The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Crock Pot?

My mother wants a new crock-pot for Christmas. We both have had Rival brand crock-pots of a larger variety that do not get hot enough. I now have a small one that will boil a stew and certainly cooks things. The larger ones just, sort of, warmed them up.

So now, did we both have older malfunctioning larger crock pots or do larger ones have a tendency to not get hot enough? I'm looking at a variety of models and would love to hear someone say that they use theirs all the time and it definitely gets hot enough.

You'll find many people (myself included in some cases) who WISH they had their old crockpots back BECAUSE they cooked at lower temps & foods left cooking all day didn't overcook.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint), government safety stepped in & decided that many crockpots weren't cooking at what were considered "safe" temps. Thus all the new ones cook uber hot - even on the "low" settings. My new one definitely gets hot enough. Unfortunately that's frequently too hot. In fact, I rarely use it these days because it frankly gets just as hot as if I were cooking the meal in a pot on the stove, so it doesn't make sense for me to drag it out.

Oh - as for gifting your mother, think about how she most uses her crockpot, as there are SO many options these days.

There are ones with locking lids so you can take the contents to potlucks, etc., without spilling. There are also others (& these I myself find intriguing) where you get 3 different-size inserts (small, medium, large) so you can use the correct one for whatever you're cooking. And of course there are many that have lots of bells & whistles that only you & your knowledge of your mom will know whether or not they're worth it.

The Hamilton Beech "Stay Or Go" are DA BOMB!!! I bought 3: 1 small and 2 large. They have the simple High, Low or Warm settings but the key is the locking lid. I guarantee you, they are 100% leak proof. I've hauled those puppies back and forth to church many many times with soup, chili, sauce, etc. and not one single drop has leaked.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Great, thanks both of you so much. I didn't know that about the new crock-pots. My old one won't even boil water- and will just barely get cider warm enough. I put a pot roast in there and 12 hours later it was still not "fork-split!"

Bacardi- Sorry for your loss. It's very nice of you to chime in on this.

In 2010, America's Test Kitchen picked the Crock-Pot brand Touchscreen model. (There were no Rival models in the test.)

Slow cookers aren't *supposed* to boil the food. The max temps of the one above are 199F on low and 204.5F on high.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    Bacardi- Sorry for your loss. It's very nice of you to chime in on this.
    Thank you. I'm still numb. Robot. Cleaned up after Thanksgiving dinner mess in record time last night (even though it was after midnight). Really don't know what to do with myself. Too many memories. Husband has been an understanding Godsend re: my zombie-ism.

I wish someone would explain to me how the lid locking mechanism works. Never could budge the thing. I can't tell which make it is since it left this morning with spare ribs (now boneless) for 10 people tonight. I have one large one (maybe a Rival?) and a smaller one (for just two of us - Bravetti). They get hot. I always end up turning them down after an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    In 2010, America's Test Kitchen picked the Crock-Pot brand Touchscreen model. (There were no Rival models in the test.)
    Crock Pot is a name trademarked by Rival brand.

For a gift, I think the Crock Pot Touchscreen would be lovely. I have a friend who goes to regular potlucks and he loves the Hamilton Beach Stay n' Go, as described by ChocoMare.

For myself, I use whatever Hamilton Beach or Rival model is on sale at Target. The cheaper the better so that when I accidentally break the stoneware (or more commonly, I break or chip the lid beyond repair), I can just go down to the store and get another. I've currently got a 6-quart Hamilton Beach and a 5-quart Rival Crock Pot. They both see regular use.

If you want to jazz up the gift, throw in a copy of America's Test Kitchen's Slow Cooker Revolution. I've made about 10 of the recipes and they were all awesome. It also taught me some crock pot flavor and prep tricks that I now apply to other slow cooker recipes.