The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation The Rat Ba$tards!

I just read a post where someone called the credit card companies Rat Ba$tards and thought it was funny, so of course that is why the title!

But, are they rat ba$tards?? Or are we just greedy "gimmie right nows"?

I have a credit card from US Bank, I use it for gas mostly. It is due on the 9th of each month and I usually pay it on my US Bank mobile app from my phone. A few weeks ago I noticed a $35.00 late fee on my account (when you log into the mobile app all of your accounts show a balance so it is easy to see). I called and was informed that payments made on a mobile app after 7:00 pm Eastern time received a $35.00 late fee. So I asked why would it be different if I went to the US Bank at the Albertsons in Port Orchard, WA that is open until 7:00 pm to make that payment. They had no real answer

I got the $35.00 waived but sheesh! $35.00 for an hour late!!???
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Default When you're late, you're late.

We got interest charges once because some data entry operator misread .98 as .93, meaning we paid all the bill but .05 cents, which since it was a substantial bill, made absolutely zero sense.

They do have to have a cut off for receipt of bills, but having the branch office open at 7 PM on the West coast but the last three hours "not count", that's just East coast elitism. My employer has a national phone line for certain enrollment plans that does the same thing and as far as I'm concerned it's just there to exclude West coasters - of course from the East coast perspective having to wait till noon to get any satisfaction from a business call to the West coast is the same sort of thing.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

that's why they are called rat bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

The origin of the phrase Rat Bastard is from the mafia. The two worst things to be...a rat (becoming a government informant) or a bastard (for a "made" Italian man...parentage has to be proven as 100% Italian. Another serious insult would be Motherless F***)

Considering so many banks shake down their own clients with usurious fees and fines...I think the mafia term fits just about perfectly.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

4 members found this post helpful.

Excuse me, as a rat owner, I have to say I am offended by the term 'rat ba$tards' and insist everyone stop using it. Immediately. You'll have to use the phrase 'rodently challenged fatherless creature' instead. Commence!

5 members found this post helpful.

There is a $4.00 fee to use "rodently challenged fatherless creature".
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    There is a $4.00 fee to use "rodently challenged fatherless creature".
    Best pay it or i'm gonna COMPLAIN REAL LOUD!

You guys are nuts....

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    The origin of the phrase Rat Bastard is from the mafia. The two worst things to be...a rat (becoming a government informant) or a bastard (for a "made" Italian man...parentage has to be proven as 100% Italian. Another serious insult would be Motherless F***)
    Thank you for the etymology. I did not know that. So is rat ba$stard properly spelled with a hyphen? A hybrid of both of the worst breeds of ignominious monster?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat