The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Mom THINKS she wants a laptop!

My computer illiterate 59yo mother thinks she wants a laptop. Why? Well, she bought this new uber-expensive sewing/embroidery machine (Bernina 850), and she wants a portable computer to be able to take along to quilting class with her & her machine. All she wants to use the laptop for is to download her embroidery patterns and such. She strictly wants to use it for her machine...nothing else.

Question - would a small netbook work for this purpose? If I can score a Black Friday deal on some off-brand...I'm thinking that might make a good Christmas gift for her.
    Cindy

Default well, my 83 year old mom wants a kindle!

good luck with that. Perhaps you could dl a few for her, while leading her to pinthurst [?] or something else so she will get interested. But if quilting is what does it for her, and it isn't a wrench for you, go for it! If it is out of reach for budgetary reasons, there is always CL.
    Another killer of threads

1 members found this post helpful.

Get a MacBook Pro if you do.

Very friendly and easy. They give classes so somebody to teach her if she is one of those unteachable-by-the-child-of-the-parent.

She could start with an ipad, then get a lap top. That way she could email, surf, etc, but wouldn't have the expense of a computer.

My 89 year old great aunt just changed from a desktop to a laptop! She did have to switch from dial-up AOL service (yes, that actually still exists!) to wifi, but she really likes it now.

I have a little Acer netbook and it works just fine for basic web surfing and so on. And it's super small and lightweight, which I like. It was very easy to set up, too.

The keys on the iPad are smaller and harder for an older adult to figure out. A cheap laptop may be the best choice. My son has a bare-bones Acer that was on sale for $299 at Wal-Mart. And there's no reason a 59 year old should be computer illiterate. Sorry, but she's around my age, and most of us old folks have computers. If she's that challenged, many senior citizens centers offer computer classes.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Get a MacBook Pro if you do.

Very friendly and easy. They give classes so somebody to teach her if she is one of those unteachable-by-the-child-of-the-parent.

She could start with an ipad, then get a lap top. That way she could email, surf, etc, but wouldn't have the expense of a computer.
    Make sure the programs are mac compatible.

But seriously, you can get a laptop for next to nothing. Maybe you can score one with windows 7 for cheap.

Mom is only computer illiterate because she had no reason to use it.
    That will all change!

Actually, it sounds like a reasonable wish.

Notebooks are not really much cheaper than a full laptop, and have some limitations - like no disc drive - that can either cause followup cost or hamper her enjoyment.
    In this instance. I think a lot of the patterns are also available on discs, but I am not sure.

I'd say yeah mom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

As an older person (72) I got my first laptop two years ago and I love it.
    The only problem I had was the using my finger as a pointer. Just didn't work for me and I was going to take the lt back but was told I could use a wireless mouse with my laptop and now I really do love it.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I am a quilter, and if that is what she is interested in using her laptop for, she is going to need something more powerful than the very cheapest available. Quilt patterns can take up a lot of memory (I have several thumb drives filled because I don't want them taking up the space on my laptop). I am about ready to replace the one that I have with something with more memory, and I am thinking about getting a Mac this time around. My Dell PC has served me well, but Mac just does a better job with all things creative.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    I am a quilter, and if that is what she is interested in using her laptop for, she is going to need something more powerful than the very cheapest available. Quilt patterns can take up a lot of memory (I have several thumb drives filled because I don't want them taking up the space on my laptop). I am about ready to replace the one that I have with something with more memory, and I am thinking about getting a Mac this time around. My Dell PC has served me well, but Mac just does a better job with all things creative.
    It's not an entirely bad thing to have the patterns not stored on the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My parents already do own a "regular" laptop, and yes, mom stores the quilting pattern/files on flashdrives. All of their general websurfing & email go to the present laptop. She just needs something pretty portable to tote back and forth to class, which is why I was thinking some type of netbook product. Mac is out of the question because I am their primary source of computer help, and I only know Windows!
    Cindy

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

How big are these patterns?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

No help on what to get her, but GO MOM!

I can't even get my mom to get an answering machine! I wish she'd want a computer so I could pop off quick emails to her. My brother, sister & I have all tried - no luck, darn it.

Does she even have Internet access at quilting class?

I'm 99% sure that Bernina Designworks is PC-only software. Agree with your tactic of buying the cheapest possible PC laptop. I'm sure Slickdeals will be all over the awesome online deals if you don't want to venture out.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Does she even have Internet access at quilting class?

I'm 99% sure that Bernina Designworks is PC-only software. Agree with your tactic of buying the cheapest possible PC laptop. I'm sure Slickdeals will be all over the awesome online deals if you don't want to venture out.
    No internet access while at class, but she will need internet access to download patterns when she is at home. She wants this tablet/netbook/PC strictly for her sewing machine "stuff". I had to listen to her grumble for 20 mins yesterday because Dad moved her files on the current laptop. Then she proceeeded to tell me that she has copies of all the files on a cd and that "stick thingy". Poor dad. I was most thankful yesterday that I no longer live at home with my parents!
    Cindy

She's only 59 - give her a "bravo" for being interested and wanting to learn!
    Even if she were 89 it would be great to give her something - that would serve just as well as a full lown laptop.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique