The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default USHJA incoming President Babick - Moroney

I am surprised people have not been discussing this topic. How is it that Babick got the nod and support to be USHJA President 2013 and then Moroney shows up again on the ballot? I for one was excited to see Babick at the helm and change on the horizon. I believe that Babick's straight out-direct approach is a much needed addition to the USHJA. She will bring a fresh mind and I am hopeful the membership will stand behind her and vote her in at Election time. I see Babick as really understanding what us little people are looking for and to make adjustments to the system for us little people to get back in the ring and be competitive.

Moroney has had his chance and I am not swayed by his commentary that a new change in the USHJA means he should stay and help the process. If he wants to help then he should apply to be on a committee like everyone else and step aside for Babick to come in.

It seems a difficult proposition for employees of the USHJA to support Babick in lieu of their current boss Moroney throwing his hat in the ring.

This topic seems way too important for such silence. Any thoughts?

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes. Moroney's actions speak volumes. I don t care if the Gods of Horse Showing asked him to stay on. He made a decision, ENDORSED Mary and said he was stepping aside.
    By throwing his hat in the ring at this late date he 1) effectively divides the USHJA membership and 2) seriously creates doubt as to the impetus of his actions.
    This organization is not a club for the benefit of an elite group but an organization representing all who participate in the Hunter, Jumper and Equitation disciplines at USEF sanctioned shows and whose membership is mandated.
    This IS NOT for the good of the sport.
    I'm in disbelief.
    Last edited by Ruby G. Weber; Nov. 17, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

And then Julie Winkle appears to be on the ballot for President as well. I am on some sort of listserve that a few days ago said she was on the ballot in addition to the people already on it, but the link to the existing list didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    And then Julie Winkle appears to be on the ballot for President as well. I am on some sort of listserve that a few days ago said she was on the ballot in addition to the people already on it, but the link to the existing list didn't work.
    Wait, what??

There is no mention of that in The Chronicle's recent article. Huh.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...hja-presidency

The Board of Directors needs to hear from the membership before the vote. I strongly encourage all members to write the board, and copy Shelby French, with their support for Mary. They vote on Dec 4 I believe - so start sending emails! This is one time we can not afford to be silent
    Last edited by Tackpud; Nov. 18, 2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Change of date*****

Sorry - my error - Julie Winkle is running for Director at Large: http://www.ushja.org/content/news/pr.aspx?id=924

Cool

Moroney wasn't very good his first two times around--he is bad for the sport in my opinion. Let's not do him AGAIN--twice was bad enough. Does he want to just be Emperor of the Assn? Maybe King for Life? Get him out
    Last edited by feather river; Nov. 18, 2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: sp
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not a member of the USHJA.
    However, I found the whole statement by Mr. Moroney to be in very poor taste and certainly lacking in any diplomacy whatsoever.

"..on part my decision was the result of concerns expressed by a myriad of people I respect"

and "folllowing my decision not to run I have heard from a number of individuals on the subject of the USHJA presidency"

I'm sorry, but any way you look at those statements, they are rather a slap in the face to lady he had just recommended for the position.

I hear in those statements, that he believes that everyone was terribly concerned when he said he was leaving and believes that he must run USHJA and that no one (even the lady he supported) will be capable of taking over (of course this sentiment is coming from the "myriad" of people who are apparently begging him to stay).

As I mentioned, I don't know this man, however IMHO he has a lot to learn about "class".

9 members found this post helpful.

Can someone post the email addresses of the people we need to contact? Moronrey has had his time -- even POTUS only gets 2 terms....

Is it a coincidence that the first 6 letters in his name spell "moron"? I think not.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Honestly they should let all Senior Members vote, not just the board. It should be run like a direct democracy and everyone as a member of USHJA should have a say in who runs their organization.

5 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Honestly they should let all Senior Members vote, not just the board. It should be run like a direct democracy and everyone as a member of USHJA should have a say in who runs their organization.
    Issues like the ability to vote are one good reason to support Mary Babick. She is much more likely to improve the transparency of the association than the incumbent.

It is incomprehensible to me how Moroney could support Babick's nomination and then do this kind of about face and ask her to step aside. What a slap in the face.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

4 members found this post helpful.

Email addresses of the Board of Directors:

Bill Moroney - Bill2760@aol.com
    Skip Thornbury - skipght@hughes.net
    Max Amaya - max14144@aol.com
    Bob Bell - bbell@earthlink.net
    Lori Cramer - cramerla@muohio.edu
    Susan Harding - sharding@aimmedia.com
    Dianne Johnson - DIANJNSN@aol.com
    Larry Langer - larlanger@gmail.com
    Streett Moore - smoore@mcdonogh.org
    Robert Ridland - robert@ridland.net
    Geoff Teall - gcteall@aol.com
    Julie Winkel - mwstables@aol.com
    Chrystine Tauber - cjtauber@usef.org
    Beth Miner - beminer@comcast.net
    Mary Babick - ponyflyer@aol.com
    Shelley Campf - ozinc@yahoo.com
    David Distler - DavidDistler@msn.com
    Lynn Jayne - LYNNJAYNE@COMCAST.NET
    Candice King - Ckkodiac@aol.com
    Colleen McQuay - hdunit@aol.com
    Betty Oare - bettyoare@aol.com
    Louise Serio - LSERIO340@GMAIL.COM
    Danielle Torano - dtorano@aol.com

These are all publicly listed on the USHJA website, so don't think I'm violating any privacy issues posting them here. Please remember to copy Shelby French, CEO, as well - sfrench@ushja.org

It is really important that the board hears from the membership on this issue - Mary is an amazing leader and would be fabulous as president. She is open and interested in pushing the USHJA forward. She takes the time to listen and do her research, and will represent everyone equally. With the internal changes coming in the structure of the organization, this is the perfect time for a change at the top and a fresh vision for our sport. SPEAK UP EVERYONE!!

