The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

9 am start to village annual Turkey Trot. Foxhound and basset wore turkey costumes. My Maui Jim HT volunteer ball cap was overtaken by felt turkey decor. Finish line official proclaims us 1st in his made-up-on-the-spot Two Dog Two Mile Division (I forgave him the error of calling my two hounds, ahem... "dogs"). By 11 am I was in the spa pool and sauna at health club. By 12:30 I was in the hospital cafe eating free turkey dinner. Worked by half of a shift split with a colleague. Now, I've got a Trader Joe's turkey dinner in the oven. Hounds are one the couch with a full food bowl refusing to eat until there's some part of my dinner atop their kibble.

Not a bad day. Seems I've learned a few things in the 20 years that I've been without a family.

2 members found this post helpful.

I spent Sunday-Tuesday on a whirlwind horse shopping tour, and drove about 1400 miles in that time. I'm tired of people. Heck, I'm just tired. Being at home, by myself, is wonderful. I even vacuumed the crap out of the couch today.

I made a turkey and stuffing, opened a can of cranberries and some semblence of an apple pie. The bird refroze in the frig last night and took forever to cook.

Got my Christmas Vacation fix and will probably head out for some early Christmas shopping soon. I'm crazy enough to like the Christmas crowds.

I've chosen to skip it altogether this year as I am in a foreign country and they don't recognize the holiday. Well, I guess I didn't skip it as I did tell friends and family back home that I wished them a happy Thanksgiving... (granted, in my current neck of the woods, it would have been yesterday LOL!!)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    The neighbors asked me over, but I decided not to go. Instead, I stayed home and cooked myself a very untraditional Thanksgiving Day dinner. I had crock pot corned beef with potatoes and carrots dropped in the broth a couple of hours before the beef was done. I just finished it, and enjoyed every morsel. I'm going to enjoy the leftovers just as much.

Other than that, it's been a very relaxing day, hanging around with the cats and playing on COTH. Early to bed, probably, tonight and then, tomorrow, it's down to the barn to see the horse.
    Louise that sounded yummy. I love cabbage with my corned beef. I did a pork tenderloin and spaghetti squash at lunchtime so I had all afternoon to enjoy dragging my sacrifice paddocks and indoor ring, cleaning tons of mud off the horses only to watch them go back out and roll, and treating my horse with scratches. It was 61 degrees here so I left the dog out without putting on her sweater. Glad to get as much done as possible considering the weather is supposed to turn crappy.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

1 members found this post helpful.

I much prefer to spend holidays without any schedule that involves other people. If I decide I want to read a book, watch a movie, or bust my butt around the farm it's my choice.

I've spent way too many holidays with famdamly, or even good friends, but really don't like to consider getting together just because it's a 'holiday'. If I want to get together with someone, I'd prefer to do it not using a holiday as an excuse. Besides the farm chores have to get done anyway and I really hate to not be able to keep the horses and dog on the schedule they are used to.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

1 members found this post helpful.

I volunteer to work at the barn on Thanksgiving and Christmas Spending a quiet day with my dog and the horses is lovely. People rarely come to ride on those holidays, so the barn stays very quiet. I like being able to work on those days so the regular workers can take a day off to spend with their families and the BO can travel to see her family. Everyone wins!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

2 members found this post helpful.

This year we went to my parents a week early. Today it has just been me and my seven year old daughter. My husband had to work today as he is barn manager for a farm. Me and my kid had a blast though. We made lists of what we were thankful for. Played outside with the dogs and the horse in the pasture and took some silly pictures.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

I'm having a quiet Thanksgiving alone at home, due to a combo of circumstance (immediate family took a vacation abroad, closest extended family is a 2-day drive) and choice (turned down several well-meaning offers from friends after they found out).

I made a mini-Thanksgiving Monday night before everyone left so that today, I got to take my time with the horse in the morning, have a glass of wine when I got home, then eat the leftovers and watch a movie without interruptions!

I'm home alone today; I have to work tomorrow and DH didn't. We had business to take care of where we used to live which happened to be where his family all lives... I've been sick as a poisoned puppy for the last two weeks so sent the rest of the family off for Thanksgiving with the inlaws and I stayed home and incubated my antibiotics. I had a few much-appreciated invites but between being sick and being a hermit, I opted for home.

I had the greatest day today-COTH has been there of course and then I spent six hours outside with the horses, cats, dogs, goats, ect, fussing around and just enjoying the day. I had sunshine and happy critters and yesterday I bought treats for everyone... had just a wonderful happy day all "alone" for the first time ever on Thanksgiving!

I almost always volunteer to work T'giving and Christmas at my paper. I get to see my family for however long I can stand them -- today was about an hour before I hit the door at 11:15 a.m. -- then I go into work. Today, I came in, popped in a movie on my work machine, watched it while eating a frozen dinner and then started work.

It was wonderful. There was no anxiety from all the noise, no guilt for not doing the family thing ... I've been doing this for nearly 12 years. Sometimes I last until mid afternoon, sometimes I last an hour, like today.

My cousin has caught on to the 'Oh, I'm sorry, I have to work X-holiday. I can't come to the dinner,' thing and now also volunteers to work at his job (hotel) during the holidays.
    The dude abides ...

dh and i were scheduled to leave vt on tuesday morning and drive to new jersey to see the family.
    however minutes before loading the car i managed to slip on ice and tumble off of our boulder wall. i wish i had fallen backwards onto the lawn, but no, i fell forwards and bounced at least three times off of the boulders on my way down to the ground, 13 feet below.
    ow.
    so we stayed home together, dh grilled some rib eyes last night and we cracked open a bottle of gattinara 2004.
    our client is with his family until tomorrow so we were really alone in the house. it was fabulous to walk around nonchalantly in my birthday suit,lol.
    and by walk i mean limp.