The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there some sort of method to price a used saddle?

How does one determine the asking price of a used saddle? If one is in excellent condition, and is not a sought-after high-end model, what % of the original purchase price is appropriate? I hate using eBay to determine a price, and tack shops usually have somewhat of a markup. Thanks!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

The same way you price any expensive item: by looking at the comps on the market (particularly at "sold prices" not "asking prices"), consider the market appeal, consider where you're selling it (for example, certain consignment vendors are better than others for particular saddles, etc.

If all else fails, ask someone who knows the used saddle market better than you do. Tack stores are usually happy to appraise a piece of tack for consignment and explain how they arrived at that price.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Truthfully, if a saddle is in good/very good condition and is 10 years old or older, I priced them at their initial selling price. Some things depreciate. Good saddles are not one of them. Back in the day when Crosby PDN were the saddles of choice, I never bought or sold one for less than the initial sale price. With current saddles made of French leather and super cushy padded knees that look 10 years old but are only 2 or 3, I think there is more depreciation.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Check with Rachel Schaeffer - www.iselltack.com (and also on Facebook). She will give you an honest answer.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    How does one determine the asking price of a used saddle? If one is in excellent condition, and is not a sought-after high-end model, what % of the original purchase price is appropriate? I hate using eBay to determine a price, and tack shops usually have somewhat of a markup. Thanks!
    I was going to suggest the eBay method, it may be your best option. If you search finished listings on saddles of the same or similar brands and see what they actually sold for that can be a good indicator of what the market value of your saddle is.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I think, in general, people price used saddles too high. Look at how many used saddles reach the end of their listings on ebay with not a single bid. For example, I often see used saddles priced just a few hundred dollars below what the new version costs. if I can afford to buy a used saddle priced for $1600-1800, I can also afford to just go buy it new for $2000.

I also recommend looking at ebay listings to find the final sale price of similar saddles. We also have a local tack shop that takes saddles on consignment, so if you have access to a place like that, you can browse the used saddles there.
    Last edited by NoSuchPerson; Dec. 1, 2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: What I typed the first time was confusing and didn't say what I meant to say

pony4me is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks! I have it priced higher than eBay and will take it to local barns so the person and horse can try it. I have someone at my barn looking at it later this week. If that doesn't work, I'll put it on my Facebook and make sure all of my friends know it's for sale. It's getting close to Christmas so I'm hoping it sells by word of mouth.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?