The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need opinions on Canter cutie

I'm not looking for a U/L prospect by any means. Hell, I may top out at B/N if I ever get that far. LOL! I've had two OTTB's and adored them, but suck at assessing conformation. Can I get some seasoned eyes and opinions?

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=348

That left front looks really funky. The first pic may be an odd moment, but it also looks thick in the last photo. Overall he looks really nice and well worth getting a track vet to take a look.

PS He has poultice on his front legs so that may be the funkiness.
    Last edited by Debbie; Nov. 22, 2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: additional info
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

1 members found this post helpful.

I was looking at that LF too, but it appears he just had wraps removed and the discoloration is confusing my eye.

Bottom line - If he's sound after 61 starts, has a nice temperament, and your plans are BN/N then I wouldn't spend a lot of time going over his conformation with a fine tooth comb. He's a handsome guy with a sweet face who is worth a look. And at 8 yrs old you won't have too many surprises.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

The front left looked funky to me too, but in a different pic it didn't look quite so funky. But, like I said confo isn't my strong suit. I like his eye quite a bit, but will be the first to admit I'ma huge sucker for a cute grey so I lose my objectivity. ;-)

Thanks!

That left front looks really funky.

No matter what the level, it's more fun to ride a horse that is naturally balanced. With this fellas long back and downhill build it's going to be hard work keeping him from getting strung out and heavy on the forehand.

Or he could be the victim of some terrible photos. Worth looking at in person if you're close.

Imagine him as a plain bay. Still interested?
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymare View Post
    That left front looks really funky.

No matter what the level, it's more fun to ride a horse that is naturally balanced. With this fellas long back and downhill build it's going to be hard work keeping him from getting strung out and heavy on the forehand.

Or he could be the victim of some terrible photos. Worth looking at in person if you're close.
    I agree - worth looking in person and seeing what else is around at the same time.

I looooove the way his hip looks in the pictures, and that makes it worthwhile to me. Even if (or even more if) he were a plain bay. ;-)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I think in the first picture his left leg is not set down on the ground yet, his knee is slightly bent as he is about to put his hoof down or bring it up. It looks like the heel is not on the ground, and if you notice the hind right is also mid-walk.

I think he's a cutie who didn't get a great photo.

Of course, I'm a sucker for grays, too.

If you end up going to look, put this guy on the list. I had a Denouncer son that was the most amazing jumper http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=348
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

2 members found this post helpful.

To me, he looks like he has a low bow on the left front. His back is quite long, which will make it difficult to track underneath himself for dressage. I owned a mare with a back like his and this was my experience.

He looks a bit straight behind, too.

I do like his expression, head and neck.

Since you do not ride the head, personally, I would pass.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

My homebred has a long back and is a bit rump high. His front end is built uphill, so he doesn't feel like you're riding a downhill built horse. Dressage was difficult because trying to get engagement on a horse not naturally built for it is frustrating. He was also a little bit more difficult to turn. Just something to keep in mind.

I also think it looks like his neck ties into his shoulder a bit low, so that might give a "heavy on his forehand" kind of ride and he may be a little difficult to get to "sit down".

He does have a lovely expression and is an eye catching horse.

I definitely like that chestnut that scubed linked to more. I'd check him out pronto.

I think it's very hard to judge from the photos. Every CANTER horse that I've seen in person I liked better than the pics.

If the gray is sound with clean legs after racing 60+ times then he's going to be pretty balanced and built to last. I had a mare who race 58 times who had a completely clean PPE and a horse in my barn right now (that I'm going to work with over the winter) who raced 60+ times and has clean legs and floats when he moves.

I would certainly get a PPE but if a horse caught your eye, it's best to go see them rather than make a decision from a photo.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have a Holy Bull guy who is also 8 this year. I can not say enough good things about him and his awesome mind!!! Amazingly athletic.

Go look at him for sure!! Wish he was closer I would love another Holy Bull baby

He ran alot made acceptable amount and at one time someone paid $155K for him.The long back doesn't bother me if..he tracks up or over tracks....Go look and X-ray the wheels

I don't agree that this horse is downhill: In the first photo, all of his weight in front (or most of it) is on the off front, placed a 10" or so back from directly underneath him. If you stood him square, I bet he'd be level croup to withers.

If you want to measure 'uphill' the way Dr. Deb Bennett does (loin to base of neck), again with his posture he is quite a lot more uphill than a lot of TB's, in fact he is just about 'level' according to the way I understand Dr. Bennett.

I LIKE his neck and shoulder, I'm not seeing it tied in low at all. It matches his lovely long hip.

He is a bit long in the back, but he also has a very long neck and long legs, so I think he balances himself out nicely.

He does look a tad straight behind, nothing I'd get excited about if you're probably going to top out at B/N.

What does concern me is that in two photos, he is weighting mostly his right front, and UNweighting his left front. That tells me he might have something going on making him sore on his right front. Either he is a little sore in front, or the camera caught him at a bad time. Could be either one, you'd have to go see to find out.

I also like his description of being easy to handle and sweet. He spent a lot of time racing, and stood up to it...until now with the poultice and the possible favoring of a front leg. But the only way to know if he has something going on, lameness wise, is to go do a PPE. Or perhaps, start by watching him move and have the vet flex test him.

Liking his color is one thing, liking his eye is another. I'd like him as a plain bay, too! That's a nice eye, it looks like he wants to say hello, to connect with people- he doesn't look numb or jaded or grumpy. I'd sure go look, $1250 is pretty reasonable if you have somewhere to turn him out to recover from any body-sore, drug residue, or MILD lameness issues that are best treated by a 6 month regimen with Dr. Green.

if you like greys, I'd look at Soup Man
    http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=348

I just got an Alphabet Soup son off the track and he is a GEM!! Check him out on my website.His name is Hillside Hawkeye (JC name Souped Up Fast).
    Hillside Haven Farm
    From starting gate to start box!

Hillside Haven Farm
    From starting gate to start box!

Just chiming in to say I had a ridiculously long backed horse that could jump the moon. Dressage wasn't his easiest phase, but I could make a 30 on him at novice and I was (am) a so-so rider. So that's not even an issue. For what you want, I'd look at temperament first, then overall soundness. And just my opinion but i hate something that is so heavy/hanging on the mouth. Some OTTB's go like that. It takes the fun away if you feel like you're going to die XC from exhaustion. But definitely something to check out, even better if you get a chance to hop on him.

Quote Originally Posted by AUeventer View Post
    And just my opinion but i hate something that is so heavy/hanging on the mouth. Some OTTB's go like that.
    But that's just training