it would be nice if I didn't have to do that. This dog has no problem with little dogs his size, it's always the big ones, and he is lucky that the pit didn't get a chance to fight back.

I hope the owner of the schnauzer is receptive to your suggestions, and will walk one at a time or maybe muzzle on walks and get a sturdier leash/collar. Those retractable leashes are horrible for containing a dog that gets in a fluster. Handle is awkward, and is impossible to retract if you get into trouble, plus they can get tangled which is obvious with your poor girl.

We have so many aggressive dogs here that I never walk without a can of pepper spray.

2 members found this post helpful.

I can only imagine what would happen if I accidently pepper sprayed my girl. I really don't think I'm cut out to be a parent (to a baby human). I'm absolutely heart broken because of how scared my girl was. Can you imagine what would happen if my (hypothetical) child was injured or scared?

And talk about being a mother bear. Hehehe. My husband doesn't want me to talk to the other dog owner alone incase I lose my temper. Its HIS job to communicate to people effectively and tactfully. Lord help me!

Years ago, my dog was running off leash in a park where dogs could be off leash. He was going through tall grass when two doberman came out of nowhere barking and growling. I yelled and luckily, these two dogs had amazing recall. They turned around at the sound of a whistle. They never made contact with my dog. BUT, from that day on, NO dog could come close to mine. He would turn and growl. No amount of training (exposure to other submissive dogs by trainers, etc.) ever changed that. He was barely one year old at the time. Sigh. Of course, I know I did not help by tensing up as soon as we met another dog off leash (or on a leash for that matter). I would let my husband walk him, but he reacted the same way. At age 10, we had to give him away to my husband's cousin... he made friends immediately with the rottie next door and cousin was able to walk them together... go figure!

I've been forced to decide between 1) a gun which could, indeed, be drastic for my dogs, 2) pepper spray which would be temporary and permit escape, or 3) never walking.

I will never understand why people want aggressive dogs and yet deny their aggression.

Your poor pup. How stupid, 3 dogs on flexis, absolutely idiotic. Wrong on so many levels. Sorry I don't have anything positive to say. Hope time will heal the psychological wounds for your dog.

What a yucky thing! One good thing, to come out of it, is that you know your dog doesn't have that "bad" button that some do. I has a GSP that had one of those, and it was horrible. It sounded like she was a very good girl, given the situation!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post

I will never understand why people want aggressive dogs and yet deny their aggression.
    Happymom, can you please explain what I quoted further? I don't believe you were targeting me, but had to ask because my dog is aggressive with large dogs. I am always watchful of my surroundings and my dogs, when walking. He is actually great when I free walk him around the subdivision in the country. His attack actually happened in the small town BF owned a house in. (I was living with BF for two weeks until we took possession of our new acreage and had to walk in town).
    When I go for walks now, neighbors big dogs always come out to bark and follow us, and my small dogs response is to pee and kick dirt up everywhere and make this whining noise. But he doesn't try to go and savage them like he did in town on his leash. It's almost like he knows he's on a leash and going to be held back, so let me at 'em attitude.

But for the record I do not like this aggressive behavior and do the best I know how to handle it or avoid it. He is eight and neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    Happymom, can you please explain what I quoted further? I don't believe you were targeting me, but had to ask because my dog is aggressive with large dogs. .
    I'm not happymom, but I suspect that she was referencing the OP....schnauzers are unfortunately known to be on the agressive side, and it sounds like the neighbor knows that the dog is aggressive (reels it in, apologizes) but refuses to do anything about it. (harness, muzzle, etc)

1 members found this post helpful.

I walked my dog (100 lb lab) and the worst reactions we got came from two little puff balls that made quite a loud display of aggressiveness. He never even looked at them.
    The other surprising encounter came from a lady walking a Wheaten terrier. My dog quietly at my side, hers at her side. When we crossed paths, hers just lunged at mine, growling and barking. It surprised both of us. Sometimes, dogs just take one look at each other and I guess send bad vibes and bam... before you know it, a fight happens. They did not make contact because we both had a good hold on the leashes, but it was totally unexpected. Mine of course growled back!

2 members found this post helpful.

Happymom, can you please explain what I quoted further? I don't believe you were targeting me, but had to ask because my dog is aggressive with large dogs.
    Heavens no, Ms J ! Please understand I was talking about the people here with whom we have had to deal who seem to pride themselves in having aggressive dogs while denying their aggression and refusing the consequences of their dog's behavior. It is the children, the elderly and the non aggressive dogs that suffer the consequences.

I was not referring to your dog, no matter what the breed. I apologize if I confused you. I confuse people a lot!

My dog was a Golden Retriever male who early in his life was for some odd reason that my mother or I were both never able to figure, aggressive in force to any tall males with brown hair and glasses.

But after training, patience, and just plain old good living he simmered down to peaceful suspicion. Other than that, he was barky and protective of me (to other dogs) because he saw me as a pup, but he'd always love first and lunge later. So if you feel resignation coming, beat it off. Dogs are magnificent, intelligent and strong animals. And they do love their families, that's thousands of generations of pack instinct for you.

I know your husband wants to be a nice neighbor, but there needs to be a paper trail, and AC needs to make sure the other dogs are properly vaccinated and quarantined. They usually do a home quarantine for this type of thing, and you need to do a paper trail to help AC if or when (my bet is when) there is another attack by this animal.

And I agree with you happymom. I've never understood why people will have a very aggressive dog and do nothing to protect other animals and people. If you have an aggressive dog you have a responsibility to other people and animals to manage your dog. I've seen people take a lot of responsibility in routine, and protective measures when they have dogs with aggression problems, so people keeping an aggressive animal and do nothing is just lazy.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Smaller dogs can be tough to get hold of - there's just not that much there. Though I'm thinking more of toy breeds, not Schnauzer sized. I'd be thoughtful in the future about the possibility that this experience may have had an effect, but not hyper worried. One incident that was scary but not painful probably didn't make a big dent in your dog's psyche.

I'm a little curious, though, that you describe your dog as both timid/submissive and protective.

I'm a little curious, though, that you describe your dog as both timid/submissive and protective.
    Ever meet a Yorkie?

I would also suggest that she get the dog used to a head halter.

I am sorry for you and your sweet dog. Hope she will be ok.

Beyond scary. I hate those retractable leashes. I hop she'll eventually get over it.

Harness just encourage dogs to pull and a large dog like that will pull the owner off its feet while walking 2 other dogs. This dog needs a muzzle and a halti while its walked.

(I am assuming its a standard and not a mini.) but in any event it needs a proper leash and collar.

Jingles for you girl I hope she will continue to enjoy her walks.