The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why do all tarps suck?

I have a chicken run covered with what is supposed to be an ultra heavy duty silver tarp. It has never been completely waterproof, not even when it was first installed last winter. It may be that because it was stretched lightly that it opened up a gazillion tiny holes, but yes, you can see daylight through it.

I've resigned myself to using real roofing in the future, but for now, any clever, cost-effective suggestions for say spraying something on the top of this tarp that might make it waterproof?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

what about this stuff?? in the infomercial they spray it on a screen door and put that as the bottom of a boat, if it works for that it should work for your coop??

http://www.asseenontv.com/flex-seal/...6830&v=outdoor

This doesnt answer your question, but curious why does it need to be waterproof? Our chickens are happy roaming the property whether snow, rain or shine.

I hope somebody comes up with the link to those tarps that are made out of outdated billboard type signs. I too have a selection of tattered and frayed heavy duty tarps that leak like sieves. I'd like them not to leak like sieves because it lets the chicken feed in the feeders get wet and mold, and inevitably drips down the back of my neck when I go in there to feed. We have somewhat better luck with the tarp that is stretched taut over two cattle panels, making a hoop house. Not moving at all keeps them in better shape.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We were given an old Cavalia billboard, but now we're picky about just where and how to use it -- we don't want to waste it on just anything...
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    This doesnt answer your question, but curious why does it need to be waterproof? Our chickens are happy roaming the property whether snow, rain or shine.
    Because the area underneath turns into a muddy bog. The chickens don't mind, but I do, because then I have to hose my boots off when I'm done.

They have an extra run area that is not covered, but I don't have to walk over there, so it doesn't turn into a muddy mess.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I hope somebody comes up with the link to those tarps that are made out of outdated billboard type signs. I too have a selection of tattered and frayed heavy duty tarps that leak like sieves. I'd like them not to leak like sieves because it lets the chicken feed in the feeders get wet and mold, and inevitably drips down the back of my neck when I go in there to feed. We have somewhat better luck with the tarp that is stretched taut over two cattle panels, making a hoop house. Not moving at all keeps them in better shape.
    I thought it was Farmtek, but I just looked there and I didn't see the billboard tarps online.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I tried the rubber spray...it works for a couple of days, then turns brittle and disappears....sigh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I think the treated canvas tarps are sometimes more durable in certain situations. Of course, they are more expensive, too. I couldn't say how well they would work under tension as a roof, but it maybe it would be worth a try?

I bought cheap plastic sheets from the paint department at Home Depot and sandwiched them between two damaged tarps. The bottom tarp protects the plastic from the sharp pieces of hay, and the top tarp protects the plastic from the bricks that hold the whole mess in place. The plastic sheets are $5 or $6 for three 9'x12' sheets. When one wears out, I replace it. If you were using it on a roof and not moving it all the time like I have to do to get hay twice a day, it would probably last a season.

I tried the reused billboard tarps last year. They did "OK" but certainly were NOT waterproof, and with time became even less protective. They are USED when you get them, seams may be the weakest spots. Lasted thru winter, but was getting issues and was very stiff, hard to deal with when we got new loads of sawdust in and had to move it.

Husband had an inspiration, and purchased me a tarp like the semi truck folks use for covering loads on flatbed trailers. It has nylon strips, with D-rings under the strips, for tying it down. You can get the SIZE YOU WANT, unlike the billboard tarp company. They sell you what they have, which really wasn't the size I NEEDED for covering my sawdust pile.

We got the semi tarp, which is pretty heavy material. Grommets on the corners and TONS of rings to keep it where you want it. I padded the tops of bunker posts, anywhere the tarp might get rubbed, with pieces of carpet. Our tarp is 14ftx24ft for our sawdust bunker, which covers it well, with overlaps on the wall sides for good water runoff. It looks like the one shown as a Steel Hauler tarp.

http://www.tarpsplus.com/trucktarps.html

This is just an example, we didn't buy from them. Can't actually remember where we DID get ours! It is black, both sides, pretty heavy. Truck tarps are not cheap, but you should get good quality. If we don't have to buy a tarp for a couple years, maybe longer, it will have been worth the cost.

I am very happy with the performance of the semi tarp since last spring. It doesn't leak, though it may have condensation from dampened sawdust delivery. I want my sawdust a bit damp, which keeps it from being dusty in the stalls. We used Combi stock panels of welded heavy wire as a curved cover on the sawdust bunker, laid the tarp over the panels. The panels keep the tarp in the air, lets it drain off rain and snow, lets me drive tractor with loader underneath to get bedding. No having to move, clean off or lift the tarp to get to the sawdust underneath! We call it the "redneck shed" but love how it works for us. Tarp is easy to move back, remove the front roof panels, for a new load of sawdust. Husband pushes the sawdust back and high up inside, so truck dumping it doesn't leave it spread way outside the bunker. Then we clip the wire panels back inside the bunker walls, pull the tarp forward and anchor it back down.

So with my previous experience, I would now recommend getting a semi truck tarp for the best protection when you need a tarp. Not cheap, but doing an EXCELLENT job for us.

For months we had the giant plastic bag that comes over a pallet of pelleted bedding tied over the outside run. It did not start leaking, but before Hurricane Sandy we went and bought the white, corrugated plastic and my husband tacked that on there.

Those giant plastic bags last a really long time and the bonus is that they are free.

Goodhors we had two semi tarps for a long time, had been one big one. They got "borrowed" after about five years - kept stuff at a friends and didn't go back to get the tarp fast enough, stuff like that. They'd come to us that way too - left behind at a friends place. Very thick, very heavy, actually hard to work with and roll up and store but we've been leaning towards getting a new one(s). Especially if we can get custom sizes! Can you wrack your brain for your supplier?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I just bought a heavy duty silver/white tarp at TSC and put it over a chain link enclosure for my rabbits. No leaks so far! It was $60 (15x30 ft) and if it lasts a year I'm okay with it.

I would love to have a 'semi tarp' with all those D-rings... I want to be able to haul a bunch of hay on the flatbed without it getting wet! Just haven't found a source (and I suspect they run a thousand or more for custom sizes.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick