The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you could afford to build your dream house...

What style would it be?

Where would you build it?

Assume you would naturally have the barn of your dreams (or not).

Me? I love 1800's Vermont farmhouses, also found elsewhere in New England, I know, but the iconic ones with a witch window http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window and reclaimed wide plank heart pine floors http://www.wideplankflooring.com/exp...med-heart-pine and front and back covered porches just push my buttons.

Painted white or barn red With a tin roof.

I'd build a Vermont farmhouse, but in Maine, with a view of the ocean, with energy efficient 2 over 2 windows http://www.houzz.com/2-over-2-windows and a fieldstone fireplaces in the kitchen and greatroom http://www.houzz.com/fieldstone-fireplace

What would you build if you could?

What is your favorite style of home?
    Last edited by lovey1121; Nov. 22, 2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: sp. I meant What. Not Twhat ;)
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

My ideal house would be a barn apartment on the side of a large indoor with stalls with runs along the long South side.
    Maybe if I played the lottery ...

I know, not that practical for most, but who cares?

Completely open floor plan log cabin...log interior walls as well. Large fieldstone fireplace, beyond fantastic kitchen with 2-3 ovens, 6 burner gas, large marble topped island for baking and quartz counters, enormous double sinks (can you tell I adore cooking and baking?) and seating at the island as well as a table to seat minimum of 12, prefer up to 20 if possible.

However, not a huge cabin. Just well set up for accomodating large gatherings but otherwise as cozy as possible.

Here in CT...in a place with decent views, very few neighbors and none close and one thing not easy to find here: large open established grass pastures with good drainage.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have a specific style, but every now & then I say to my husband, "Our dream house will have..."

So, here's what we've got so far:

Laundry room as part of the master bedroom closet (we have no kids) with a folding station/island/storage

Kitchen island with prep sink and 'trash hole'

Kitchen height cabinets in the master bathroom

Acid stained concrete floors (we have 3 dogs)

Open floor plan/combination kitchen/dr/lr

"Doggy digestor"-an in ground septic tank type system for disposing of dog poop

Bathing area for the dogs that is separate from the bathroom with hot and cold running water.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I seem to balance between at least 2 dream houses.

One would be totally self-sufficient, maybe a log home, with solar energy, very well insulated, lots of natural light inside, all natural materials (light-colored wood, tile, stone etc). Wood stove and fireplace, skylights, a loft. A big deck. By a pristine lake. Not too big, easy to maintain, fun in summer and winter.

The other one will some day be my dream house after I buy my sister's share and renovate it. It's a 2 building Mediterranean-style house, in a big yard, with a small pool, in the hills of Southern France. No bugs, dry heat, hiking trails everywhere, some that lead to the village and castle a mile away, a country side that smells like thyme and rosemary and sage...Now if we could get rid of all the tourists in July/August...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

MistyBlue:
    fantastic kitchen with 2-3 ovens, 6 burner gas, large marble topped island forbaking and quartz counters, enormous double sinks (can you tell I adore cooking and baking?) and seatingat the island as well as a table to seat minimum of 12

Oooh, add that to my farmhouse on a bluff in Maine

I would probably choose South Carolina or Georgia. Somewhere that has a change of seasons, but is not outrageously hot or cold as a rule.

I would buy a couple hundred acres, and fence it well.

Outside, I would have wonderful groomed trails for the horses, and a terrific little event course. Separately, I would have awesome dirtbiking trails.
    I would have a Very solid barn with an attached HUGE indoor arena that could be heated and with lots of fans for cooling.
    I would have a really large storm shelter built underground for horses and humans in case of tornado warnings.
    A HUGE outdoor garage for hubby to work on his bikes and do woodworking.

My house would be a 2 story log cabin. The main floor would be a HUGE living entertainment area, with big screen TV, fireplace (gas) and comfy furniture.
    It would have a large kitchen with an island. And a small dining room area.
    It would have a HUGE master bedroom with a HUGE master bath, with HUGE walk in shower. It would have a second LARGE bedroom, and a smaller bathroom. Upstairs would be a loft with another fireplace(gas). That space would have another TV and computer space, and bookshelves.
    The basement would be a HUGE entertainment type area. It would have an isolated super soundproofed room for my drums. And a large open area with pool table, air hockey table and Galaga video game as well as comfy sectional, big TV and bar. And laundry room. Laundry room would have a chute from the upstairs to toss clothes down.
    There would be a porch out front with comfy rockers, and off the master bedroom, a separate large screened deck with a big hot tub. This would have a view of the barn and pastures.

Ok, done dreaming
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

LOL, I would have a replica of Casa Batllo built
    Well, the facade, staircase, that wonderful ceiling, the arches...with some updates, especially a modern kitchen.

I've done a lot of thought about this topic this fall. My dream home...
    - Modest - 1,200 - 1,400 sq ft
    - Open floor plan with kitchen off the dining/living room and a counter separating it from them
    - Loft bedroom/bathroom on the 2nd floor
    - Mudroom with good storage
    - Lots of natural light
    - Majorly insulated to save on heating (don't plan on using A/C)
    - Decks off the front and back to take advantage of the E/W facing front and back for sunrise breakfasts and sunset enjoyment - one of which would be screened, so I can enjoy it even during mosquito season.

