The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Video Camera Advice

It's time to bite the bullet and get a new video camera. I went to look at them and there are a zillion choices. Ugh! I'm pretty technologically challenged, so I thought I would come on here and ask what you thought the best camera is for doing horse videos. I'd greatly appreciate pros/cons, likes/dislikes, etc. Thanks!!
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

Wow, I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more responses.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am following this thread with interest since I need one (derpy camera phone isn't working).

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Sony Bloggie Sport. That's all you need unless you want to do something really snazzy.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

LexInVa, that looks like a cool camera for capturing a lot of on the go moments! The only downside is it only has 4x zoom. Wanted something with a larger zoom option for use when in larger rings.

Sony handycam. It's pretty simple easy to use. Relatively small so you don't get tired of holding it. Pretty decent zoom and it can shoot hd 1080 which is really nice. Also it has a photo button so you can take pictures/stills while you are recording. Has a nice battery life as well and you can probably buy more if you need it for a prolonged period without access to a charger.
    I sadly don't have a lot of people willing to video for me so I often sit it on a ledge while riding and it does a nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBonnieBon View Post
    LexInVa, that looks like a cool camera for capturing a lot of on the go moments! The only downside is it only has 4x zoom. Wanted something with a larger zoom option for use when in larger rings.
    Try posting a budget & options that are important to you

If Search function is working, there are some excellent past threads on this topic.

I use a Panasonic ZS20 because is suits my purposes - shooting horse video is almost the only thing I do with it & it turns out some pretty amazing quality even when up against some much bigger $$$ setups.
    It's very compact & unobtrusive & the 20X zoom works for me, the sound pickup is limited on these types of cameras & low light video/stills are a challenge (a sensor limitation in this style of camera), I like the software & button positioning, GPS can be disabled (continuously active GPS kills battery life like nothing else ), it's one of the few cameras in this style that offers optical zoom in video mode (oddly a fact that few sellers of cameras are actually aware of).

If you're just entering the market, spend some time on camera review sites that discuss technical aspects (eg, is RAW file format important to you) - I was surprised by the limited knowledge level of many retail staff: find a camera geek retail assistant in your area

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Try posting a budget & options that are important to you

If Search function is working, there are some excellent past threads on this topic.

I use a Panasonic ZS20 because is suits my purposes - shooting horse video is almost the only thing I do with it & it turns out some pretty amazing quality even when up against some much bigger $$$ setups.
    It's very compact & unobtrusive & the 20X zoom works for me, the sound pickup is limited on these types of cameras & low light video/stills are a challenge (a sensor limitation in this style of camera), I like the software & button positioning, GPS can be disabled (continuously active GPS kills battery life like nothing else ), it's one of the few cameras in this style that offers optical zoom in video mode (oddly a fact that few sellers of cameras are actually aware of).

If you're just entering the market, spend some time on camera review sites that discuss technical aspects (eg, is RAW file format important to you) - I was surprised by the limited knowledge level of many retail staff: find a camera geek retail assistant in your area
    Thanks for your input!! The link came up with a camera.... is that what you have?

I am looking for a video camera to take good show videos. I would like HD with a good zoom. I'm thinking I will have to spend around $500, but that is relative... I want to get a camera I am happy with so I could go higher if necessary.

Can you explain a bit about this opitcal zoom in video mode? I kinda thought that was standard with video cameras? I guess I'm even more clueless than I thought! LOL!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Many cameras use digital zoom for video which crops and upsamples the image from the sensor or they lock the zoom function entirely. That's only in low-end stuff from what I know and even that is changing these days. You can get a nice video camera for around $700 bucks that will do what you want but if you want to do anything with the video, you have to have a newer computer and you can't do much with the video without a computer to edit and playback the footage, except connect the camera to an HDTV and watch it on there. If you have a camera that is the same brand as your HDTV, you can actually control the camera through the HDTV.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yup! it's a radical choice for shooting video but I didn't like the camcorders I trialed - unless there's a new star on the market, it's the only one in it's class that offers optical zoom in video mode.

When considering lower $ cameras, always check that video zoom is optical & not digital (eg the Sony Bloggie Sport 4X zoom is digital) - I was surprised by how many cameras marketed for video, switch to digital mode

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Default For viewing video at ringside

What about videoing a training session and then watching the video at ringside to review before going back to training session?

I ask because I have a terrible time seeing the lcd screens on both my phone and my tablet when in the sun.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I have a Sony Cybershot HX1 and it is amazing for sports filming, with 20x zoom and 1080p HD. Unfortunately it was discontinued but they now have the Cybershot HX200, which seems to be very similar but better technology. I paid about $350 for it.

I have a sony DCR SR45. as with the above poster it is now discontinued there may be a newer model out there similar. But it has been the best thing I ever purchased. I have had for over 5 years and it gets used non-stop.

Two things I would not do without - harddrive - as it is just so easy to download, keep videos. MOST important is a video stand!!!! Can't stress enough. Sure I have my husband for 1/2 of my shows to tape but I also like to tape my lessons, clinics, shows which husband may not be there. I simply put the camera on the stand and press record and it will record up to 3hrs of video. Then I just go through and cut/slash it up so I can post my rounds or my friends rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    What about videoing a training session and then watching the video at ringside to review before going back to training session?

I ask because I have a terrible time seeing the lcd screens on both my phone and my tablet when in the sun.
    I know they now have projection ones... where you can project the video on a wall and watch it. I don't think that's a feature I would use, so I have not done much research.

This is the one I am leaning towards right now:
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666415402
    It's on sale through Monday, so I have a couple days to decide. Any input would be appreciated since my knowledge on this is limited. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LaBonnieBon View Post
    This is the one I am leaning towards right now:
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666415402
    It's on sale through Monday, so I have a couple days to decide. Any input would be appreciated since my knowledge on this is limited. Thanks!
    Here are some Amazon reviews about the camera. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX150...DateDescending

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    Here are some Amazon reviews about the camera. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX150...DateDescending
    Thanks! Looks like it's not good with a MAC (which is fine since I'm not a MAC person)..... I went ahead and ordered since the price was so good! Thanks for all the help!