The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tell me about Cleveland, Ohio

Looks like I may be moving to Cleveland, Ohio.

I'm born and raised Southern girl. My soon to be real husband is born and raised in Charlotte, though he has family in Pittsburgh. I don't think the family connections to PA are going to help us navigate the winter!

What area within an hour commute of Cleveland would be horse friendly? I've been looking SE of Ashtabula, but found a few small farms to the west of Cleveland to look at. I'd like to lease a small farm, but would consider boarding the ponies and renting a small house.

John will be bringing his telescopes and a very dark sky/good viewing is very important to him.

Do I need snow tires?

Anything I need to be aware of for the ponies?

You won't need snow tires. You'll need a SLED!

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    You won't need snow tires. You'll need a SLED!
    Whatever!

I'm concerned about frostbite, block heaters, and my ponies losing an ear to frostbite. Probably not valid concerns for Cleveland, but it's much colder there than here!

My DH and I lived in Hudson, OH, which is within your hour commute, for 18 years.

The Chagrin area has many horse farms, with boarding potential. You will find "Eastsiders" and "Westsiders". Each think that their side of town is the best.

You generally get less snow on the West side, because the "lake effect snow" generally blows East. They are pretty good about keeping up with the snow on I-271, I-95 and I-71. Sometimes it takes a bit longer in the burbs. You can get by with a front wheel drive car, but it is nice to have an AWD or 4WD vehicle. Be careful of folks who think that driving an AWD or 4WD car protects them from driving like an idiot!

Since Christmas is coming, have your family buy you a lot of polartec clothes that you can layer (if you are planning on riding in the Winter). Smartwool socks with nylon liners are a must, too. I ride in Irideon Wind Pro breeches. I have a quarter sheet for Tess that covers my legs, too. The helmet cozy cover is a must. Silk glove liners in polartec riding gloves work well, too.

If you do not have access to an Indoor arena, you will need to have your horses barefoot or shod with snow rims, to keep the snow from forming a ball (think high heel sneakers) in the hoof. If you clip your horses, then you will need a medium and a heavy weight turnout blanket.

There are awesome tack shops on the East side. In Streetsboro, there is Big Dee's, in Chagrin Falls there is Schneider's and Chagrin Saddlery (my friend Dana is part owner in that one).

There is always a Winter schooling Dressage and H/J indoor season at Chagrin Valley Farms, which is in Chagrin Falls.

If you are an eventer, there are recognized events at South Farm and Stonegate Farm and up in Erie, PA. There is a schooling series called the Northeast Ohio Mini Event Series. I believe that they are running about 10 events all summer long. Some of them go up through Training level. They are an awesome way to start youngsters or try moving up a level, before going recognized. All of those are on the Eastside.

Good luck to you. After 18 years up there, I was more than ready to move a bit more South. All of my family lives in AL, GA and FL, so I spent many years not seeing my family. My DH's sister lives in Boston. We spent more holidays with them, than with my family. Try to make time to go home to NC. The years tend to get away from you in a hurry.

Y
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

It's COLD in Cleveland. You get what the midwest knows as the "Alberta Clipper" which is a front of cold air that comes down from Canada. In addition to that, Cleveland gets far more snow than other areas of Ohio because of Lake Effect Snow. With the windchill, you can expect days when the temperatures are in the teens, but it feels like 0. There will be a week or two when it will be absolutely miserable, even for Clevelanders.

You won't necessarily need snow tires, but good tires on your car are important. Also, front wheel drive is a godsend...you'll find that driving in snow/ice with a rear wheel drive is anything but fun.

The horse scene is pretty strong in Cleveland. There are many horse shows at Chagrin Valley Farms (h/j and dressage). There's an event at South Farm and Jackie Smith's farm isn't a bad drive. Jeffrey Taylor is on the west side in North Ridgeville (near Elyria). His specialty is eventing, but he's getting more seriously into dressage (his main barn is also heated to 45 degrees in the winter). You have quite a few options, but with winter approaching, you'll need to get into the mindset of seeing the interior of an indoor for the next few months.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

might want to read up on Lake Effect Snow

http://cleveland.about.com/od/northe...lakeeffect.htm

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

when I read the original post my first thought was: "Oh you poor thing!" ROFL!

That said, I really liked Cleveland when I was there. Pretty decent arts scene, lots of horse activities, and (when I was there last) fairly reasonable housing. I certainly wouldn't mind living there. I liked ohio. :-)
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I tried to reply 3 times this morning but every time I did, it locked up...(wonder if thats a sign...lol)
    I moved here last Feb. for a job. I sold my 2wd truck and bought a 4wd car. Then it didnt snow...haha. Or get what is known as Cleveland cold. We rode outside in March in t-shirts (I have been told this will never happen again in my lifetime...lol)
    I live in Chardon and work in Gates Mills. Lots of horse properties out here. I love it here, but cannot comment on a real Cleveland winter. And I am also Southern born and bred; I find it quite pleasant here.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I grew up in Cleveland, in Aurora actually, which is near to the Hudson mentioned in an earlier post.
    There are a lot of horse people in Cleveland, and most reasonably sized boarding barns have an indoor. I taught summer camp at Chagrin Valley Farms, and boarded at probably 6 or 7 places in the area.
    If it were me, depending on where work was, I would look south on I-71 for a small farm. Think North Royalton, Valley View, Brecksville, Richland.
    I actually really like Cleveland. Make sure you check out the West Side Market! The reason I can't live there is the weather. Partly the cold, and wind. Mostly, however, the lots and lots of grey days. I just can't handle not seeing the sun on most days.
    I think you will also find somewhat of an attitude difference if you are from the South. I moved to KY from Cleveland and was AMAZED at how friendly people were in stores and the post office. It's not that the people are not actually friendly in Cleveland-- they are. But the Southern way of talking to everyone does not really exist there. On the plus side, trips to the grocery generally are faster without all the conversation! LOL.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