I built my dream house 3 years ago. I was the architect, designer, general contractor, landscaper. And I have yet to finish it because I am still thinking of things I want to do to it.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/P1000613.jpg

Living room and kitchen -- rooms were not painted yet and kitchen cabinets/drawers did not have the face boards on them, but this shows the general idea.
    http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...0090825_11.jpg

Living room facing the front door. The floors (15" - 24" wide plank pine floors) were an absolute must, as was the slate roof. I bought both things early on, so I would not get short of $$ and feel like I couldn't afford them.
    http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...sAug11no11.jpg

Wow. I would think had not moved in yet, but I see the sheet on the couch. So I must have been living there. The house looks incredibly different now. All the amenities like paint, trim around windows and door and living room carpet.... I guess I have come farther than I thought.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

3 members found this post helpful.

A log cabin--not HUGE, but with a great room floor plan on the ground floor. Probably not 100% wood heating, but definitely at least a fireplace and wood/coal stove. Hardwood floors everywhere. A finished basement/walk-out half basement (depends on where to build) so the cats could have their own "space" with cat-furniture and dog-free.

And an awesome bathroom. I'm a bath person. Deep tub, separate shower, lots of light.

LordH, what a great house! It reminds me of an English cottage with the landscaping and tile roof. Love the meandering walkway, and those floors are right up my alley

Add those floors to my Maine Oceanside farmhouse

Lots of log dream homes here - that's my second choice. But I'd be worried that they would be dark?

I would like to have an huge indoor arena with an apartment over looking the ring. Or one of those barnpros barn apartments would be nice too. Built on the farm in the pasture that I already have.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

My dream home would be a new build for the modern amenities, but in an English cottage style. Definitely need a screen porch/sunroom. Fabulous bathroom with the "human carwash" kind of shower. Lovely gardens for me to play in. Dog doors and fencing.

And most importantly, my dream house would come with a permanent caretaker to take care of repairs and maintenance!

I would just want to ad on to my 1785 Cape. I love our location. We dream of a kitchen with double ovens attached to a great room for family gatherings. Master bedroom with walk in closets, two bathrooms, and a sitting g room

I have two styles as well- city and country versions. I haven't read the other responses beyond the first few because I didn't want to be influenced!

City version, Charleston single family home with side piazza. Don't need much lawn but something with a water feature. Heart pine flooring, tall, tall ceilings, crown molding. Historical. My parents own a home similar to it, but no side piazza. It is on an alley/lane with windows along that side, so it's still nice. I would absolutely love (LOVE) to own their house, but i think they're planning on using the sale of it to fund their retirement... but since we're playing dream home, i would purchase the kitchen house behind their home and connect the two with a hyphen. My mom's done so much research and restoration (with renovation as well) to make it just lovely, that it would mean so much to keep that care/stewardship going. Other things I love about that house: huge tall doors to every bedroom with transom windows above, and low, heavy iron doorknobs. Robins egg blue dining room walls, an original color she discovered while repairing the room (she called the painter as he was picking up the sage green paint and to instead get a sample to match the blue! She was so excited!) Several times a day the school kids walk by on their way to gym, and the sound of the kids talking is quite sweet and refreshing. Being able to step outside and walk into in a delicatessen or art gallery just down the street. The old worn stone step into the patio, with the brick wall overtaken by moss. Plantation shutters. The weddings that happen weekly for months on end just across her street, oftentimes with gullah singers or other choirs on the steps. Gorgeous kitchen cabinetry, and ample bathroom storage (even if the rest of the house lacks closets!) Old hand blown window panes. Oh how I swoon over her squiggly window panes every visit.

Country house is more fitting for my dog-run lifestyle at the moment (and next ten years! Ack!). Country home would ideally also have wide plank flooring, reclaimed wood whenever possible, tall ceilings and lots of light. A front or side porch. A gravel driveway (love the sound of driving on... pea gravel, i think it is??) A separate dog washing area with big raised tub with ramp, right by the yard entrance! Built in shelving in at least two rooms. A laundry room bright and nice enough to feel like you aren't exiled in the dungeon. A welcoming kitchen open to the living room or large enough to accommodate guests while you cook because that's where people always seem to gather. Dog safe fencing throughout the property. A four stall barn to be seen from the kitchen with ring and opportunities to ride in the open. Oh, the Farmhouse would have to be two storeys with a cellar too... I haven't lived in a two storey house in..... almost a decade, and i MISS it. Exposed brick!! Almost forgot, but thats high on the list. Exposed brick walls in some place(s) of the house would just be... Ahhh. Heavenly.
    OK I'll stop there!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Well if you could mash all of my dreams into one house and make it look good. It would include all my pins... http://pinterest.com/bacoogle/home-ideas/
    ~ Unexpected ~

I would want mine built around a big courtyard, so that I could let my cats outside and not be terrified about them.

Other than that, I want lots and lots of light, a cozy sunny library and writing room, a screened sleeping porch, and a hot tub on a deck overlooking the ocean. All the other bits are negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I would want mine built around a big courtyard, so that I could let my cats outside and not be terrified about them.
    I also like the idea of a central courtyard. I think I would decorate it in the style of a Japanese garden and possibly have an in-ground hot tub in it.

Some other essential features:

1) separate room for cat litter boxes - this room is accessed from the main house via a small cat door. The human entrance is outside, right next to the waste disposal area. I actually had this in a house I lived in and it was wonderful. NO SMELLS.

2) several very large fish tanks with floor layouts that maximize the viewing of the fish (preferably in at least one room, from a hammock). These tanks are each 240 gallons+ and are SILENT. The plumbing would run through the walls, and behind each tank would be a small, insulated room that would house the wet/dry filtration systems with automatic water changer, quarantine tanks...etc. The automatic water changer systems would each be plumbed to an outdoor tank that could be used to water non-food plants. I suppose I could have a few smaller tanks with the standard filtration in the stand, but man, I HATE crawling around under and behind tanks to do maintenance.