The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lincoln

Has anyone seen Lincoln? I thought it was great and Daniel Day-Lewis was wonderful. Of course I am a history buff. It looks like politics was a nasty game in the 1800's as it is today.

I'm a history buff too and I'm looking forward to seeing Lincoln this weekend. OP, you gotta see Argo if you like that sort of thing. Fantastic movie!

I really enjoyed it and also thought Daniel Day-Lewis was great. I thought he got lost inside the man that was Abe Lincoln, which was great. I kept having to remind myself that is was Lewis portraying Lincoln.

I loved it. Towards the end as he walked out of the White House I wanted to reach out and grab him and say "don't go!" I read where DD-L said he'd never felt such love for another human being he did not know as he felt for Lincoln after researching him and then playing him in the film. Amazing portrayal.

Intriguing to wonder what might have happened if Lincoln had not been assassinated. I'm going to see this movie next week and can't wait.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

PonyPenny is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Intriguing to wonder what might have happened if Lincoln had not been assassinated. I'm going to see this movie next week and can't wait.
    I have wondered that as well. Reconstruction was brutal on the South after the war and I always wondered if it wouldn't have been so harsh if Lincoln stayed President.

1 members found this post helpful.

OK, history buffs, what do you all think of this review of the movie? http://www.examiner.com/review/movie...-is-propaganda

While I like history, the Civil War era is not one that I have really studied (ask me about the Plantagenets and I might be able to dig up a bit of information from my active study days). So, I don't know that this viewpoint is necessarily relevant and I certainly am not agreeing with it, without doing some serious research. I can, however, see where it could be since the saying that "History is written by the winners" could certainly hold true.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Sic semper tyrannis.

OK, history buffs, what do you all think of this review of the movie? http://www.examiner.com/review/movie...-is-propaganda
    Nice try at highjacking.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Sic semper tyrannis.
    Um, really?

Lincoln, “Gettysburg Address,” Speech Text
    ABRAHAM LINCOLN, “GETTYSBURG ADDRESS” (19 NOVEMBER 1863)

[1] Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

[2] Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

[3] But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate-we can not consecrate-we can not hallow-this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us-that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion-that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain-that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom-and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

While I like history, the Civil War era is not one that I have really studied (ask me about the Plantagenets and I might be able to dig up a bit of information from my active study days). So, I don't know that this viewpoint is necessarily relevant and I certainly am not agreeing with it, without doing some serious research. I can, however, see where it could be since the saying that "History is written by the winners" could certainly hold true.
    I have no idea of the qualifications of the reviewer, and am no Lincoln/CW scholar myself, but I've listened to enough programming on, and read enough about, the period to point to several flaws in his article, which seems mostly to be a screed against Lincoln himself, not the film (which I am hoping to see tonight). For example, the comment about Lincoln explicitly supporting slavery in his first inaugural address wasn't necessarily an endorsement of slavery (which Lincoln was generally ambivalent on, from what I understand) but an effort to keep southern states from seceding from the Union, which they were already threatening to do at the news of his election. And the blockade of Confederate ports being a tax issue? It wasn't the Boston Tea Party, it was common sense that anyone who listened to Rhett Butler at the beginning of Gone With The Wind knows--the Confederate states were agrarian, not industrial, and by blockading the ports, you left them without any access to additional arms, or means of selling their crops to raise further funds, which means no supplies of any kind.

And oddly enough, yesterday I heard historian HW Brands comment on your "history is written by the victors" comment regarding the Civil War; he said in this case, it wasn't. It was usurped by the idea of the Glorious Cause, and that the south largely has written that portion of history.

I suppose that's a long way of saying I'm going to put more weight in the scholarship of an actual historian (Doris Kearns Goodwin, by whose Team of Rivals the film was inspired) and the review of someone like Peter Travers at Rolling Stone.

2 members found this post helpful.

Actually, I never depend on Hollywood movies on historical subjects to be particularly accurate or without artistic license. It's entertainment. If you are interested in the history of the Civil War, there is ample original material and scholarship to better inform you.

Like Louis, I'm a student of medieval English history which has had some rather "interesting" interpretations of the medieval period on the film screen. But my view is that someone somewhere might become interested in the history, learn more, and form his/her own opinions.

I do plan to see Lincoln soon, primarily because I like DD-L (who most certainly will win the Oscar for it) and a good friend of mine was an extra in the film. I want to see if I can find him in the driving scenes. I also expect to be entertained.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Except that Stephen Spielberg is VERY interested in being historically accurate. He hired a local historian here to oversee the accuracy of much of the movie. The recent "Richmond" magazine had an article about him.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I saw it last night. The acting is quite wonderful, and Sally Field deserves an Oscar for her performance as Mrs. Lincoln. I wasn't quite as taken with D Day-Lewis, but he really did an excellent job, all things considered.

However, as a movie, I found it ponderous and preachy. It often used a sledge hammer to make a point (along with portentious music) when a stiletto would have done just as well. To my thinking, it's really NOT a good movie at all within the limits of film art.

For an example of a really good propaganda movie, take a look at Alexander Nevsky. Or Casablanca.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

One can hope that seeing the movie might spur some interest into looking further into more Lincoln and Civil War history.

I guess it's been some years now, but when Ted Turner's Gettyburg came out, it really struck a chord--especially Pickett's charge. Got me interested into seeing the movie several times, read the book it was based on, and then when a road trip presented itself, made a large detour to Gettysburg itself.

Ahh wanted to see it tonight but it was sold out! Saw Argo instead which was excellent, although if course, liberties were taken in this film as well

Just finished the book "Killing Lincoln" which was very good. I certainly learned some new info about what actually happened that I was completely unaware of(darn public school education)!

I do plan to see the movie as I have heard wonderful reviews of it from friends.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

I just read the book "Killing Lincoln" as well and am really looking forward to the movie.
    I also wonder what would have happened had he lived as I also wonder what would have happened had Kennedy lived.
    I'm seeing Lincoln tomorrow so I'll chime in with what I think about it then.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeYaLook View Post
    Just finished the book "Killing Lincoln" which was very good. I certainly learned some new info about what actually happened that I was completely unaware of(darn public school education)!

I do plan to see the movie as I have heard wonderful reviews of it from friends.

Oh great you gave away the ending

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Except that Stephen Spielberg is VERY interested in being historically accurate. He hired a local historian here to oversee the accuracy of much of the movie. The recent "Richmond" magazine had an article about him.
    My comment was not about aimed at the accuracy in that they used the correct props, costumes or very basic factual framework. That's easy enough to do. The issue is interpretation; particularly when we are looking back from 150 years after the event. A director is going to have a point of view for the story he is telling. They change "things", sometimes chronology, insert characters,. etc. You certainly don't have to agree with it!

If the Lincoln movie stimulates debate about Lincoln and this period of history or gets people interested in history then that is great. I think the debate here is a positive thing.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

many of Linclon's ideas came from James Speed his Attorney General

Lincoln met Speed in Kentucky in 1841 when Lincoln visited James' brother, Joshua. Speed was already agitating for the emancipation of American slaves even then.