The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default QH-sized bridles?

Anyone know of any brands other than Collegiate that make QH-sized bridles? As in, generally cob-sized in cheeks/noseband but with a horse-sized browband? I need a new bridle for my guy, but hate having to try to mix-and-match to fit his bulging brainy forehead. I know Collegiate makes a QH size, and am not opposed to that one, but just want to get other options.

Edgewood will allow you to get different piece sizes, and justbridles.com also has that option on a lot of their bridles. My horse wears a Edgewood cob in the nose, but a horse sized cheek and browband.

You'd think by now that enough people would recognize that a huge number of horses fit this kind of description and that it would be a standard size.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

Try your local consignment shop. They will probably let you mix pieces.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I think Vespucci made a QH bridle for a while.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Vespucci makes an entire quarter horse line of bridles.

And I can't say enough good things about justbridles.com, their options are fantastic.

I got an edgewood wide noseband/crown that worked for my teacup nose, giant forehead guy. I did have to punch holes in the noseband but otherwise it worked well.

Try the Premier bridle from Schneiders. It's inexpensive without being cheap. It fits my Arab with a similarly shaped head perfectly.

Default Kincade

I have been happy with my Kincade quarter horse bridle. Not bad quality for the price and it fits well.
    http://www.jefferspet.com/kincade-pl...qu/cp/0040668/
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

I've had to mix and match, since my mare has a small horse sized head lengthwise, a larger/full sized nose, and an oversized browband. I lucked out, and got a Hadfields off eBay for $200, and a Smartpak browband matches almost perfectly. Yes, my 16hh horse really does need a 16" browband, lol.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

1 members found this post helpful.

Agree with mixing pieces. My old mare had a broad but short head - a full sized bridle with pony cheeks worked perfectly.

I ordered a bridle for my qh from justbridles.com.I ordered the aramas fancy stitched padded bridle in pieces so I could get o/s reins and browband, cob cheek pieces and horse size headstall and noseband.

Thanks everyone! Justbridles is awesome--I realized that they have my current bridle on there, and all I really need are shorter cheekpieces and my bridle will be perfect again. Super smart idea on their part, and I love that they have a size chart for all the parts of every bridle. Ordering new cheekpieces now!

The Collegiate QH bridle does not come with cob cheek pieces and horse size browband, it is the same size as their regular bridles it just comes with the 60" reins instead of the regular length ones.

My mom had that problem with her QH and she ordered from Bit of Britain where you can get the different sizes of the pieces. He has cob size cheeks, horse sized nose, oversize browband and regular reins.

I noticed this years ago when I rode welsh ponies. I used to have to order a size up in the brow just for this reason.

Now I use a cob sized HDR Pro bridle on my POA.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Smartpak bridles are great- I have two Harwich bridles for my paint mare. If you need a different size browband, cheek, ect you can call them. FWIW the horse size fits my mare really well without any changes. They also offer regular or long reins. The quality is fabulous, the bridles look like they cost 3x what they did.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare