The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well I did see it today and really was impressed. Whether it is historically accurate, I can't say for sure. My daughter thinks I'm old but I really wasn't there at the time. The acting was absolutely outstanding. No wonder there is Oscar buzz.

A historian's take on Lincoln ...

On whether freeing the slaves was the prime motive of Abraham Lincoln, as the film suggests
    "I think we still don't understand, sadly, although historians have been telling us this for a generation — that slavery really was a cause of the war. However, Lincoln did start the war to save the Union; he did not start the war originally to free the slaves. But that became a purpose for him when he realized that he could no longer move forward without a true understanding of liberty and union. He ran in 1864 for re-election on the slogan 'Liberty and Union,' and so it becomes the second purpose of the Civil War."
    Other interesting comments from the Lincoln biographer in his interview on NPR at http://www.npr.org/2012/11/22/165671...ate-is-lincoln

I don't think his original intent was to free the slaves. I think he thought the war could be ended by freeing the slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    A historian's take on Lincoln ...

Other interesting comments from the Lincoln biographer in his interview on NPR at http://www.npr.org/2012/11/22/165671...ate-is-lincoln

Is it true that Lincoln suffered from depression?

And a similar interesting fact: Eldridge Johnson, the mechanic who built the Victor Talking Machine, devised one of the first wide-scale examples of advertising and an extremely successful, international company suffered from depression. He was always a hands-on guy, but letters reveal that in later years, he'd disappear onto his yacht for months at a time.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Probably he did........

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Is it true that Lincoln suffered from depression?

And a similar interesting fact: Eldridge Johnson, the mechanic who built the Victor Talking Machine, devised one of the first wide-scale examples of advertising and an extremely successful, international company suffered from depression. He was always a hands-on guy, but letters reveal that in later years, he'd disappear onto his yacht for months at a time.
    Many believe both he and Mary suffered from depression. He long term, she after the death of their son. The, IMO cruel people, say she was just crazy.

we saw the movie last week - Excellent!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

She was a very intelligent woman - she ultimately lost 3 of her children and had her husband killed while sitting next to him. I might be considered crazy after all that too. That's just unimaginable tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Many believe both he and Mary suffered from depression. He long term, she after the death of their son. The, IMO cruel people, say she was just crazy.

we saw the movie last week - Excellent!

1 members found this post helpful.

Right now reading Mrs Lincoln (author Catherine Clinton), which I picked up at the Mary Todd Lincoln House when visiting Lexington KY last year.

Dying to see the movie Lincoln, and have loved Daniel Day Lewis since Last of the Mohicans (never knew a novel written in my backyard could be so sexy! Especially since we were forced to read it in 9th grade ), but trying to get this book finished first.

Yes, plenty of discussion of Lincoln's depression - and he really was an emotional man! (or perhaps they were emotional times). He asked Mary Todd to marry him after asking Mr Speed if he was glad he had married.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    I have no idea of the qualifications of the reviewer,
    Out of curiosity I Googled him a bit and looked at his other writing, Twitter and Link In accounts...not a particularly credible source. A recently unemployed graphic designer/creative writing major who calls himself a "Muslim Agorist" and seems to be a bit of a dilettante. I'm not a Civil War historian by any means, but neither is this author .

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Out of curiosity I Googled him a bit and looked at his other writing, Twitter and Link In accounts...not a particularly credible source. A recently unemployed graphic designer/creative writing major who calls himself a "Muslim Agorist" and seems to be a bit of a dilettante. I'm not a Civil War historian by any means, but neither is this author .
    Well then, as someone who works in TV and airs programming with actual respected historians, and who grew up 20 minutes from Antietam, I'm probably at least as qualified as that reviewer to review the film

We saw it Friday night, and had to get tickets to the 10:40 show to get in--and that was buying ahead of time. (And for any fellow NOVA residents, I have to highly recommend the new Angelika Film Center in Merrifield!) I thought they did a wonderful job with the film, particularly Day-Lewis, but was also very pleasantly surprised by Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field, both of whom can so easily veer into scenery-chewing, and here were quite solid in their roles, Jones particularly. What particularly stuck me was that they did show the conflict in Lincoln, and the very clear understanding that he was making decisions he knew was questionable, but saw the greater goal as the justifier--that prolonging the war another two weeks might bring the 13th Amendment to passage, and that was a tradeoff he clearly weighed and was willing to make. It also presented the conundrum of the Emancipation Proclamation in a way I'd never thought about before, but rather just sort of took on its face without thinking much about it. The SO and I had a very interesting discussion on the way home about it!

Having seen both this and Argo, I have a feeling those are the big Best Picture contenders for the year. Now I'd really like to see some strong female performances, which I haven't seen thus far this year.

1 members found this post helpful.