The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB mare pedigree

I know these things get really old, but I haven't heard of alot of these horses in this mare's pedigree, so I'd love some help and opinions! =) My friend is getting this girl as a broodmare and she was used for eventing, barrels, poles, etc and she has a really nice jump when I looked at her pictures. Supposedly level headed and throws paints (I believe she was bred to an APHA stallion before), she is a chestnut sabino with high whites and a big blaze.

Would love opinions on her pedigree. Thank you so much!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/northern+hot+stuff
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...96155136_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...08011207_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...06065980_n.jpg

Should be getting a conformation picture of her soon. Thanks again!
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

What a lovely mare. Gorgeous eye, perfect technique. I wouldn't change a thing except to add a hair more substance. (Then she would be Oh Star). And while I am wildly against random breeding, I hope the TB gurus and/or the October Hill peeps see this and chime in. There are some obvious classic names in there and contrary to many, I love me some Northern Dancer.

Thank you, nutmeg! =) I can't wait to meet her for sure, my friend agreed to let me breed her for an Anglo foal (I've been dying to get my own Anglo foal for a while now), so I'm hoping she'll pass on her athletic jump! I, too, am hoping that more people will comment on her pedigree or on her in particular.
    Visit MW Equine!

What a fancy mare!!

I'm no pedigree expert, but this is what I have in my notes regarding these stallions...

Star de Naskra-sport

TV Lark-jump

Swaps- soundness, eventers

Quadrangle-hunter

I also hope one of the experts comes on because I'd love to hear more, too.

bump
    Visit MW Equine!

Wow. When I clicked on that first pic of her, I got whiplash! Gorgeous form.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

This is the kind of TB mare that NEEDS to produce sport horses. She's lovely and her pedigree is close to spectacular.

Good and very rare things that make her special:
    1) Starbird Glacier is the sire of Eventing Olympian Jil Walton's mare who was shown advanced as recently as this year. Horse's name is My Sedona. What is rather interesting is that the damsire of My Sedona was Sauce Boat who was tail female to Uvira.
    2) There are two German sister Hanoverian eventing mares who have Star de Naskra in their dam lines. They have had relatively long careers at the Intermediate and Prelim levels.
    3) Tail female to Uvira. She is one of the greatest mare lines for sport there is. The stallion A Fine Romance has her as sire's tail female as well. Remember that there is a 50% chance that the sire's X chromosome will appear intact in a filly, so a Sauce Boat filly might have the Uvira line X chromosome instead of the one that comes through the dam's dam. Uvira is probably most famous in sport as the dam of Missy Baba.
    4) Buffalo Lark/TV Lark. This is a good line for jumping, but more important, it is an EXCELLENT line for long term soundness. Buffalo Lark's progeny either had VERY short racing careers or they lasted forever.
    5) Cornish Prince is always nice to see, as is Bold Ruler. Cornish Prince was the sire of Patelin, a blue hen mare; and his dam was a daughter of the very good line for jumping sire, Eight Thirty. Anytime you have Eight Thirty in a sport horse mare you've got a GOOD thing. Both Eight Thirty and Cornish Prince have numerous descendants who have produced for sport at FEI levels.
    6) Buffalo Lark's dam goes back to Chance Play, a son of Display. This is the Fair Play line which is very, very well proved in sport. Bold Ruler's dam also goes back to Display through Discovery. AFR also has Chance Play and this is the damsire line of Touch of Class.
    7) Far back but important is that Star de Naskra's damline goes to Tudor Minstrel, and that is a comparatively reliable line for movement and dressage. That may be why My Sedona is able to compete at advanced in eventing. Star de Naskra sire's dam comes from Le Haar, and that is a very well proved line for jumping. It's practically golden.
    8) Gunner's Runner's dam is by Ardan, and that is also excellent. Among other sterling performers in sport who have Ardan, Idle Dice had him as grandsire on top.
    9) Rose Court is a daughter of Court Martial, and that is royal blood for sport TBs. The number of his descendants who have competed in FEI level sport over the years is almost uncountable. Trust me that you are very lucky to have a mare with him so relatively close.
    10) Rose Court is a granddaughter of Bull Lea through her dam, Rosewood; and Bull Lea is also one of the greats. He's probably one of, if not THE, most successful lines for jumping that was ever bred in the US. His dam is the great mare Rose Leaves and she is dam or granddam to three of the best sport TB sire lines in our history--Espino, Cormac, and Bull Lea.
    11) Rosewood's damsire was Blenheim and no more needs to be said. Her dam is a daughter of Colin, and that has historically been a good line for jumping, especially when crossed with Blenheim.

