The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
    Jos, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here. For better or worse, North American-based stallions compete for breedings in a GLOBAL marketplace. Therefore, if they want to sell breedings, their pricing MUST take into account the stallion's position (both real and perceived) relative to the competitive set.
    Yes, I agree too with BWC's post above. I really don't care how much less money a stallion may earn here in the US vs Europe. That is really the concern of the SO and not the MO. As a MO, I look globally at the prices, including the collection shipping fees (for fresh), and also look for the best match for my mare, in the Global market.

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree with this. Mare owners are told on this board all the time that they cannot price their foals according to what their expenses in producing them might be, but must price them according to quality and desirability in the market. IMHO, that goes for stallion's fees as well. I fully sympathize with stallion owners. Their expenses are very high and the prospect of recouping expenses is dismal. I do use domestic stallions when they fit my program. However, a domestic stallion (or any stallion in the world) must offer quality and be priced according to the desirability of his foals for me to use him, just as my foals and young horses must be priced according to their quality and desirability in a buyer's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post
    Yes, I agree too with BWC's post above. I really don't care how much less money a stallion may earn here in the US vs Europe. That is really the concern of the SO and not the MO. As a MO, I look globally at the prices, including the collection shipping fees (for fresh), and also look for the best match for my mare, in the Global market.
    Quote Originally Posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
    Jos, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here. For better or worse, North American-based stallions compete for breedings in a GLOBAL marketplace. Therefore, if they want to sell breedings, their pricing MUST take into account the stallion's position (both real and perceived) relative to the competitive set.

5 members found this post helpful.