The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Can Someone do Something SO Bad?

I'm still trying to digest this. I just found out the other day. It was one of those horrid news stories a few weeks back where someone was found dead and the house burned.

How I missed not knowing my block was full of cops, SWAT, and reporters, I don't know. I've been here 12 years--not the nicest neighborhood, but not the worst. Straight across the street mom owns the house identical to mine (2 small bedrooms, 1 bath), and her adult son has been living there with his son (mother didn't want him when she got pregnant, so dad took him) who was about 6 when I moved in. There is also an old man boarder that lives in one room. I was friendly with the father and tried, but we just wave. The son I've seen outside maybe 10 times in 12 years. They play a lot of video games, and I know were living in bunkbeds in the living room back then. Then I think they converted the small garage.

My other neighbor told me what happened, and I looked up the news story. Apparently the now 18 year old son and a 16 year old friend did yard work for a lady. They knew she had some guns so were going to rob her when her boyfriend was away. She didn't leave, so the one boy knocked on the door and she let him in, and then snuck the older one in the back door. They then proceeded to strangle her and rob her. She showed signs of life. So they both killed her. Then they went out to eat, and came back later to burn the house down, stealing a car.

My neighbor heard the father ask his son if he had done something when all of the cops where there, and he said he had killed the woman. The other boy was living with them at the time, too.

I just can't fathom it. I mean, not the best of situations, but sort of normal family. I always found it odd the kid never came outside, but his dad is always very supportive of him.

I just don't get how someone could do this. It didn't seem like it affected him. Could a life inside the house of violent video games really make someone that cold? This wasn't an accident--it was really cold and horrid.

Some people are just wired wrong; sociopaths, psychopaths, paranoid schizo's, etc. So, so sad but IMO the son is obviously mentally ill.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Sadly, stuff like that happens all the time. You just usually don't hear about it unless it's very sensational or it gets attention for some reason.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Some people are evil.

If you want to stay more modern, it sounds like both kids came from f'd up families. The neighbor was living with the dad because the mom dumped him, and the 16-year-old friend was living with people who weren't his parents. Not normal and, though obviously plenty of people come through screwy or non-standard childhoods fine, plenty don't.

My guess would be that the video games were a symptom and not a cause of the problems this kid had.

And I don't care what they say about nature vs. nurture. Sometimes the best people just have rotten kids, and there's nothing they can do about it.

Try reading Columbine by Dave Cullen, the real story of the Columbine massacre. Really nice parents, really rotten kids.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes they're crazy. Other times, they fall into bad company. I have a couple of former students currently in jail. He and his brother and five other people were breaking into houses to steal stuff, assaulting people, ended up murdering a woman. Over her TV. Now his sister is involved (she was seeing one of the co-defendants) as well for witness intimidation.

They were nice kids, caring mom, etc. He was working at the grocery store, and I had seen him a few days before he was arrested - he gave me a big hug and was glad to see me. Still has me shaking my head.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Life is just crazy sometimes. I grew up in a TINY town and there were three people I know of killed there in my lifetime thus far. Two of the murders occurred on my parents' street - two different neighbors, two different people and situations. And the town is considered super safe, lots of retired folks!!

Sorry to hear about the lady. Shame people do not value life more.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I've played violent video games for close to 20 years, since I was about 13. I also had plenty of other hobbies like riding, band, and Girl Scouts, and I know the difference between a game and reality. I don't think such games cause people to become violent, but those already predisposed toward violence may be more drawn to play the games.

I think some people just have a tendency toward violence, crime, etc. It could be a product of their upbringing, it could also come from their environment/friends, or it could be inborn/mental illness/imbalance.

4 members found this post helpful.

Schizophrenia does not mean that someone will hurt someone else. It simply means the person sees things that aren't there, be it olfactory, visual, tactile, etc. Out of all mental illness it has one of the lowest violence tendencies. Being mentally ill myself (God forbid anyone find out who I actually am on here) I know people don't mean to but I take offence at people saying mentally ill people are violent, just like saying depressed individuals are lazy or Irish drunks. I would say that the person is plain evil. Simply, evil.

I didn't know him well enough to say about his mental state, but something like schizophrenia would have come out. I guess the sociopaths are what are truly scary. You don't really know who they are because they are such great mimics of people with feelings and morals. It's not really a mental illness, but a human without the capacity to feel for others.

I didn't get this until someone hurt me very badly and I learned about sociopaths. They do whatever they need to get what they want, and I guess murdering someone is just another step.

They KNEW this woman, were friends with her, she paid them and invited them into her house. They had the choice to let her live twice, and chose not to.

I just work with so many kids it scares me that you can never really know what someone is capable of, especially the really dangerous ones.

I still just can't get it. So many horrible murders lately.

I heard a study about twins raised separately studying nature versus nurture. Those in vastly different environments turned out almost exactly the same. It's just so cary to think some people are born with evil.

I will not attach the news story, but the photo they took of him just looks like a wide eyed innocent boy. He's in the serious lock down jail and the younger kid is in the city jail. I can't imagine they will ever get out.
    Last edited by Beentheredonethat; Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

Keep in mind, approximately 1 in 25 people is a sociopath. Really scary when you think about it.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that schizophrenics are inherently violent. Their disease can cause violent hallucinations though.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I am so sorry this has hit so close to home. It is very sad. I just cannot understand someone killing an innocent person like that in cold blood, someone that has done nothing to deserve it in any way. It seems so bizarre and pointless.

That is a horrible story - it would upset me terribly.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I don't know either.

When I was in high school (in a small town), one of my classmates murdered almost his entire family, with another classmate as an accomplice. It rocked our town. I didn't know the two boys, but I knew their names as they were frequently called to detention over the loud speakers in the school at lunch. (As were plenty of other kids that probably turned out just fine.)

He was recently denied parole, as the parole board found that he didn't experience "secondary emotions" like empathy or compassion. The board said he was intelligent and not suffering from mental illness.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

OMG. That story is so similar. Yeah, his dad said he tested gifted so was able to get him in a better school. The picture just shows blank, open eyes, like the guy from the movie theater shootings.

A lot of the "gifted" kids I knew in school were batshit crazy. Drugs, psychotic episodes, suicidal behaviour, etc. One in particular was a black outfit wearing Columbine type named Shane who always wore sunglasses with jet black lenses that you couldn't see through. Very creepy kid. Never really talked to anyone but he would always say weird stuff when his mouth did open.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Keep in mind, approximately 1 in 25 people is a sociopath. Really scary when you think about it.
    I'd like to see a link to this information.

As for what causes it...well, I touched on it in another thread, but I have to wonder if it's not something environmental. Like, overpopulation or something. I think I've heard of certain populations of other creatures becoming more aggressive as the population grew/outgrew. What's to say we are different?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

There certainly seems to be no respect for human life in this story. And often you can predict this when you see no respect for animal life either.

When I hear things like "the mother didn't want the baby" it just tells me the people in this group are unconcerned by the consequences of their actions and the future well being of those around them. These things are taught by parenting and by example.

I know an awful lot of kids under 18 who have seen their parents drift from partner to partner and live with siblings from multiple "fathers". The parents don't take into account how it effects their kids perception of how disposable relationships and therefore "people" are.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I'd like to see a link to this information.
    There is no information to back that up. A Harvard researcher made that claim in her book "The Sociopath Next Door" and that's what some people have been parroting lately.