Another Interesting Election: This One's for USHJA PresidentPublished: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 11:48 PM Updated: Sunday, November 18, 2012, 12:18 AM

By Nancy Jaffer/For The Star-Ledger

See article here: http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in..._ones_for.html
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: remove full text of article to comply with copyright

4 members found this post helpful.

The email I sent:

I had been incredibly excited at the prospect of joining USHJA this year as I take my first steps into the hunter world. Mary Babick looked to be the breath of fresh air that would make this really worth my while. I don't have huge ambitions, I know I don't have the talent or skill needed to show in places such as WEF or HITS, but the thought of just going to local hunter/jumper shows was enough to make me deliriously happy. Maybe, just maybe, if I work hard enough I'll be able to take my gelding to Arabian Sport Horse Nationals. That, in and of itself, would be a dream come true regardless of whether we made our cuts or came home with a ribbon.

I really wanted to take him to Nationals for the green working hunters, and attend as many local USHJA rated shows as possible to qualify and get additional miles after I qualify. I do not, however, need to attend USHJA shows to qualify. I can qualify for Nationals just as well, and easily (perhaps much more easily) directly through Arabian shows. I also have the option to go in dressage, or sport horse under saddle. In AHA, we have our share of drama, but the Positive Change Facebook group is thriving and AHA is willing to listen. I am confident that things are moving in the right direction there.

However, the current situation in USHJA makes me hesitate to turn in a membership and pay the dues. I deal with enough organizations that don't represent my interests, and I refuse to join yet another one. If a person says that they are stepping aside and supporting someone else, to then decide to re-run and in essence imply that the potential new president wouldn't be as competent is an insult. It makes me question whether I want to join an organization where I truly have no voice and a leader can decide to go back on their word so easily, using phrasing that indicates an ego-based issue as opposed to genuine concern for the organization, its purpose, and membership.

I am sincerely hoping that this situation will soon be resolved in such a way that we can all move forward and enjoy the 2013 show season.

5 members found this post helpful.

Important issue on which to respond

Well HELLO! WHEN exactly did Mr. Moroney toss his hat into the ring? Who even knew there was anyone else on the ballot other than Mary Babick? Till I saw this thread, I hadn't paid this the slightest attention because I thought Mary Babbick was a done deal and was AOK with it! And why wouldn't I think that? It's been all over everywhere, In Stride, COTH, and other places.

It's VERY bad form of Bill Moroney to do this--not to mention erratic!

I'm really puzzling over NARG--now...I know they speak for a good number of the elite jumpers, but they are not THE jumper committee...some of them don't even show up when they are sitting on USEF/USHJA committees, and compared to the BULK of jumper riders across the country...uh, sorry....they are a distinct minority. IF that's even where this is coming from. I somehow highly doubt it.

It certainly isn't becose BM just changed his mind suddenly...there must be way more to it than that.

Anyway, it's time for him to move on and LET GO. I hope the BOD gets BURRIED in emails/letters/calls. This isn't Russia, well, not quite anyway.

I wouldn't place the blame solely on the Jumper members.

I suspect there may be a few who have come to realize if Mary Babick becomes the leader of USHJA the puppet strings will be severed. Likely a bitter pill to swallow for those who have grown accustomed to calling the shots.

I sincerely hope the BOD acts in accordance with the majority of the membership's wishes.

Change IS better than a rest.

Definitely write to the members of the board. Whether you want Mary or Bill as President of the organization, the voices of the membership - not a few power brokers - need to be heard!!!

So how fishy is this? Here is the home page for USHJA:

https://www.ushja.org/default.aspx

Click the link at the foot of the page, that says "Final Nominee Report from the USHJA Nominating Committee"...

http://www.ushja.org/content/news/pr.aspx?id=924

...And you get this:

"Final Nominee Report from the USHJA Nominating Committee

November 12, 2012

[I][I]Lexington, KY - The new USHJA governance structure provides the opportunity for the membership to nominate Officer and Director At-Large candidates, as well as direct nominations to the Board through the Working Groups and Affiliates Council. The new governance structure also permits members of the Board of Directors to nominate from the floor. Nominations from the floor closed on November 10, 2012.

The USHJA Nominating Committee met via conference call on Sunday, November 11, 2012, and determined that all candidates meet the required qualifications, therefore making them eligible for inclusion on the ballot.

The following candidates will be included on the ballot in addition to those already on the...

....original slate:

DIRECTOR AT LARGE
    Julie Winkel-Director at Large

NATIONAL OFFICER NOMINEES:

Secretary-Bob Bell-2year term

Treasurer-Diane Johnson-4 year term

President-Bill Moroney-4 year term

The Board election will take place December 4, 2012, during the first open Board Meeting at this year's Annual Meeting in Miami, Florida.

Only problem is that the link for the "ORIGINAL SLATE" brings you to a message that reads:

An error occurred with the URL. Please go back to the Press Releases & Articles page and select the article again.

So Mary Babick's name would appear to have been purged from the USHJA's website.

HUH?