The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Munchausen By Internet

Hindsight bad, foresight good.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow...that story was heartbreaking. Unfortunately, people like the sickos portrayed here along with drug seekers make it even harder for people with genuine illnesses to get help.

I know a couple people that use the internet to announce every little ache and pain, but no one (that I am aware of) that has faked an entire illness that way.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

A very good article that CLEARLY illustrates one of the darker sides of the internet.

And yes, it reminded me of someone who used to post on this very forum.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

7 members found this post helpful.

( @ Badger)

I must say I sometimes wonder about Munchausen By Proxy Via Internet (my own made up term), whether it be sick animals or children or spouses. I'm not talking specifically here (tho coth certainly isn't immune), but I read several different sorts of boards and there are some stories that just.... are off somehow. It's not just poor writing technique either.

What a lonely life that must be.

2 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I realized some time ago that this is a problem for someone I know. The question is how one responds to it, seeing as anyone who does it is sick- just not in the way the person is pretending to be.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

6 members found this post helpful.

I once had an acquaintance that ran a boarding stable that informed me over time as we developed a friendship that she had a rare type of cancer. There would be days when I showed up at the farm and she was 'too sick to muck, turn out, etc.' Of course, I pitched in...

She went to the local university for 'alternative treatments' because her case was so rare; her doctors were doubtful she would survive.

After about a year of this, I found out the truth. I confronted her husband and he just hung his head and said quietly, "She has a problem."

I was 18 or 19 at the time.

I haven't seen her since that day.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Yep.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I used to see it all the time back when I was on AOL because people were deeply invested in online interaction back then. Now, not so much.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

While not to the same extent, we have seen this occur right here on COTH. Sadly, it has made many posters very cynical & suspicious.

But you can sit in your cynicism or just use it as a tool to do your Due Diligence in checking out a story if possible.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Very interesting article.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

It's not just illness people lie about... it's all kinds of things.... I used to read a very large and established "mommy forum" and it turned out that one of the *Moderators* who was a long-standing, "well respected" member had completely fabricated her entire life. She said she was in her early 30's, 3 kids, a hubby in med school, living in NY. Turns out she was in her early 20's, no children, no hubby, lived in Ohio. Had faked her pregnancies online, and her entire life. She actually ended up getting into legal trouble because she had collected money for a gift for another member, and the money didn't end up where it was meant to....

There's a show on MTV now called Catfish which features people who have online relationships. I guess you'd call it a documentary.... I found it hard to watch because you could see the sadness/embarrassment/hurt on both sides of the coin when people found that their boyfriend/girlfriend was not at all who they thought them to be.

I dunno, I can't even keep the details of my *real life* straight let alone make up an entirely alternate online persona.... but I obviously it happens, a lot, probably more than most of us realize...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Sad. And a good reminder that Google is your friend.

Bah, internet Munchausen is so effortless compared to the regular thing. No memorizing medical trivia to fool medical professionals, no pulling out your hair or picking at wounds or inserting foreign matter to create infections, just...post whiny half-researched lies online.

Kids these days, I swear.

4 members found this post helpful.

Who was the CoTH'er who was guilty of MBI? PM me if you don't want to out them here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    While not to the same extent, we have seen this occur right here on COTH. Sadly, it has made many posters very cynical & suspicious.
    It happens all the time on Internet forums unfortunately. I remember there was a very odd user on the Eventing forum who claimed she was a student of Lainey Ashker, wheelchair bound due to a bunch of illnesses, managed to compete in horse shows, and a bunch of other things. All were pretty easy to punch holes in but the repeated efforts and the fanaticism with which she tried to push her story and "facts" were really disturbing.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I used to go on another site that was a support where there ended up being like 3 people within a year doing that, maybe more, because how can you prove it? So I don't go on there anymore because I don't know if you can trust anyone unless you know them for sure.

Based on my experiences, the pictures always get them in the end. It's easy to pick out liars from the pics they use to push their stories, and you can easily track images these days. Almost every liar I've ever dealt with on the Net has been dealt a death blow due to the pics they post and how they present themselves in the context of those pics. I remember one "local" girl I talked to ages ago who claimed to be an Equestrian - an A-show rider at that - and she made up a fake farm (by using the name of a nobody backyard farm that was around in the mid-90's that nobody would have called her out for using because it went out of business) and claimed that she was the blonde and beautiful former HS cheerleader daughter of a rich doctor who bought a farm for her and her landscaper husband. She talked a good game but she was mentally unstable and created a bunch of alts to go after other people, making threats to local competitors and attacking young girls who posted on several H/J and general horse forums (which were all the rage about a decade ago), promising with graphic detail that she would kill their horses in front of them and a whole bunch of other stuff. The pics she used never matched up and she kept making more and more claims about her riding, her horses, her instructors, and all sorts of other stuff. Eventually, she screwed up by sending me casual pics (not sex related mind you!) with completely different looking women in them, so I was able to put the final nail in her coffin even though I already knew she was a fake simply because nobody I talked to who SHOULD know her based on her claims and supposed associations through her name dropping could back her story up. I later determined via some digging through forum identities that she was just some obese nobody rider from rural VA who certainly couldn't ride well, had no notable achievements or horses, and was obviously nothing special. She apparently moved out to the West Coast to try her hand at being a riding instructor or something along those lines and I think she failed and came back to VA but I haven't seen any activity from her alternate identities for some time.

There's a current poster here who seems to qualify, even.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    There's a current poster here who seems to qualify, even.
    Oh do tell! You can't just say that and not give something for us to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Based on my experiences, the pictures always get them in the end. It's easy to pick out liars from the pics they use to push their stories, and you can easily track images these days. Almost every liar I've ever dealt with on the Net has been dealt a death blow due to the pics they post and how they present themselves in the context of those pics. I remember one "local" girl I talked to ages ago who claimed to be an Equestrian - an A-show rider at that - and she made up a fake farm (by using the name of a nobody backyard farm that was around in the mid-90's that nobody would have called her out for using because it went out of business) and claimed that she was the blonde and beautiful former HS cheerleader daughter of a rich doctor who bought a farm for her and her landscaper husband. She talked a good game but she was mentally unstable and created a bunch of alts to go after other people, making threats to local competitors and attacking young girls who posted on several H/J and general horse forums (which were all the rage about a decade ago), promising with graphic detail that she would kill their horses in front of them and a whole bunch of other stuff. The pics she used never matched up and she kept making more and more claims about her riding, her horses, her instructors, and all sorts of other stuff. Eventually, she screwed up by sending me casual pics (not sex related mind you!) with completely different looking women in them, so I was able to put the final nail in her coffin even though I already knew she was a fake simply because nobody I talked to who SHOULD know her based on her claims and supposed associations through her name dropping could back her story up. I later determined via some digging through forum identities that she was just some obese nobody rider from rural VA who certainly couldn't ride well, had no notable achievements or horses, and was obviously nothing special. She apparently moved out to the West Coast to try her hand at being a riding instructor or something along those lines and I think she failed and came back to VA but I haven't seen any activity from her alternate identities for some time.
    Now that sounds like you are pulling our legs.
    That would take being so on the crazy side as being practically non-funcional in real life, I would say.