So the whole top side is just about as good as it gets; and the actual sire has produced at least one exceptional sport horse.

Bottom: Northern Dancer. He's everywhere. Some are very good and some are not. I'd rate him as a neutral tending toward positive. The rest of the bottom is more than good; it's excellent.
    1) Twill. She isn't in the FEI database that I use, but her dam Quill is. With 4 different produce who have had FEI level descendants. 4 different ones from one mare is VERY, VERY unusual. Her sire Swaps is also well proved and from parents who have been proved with other get. Swaps has an EXCELLENT sport pedigree and brings you a touch of Son-in-Law which is promising for movement and his sireline is Hyperion, which is also good for movement. He's in the pedigrees of numerous FEI level competitors. He's always good to find.
    2) Tom Rolfe. Very well proved line in American sport from a sire and dam who are also well proved through other get as well.
    3) Scatter Plan is Quadrangle on top, and he's also proved. He's the sire of a mare who ran Badminton twice in the 60's and was in the top ten both times. He's got other get with sport horse descendants. On the bottom she goes to a mare who is Nasrullah on top (can't do better) and Uvira. Uvira is out of a Son-In-Law mare. Her sire is Umidwar, who is a foundation sire in SF and KWPN and several other WB registries.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Nov. 25, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

I just love it when Viney goes off like that. Now if we can just group source a scopy Arab for the OP and after that.... maybe Emilion for the second foal for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another note on the bottom: Staff Writer sired the brilliant Timely Writer, favored for the Ky. Derby from which he was scratched due to colic. Euthanized after breaking a leg in the Gold Cup, he was, for many, the Ruffian, Barbaro... of his generation.

I also love Northern Dancers. This mare reminds me of another whose jump and agility were unforgettable. That chestnut mare with chrome was by Theatrical, also a Northern Dancer line horse.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Another note on the bottom: Staff Writer sired the brilliant Timely Writer, favored for the Ky. Derby from which he was scratched due to colic. Euthanized after breaking a leg in the Gold Cup, he was, for many, the Ruffian, Barbaro... of his generation.

I also love Northern Dancers. This mare reminds me of another whose jump and agility were unforgettable. That chestnut mare with chrome was by Theatrical, also a Northern Dancer line horse.
    Northern Dancer is much more prevalent in the TB gene pool through his sons. His daughters don't seem to have had nearly the impact of his sons. This mare is out of a Northern Dancer mare which is not very common. And he must have nearly as many daughters as sons. For instance in the FEI database that I use, he is listed with 39 stallion sons who have got sport horse descendants, but only with 10 daughters. Of those 10 daughters, though, some are excellent--Fanfreluche and Aladancer are two of the ten.

My guy's sire is Valiant Lark, a son of Buffalo Lark - Moose (in my profile photo) is a super jumper, above average mover, and sound with solid bone.

He's also, in the words of one of my instructors, "a very strange horse," but you take the bad with the good.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Dang! Sounds like we lucked out with a super awesome find! =D And yes, please please help me find the perfect Arabian or Anglo sire to cross her on! I'm wanting to breed for eventing or jumping. I'd prefer to cross her on an Anglo to ensure a little more size than from the ArabianxTb cross, but there are not many Anglo stallions available (that I know of). I think I seriously only know of 2... =/ Thank you so much Viney for chiming in! I was waiting for you to see this thread! XD I'm not a chestnut fan, but man I tend to know a good horse when I see one so this mare was NOT one that was going to get passed up. Either my friend or I was going to get her, no matter what! =)
    Visit MW Equine!

You might see if Virginia Tech has any Baladin d'Oc semen left. He was a French Anglo that they stood. He's dead now, but I think he only died last year.

Would just like to say thank you to everyone for chiming in on this mare and for my friend Melanie for posting her pedigree for me since I didn't know about this forum. I'm super excited about this mare

Thank you, Viney, I'll definitely try to get in touch with them and see if they have something left. Everyone else feel free to chime in with other suggestions just in case they don't! =)
    Visit MW Equine!