The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brown Sugar/Pecans or Marshmallows? Neither this year!

Ok, I'm a devout sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecan topping aficionado -- none of that yucky marshmallow stuff for me (just kidding, I know plenty love the marshmallows) but this year I decided to do something different, and we really loved it. It was flavorful but not too sweet -- Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Dried Cranberries, a Crockpot recipe from the EXCELLENT cookbook _Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker_ by Robin Robertson:

4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
    1/2 c apple juice
    1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
    Salt and black pepper (recommend freshly ground)
    1/3 c sweetened dried cranberries

1. Place the sweet potatoes in a lightly-oiled 3 1/2 to 4 at slow cooker. In a small bowl combine the apple juice and brown sugar and pour over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, until potatoes are tender.

2. Just before serving, smash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth; then fold in the cranberries. Serve hot.

VERY EASY, as you can see!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

1 members found this post helpful.

This recipe turned out well, and it's very easy. Cut up sweet potatoes, place in a bowl, drizzle olive oil on them (just a bit), stir or shake to get the olive oil all over the sweet potatoes. Place on baking sheet. Grind some sea salt and black pepper over them. Bake at 425 for about an hour. Drizzle with real maple syrup and serve. A friend of mine just came back from a visit to Canada, and he brought me the maple syrup. It was yummy!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

2 members found this post helpful.

I made sweet potato bread pudding, it was great. You can do a sweet version with brown sugar and pecan topping, or savory which is what I did..My family loved it, not a crumb left.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I made sweet potato bread pudding, it was great. You can do a sweet version with brown sugar and pecan topping, or savory which is what I did..My family loved it, not a crumb left.
    Care to share the recipe? I'm a bread pudding freak but have no idea how to go about doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by RegentLion View Post
    Care to share the recipe? I'm a bread pudding freak but have no idea how to go about doing this!

Yes please share! Sounds great!!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I'd like tradewind's recipe, also. But, just in case this forum gets shut down before she gets a chance to answer, if you google savory sweet potato bread pudding, there's lots of recipes that pop up. Here's one of them http://marocmama.com/2012/11/savory-...daysupper.html
    Be warned that it looks like this is one of those recipes that contains about 1000 calories per mouthful.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Thanks Louise
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05