I've visited Cleveland several times and would have no problem living there. It is SO CHEAP!!! OMG. Gorgeous 1930's Tudor houses for $100,000!! If you are moving there with a job in place, you're all set. I don't mind cold and snow at all, so I can't speak to someone who would be from the south.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Plus it gets HOT in the summer. As in 90+ days. And no one has air conditioning.

I grew up on the east side, it's the best side

Houses are cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I've visited Cleveland several times and would have no problem living there. It is SO CHEAP!!! OMG. Gorgeous 1930's Tudor houses for $100,000!! If you are moving there with a job in place, you're all set. I don't mind cold and snow at all, so I can't speak to someone who would be from the south.
    Yeah, I am astounded at the bargains people are getting these days. My old neighbor was just down here, told me the house across the street is on the market for $1.2 million yet the house next door sold for $125K! It woulda gone for $650k easily a few years ago. So keep your eye out for the deals. Property taxes can be high, though.

I have to laugh when folks from up here think that what happens here is "hot". You might get a couple of hot sticjy 90 plus days, but it pales in comparison to the neverending opressiveness that is a southern summer!
    carolprudm

Yeah, but there is no A/C and weeks on end of sticky hot 90+ days can get miserable.

It's basically all of July and August, though there were some 100 degree days in May this year if I recall correctly. The winters certainly aren't like when I was a kid.

I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

All I know is that Cleveland rocks.

(sorry, I had to...carry on...)

2 members found this post helpful.

No one actually "lives in Cleveland" unless they are unluckly.. They live like others have said east, west or south of Cleveland. East you have the Chagrin Falls area very pretty very horsey and by Ohio standards expensive . I would love to live there again. As I recall it is on a good day that is not counting the upto the what 2 or 3 feet of partly cloudy in your driveway you have to remove in the morning.. about a 45-60 min drive to Cleveland. (the enter key is not working on my computer sorry) Or you could go south. to Medina or Wayne counties they are horsey also. Medina is a mix of styles but cheaper than /Chagrin by a hole bunch. But you will find barns with indoors and wash racks and hot and cold water. But it lacks tack shops unless you count Valley Tack which ok but the hrs are strange and Litchfield is last I was there is stuff that is for the crowd that think they got a good deal on a 75$ saddle. As for the commute for Medina it about 45-60 minutes depending on how much snow. It is in the secondary snow belt so not as much as Chagrin Falls most of the time. Then there is Wayne county a farming county lots of victoran homes. Homes in general are cheap there unless you want a Mcmansion then you are talking on the 300k and up price range. There are a few barn with indoors with hot and cold water. But mostly out doors with cold water. The most one can see as a traffic jam in Wayne county is 4 or 5 cars behind an Amish buggie. The commute to Cleveland is probably 50-75 minutes. Depending on the snow to the north, Wayne county is in any of the snow belts itself but some times gets leftovers.. And they haven't a clue on how to apply the plow to the roads but they are gold medal winners when it comes to spreading salt so sometimes getting to the county border can be interesting.
    Friend of bar .ka

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it's pretty well been coverd by Auburn and others. But if you don't want snow up to your waist, stay away from Ashtabula and Geauga Counties! Every storm warning hits them with mountains of Lake Effect snow. Go a bit south or west to Medina Co., Summit or Portage co. and you will find less snow and plenty of horse country. Winters here, though there is snow, are not THAT cold, rarely in the negative temps and summers are mild with only maybe a week in the 90's rarely over 100. Nothing compared to the negative temps and 100+ months I lived with in KS. I live in the Akron area and there are lots of places to ride in just about any discipline. Most places have indoor arenas, which for me is a necessity in the winter. I'm currently riding at Hinckley Equestrian and the place is huge, immaculate and their arena is HEATED! My husband and I both really enjoy the theater district in down town Cleveland as well as interesting restaurants and wineries that are around.

Thankfully we didn't get near the amount of snow they predicted for today!
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    All I know is that Cleveland rocks.

(sorry, I had to...carry on...)
    Dangit, you beat me to it. I came to say "All the pretty chicks with the crimson lips say Cleveland rocks! Cleveland rocks!"

I have family in the southern tip of OH, but it's a different world there than the north. I've been there for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame--seemed a nice downtown area.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

1 members found this post helpful.