The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone choosing to spend Thanksgiving alone this year?

My cousins are having a big Thanksgiving locally and could have joined in. But I have been working so many hours lately and have been a bit overwhelmed for the past couple of months that the thought of spending a day at home with my dogs where I didn't have go or be anywhere was just too enticing. I am cooking a small turkey here, drinking a beer and watching movies and it's wonderful.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

I am doing just that also With the exception that I'm heading to the barn in a few minutes for some horse time. And my reasons for a quiet day are the same as yours, too much work and overwhelming people time gets to me after awhile. So laying low today is an absolute treat. After the horse and dog get their giggles out, I will get in my jammies with a good book and a treat and call it a day. Ahhhhh.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Not sure could all it alone, with 3 Doxies and Alice!

But I am also having a very quiet relaxed TG. Got a lot of household projects done, went for 2 walks with the dogs. Walked to the barn and checked that all was well, but basically have had a super relaxed and lazy day.
    I'd say silence is golden, but the Doxies are having squirrel wars to day and it sure ain't silent.

MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I just got back from visiting some family. Took the cinnamin rolls over that I made, had a cup of coffee and a quick bite of the pastries, but had to get out of there. Too much drinking going on and I know later there will be more than one ugly argument. Seems anymore my family is.not.fun.

So I'm back at home, having a glass of wine and checking out the internet. I'm going to eat a turkey and mashed potato dinner from Schwan's later.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I kind of wish I was. I have to get up in a minute and make mashed potatoes-- I wouldn't mind going to bed instead!

My best friend and I have been doing it for years-- she in her house, I in mine. Love it.

I am! Although I am BBQ-ing tomorrow

I got up, drank coffee, played on COTH, played with the cats, ate and just now woke up from a nap. Ahhhhhh.

Last year I had to work LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I am. It's nice to not have people around. I work too much and today nobody will call or email or text needing something. I oiled my new bridle. It's been a relaxing day.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep, just me and the JRT, frozen dinner even.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I would. But I have a husband and 2 kids, so I'm not alone. But it's ok. It's a family dinner, that's all. With turkey. At least one of my kids helped and made a pumpkin pie.
    I'm just happy to be staying home this year, even if I have to cook. This way, I had time to work this am, then go ride my horse (including a short trail ride, assuming that all the hunters would be home watching TV or eating, and I was right, not a gun shot to be heard), it was a gorgeous day, my horse was great, so all in all, a GOOD day!
    But then most of the time, I'd rather be alone or in very small company. Never was one for big reunions.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'll go over to my home slice neighbor's place in a bit. But otherwise I'm doing it solo.

Horse is 3,000 miles to the east, otherwise, he'd have to cart me around. Fall is the time for bucking people off, so we'll both be sad to miss that.

Catness got brushed. She dug it. Big things like that are going down at my place.

I grew up stunted, without Thanksgiving Skillz. In my family, Thanksgiving and Christmas were about custody arrangements. Oh, and traditional turkey day fare isn't that good. Admit it.

But I would eat BBQ and twotrudoc's place, all the political wackos included.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

I am, and am enjoying it. Being grateful for the improvement in my life since last year. Been playing on COTH - which I haven't done in a long time.

Helloooo Cothers!!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

Yes! actually, it is my favorite way to spend the holiday (so much for the "classic Norman Rockwell Gathering" sort of day!)

I put the Macy's parade on and put my [artificial] Xmas tree up. Early? maybe, but it's when I have time and am feeling festive, so why not.
    Then I bring together my Xmas gifts and wrapping ... yes, I am that organized, because I start shopping at the Big E every September.
    By this point, I have had enough time indoors so I take a break, and ride my mare up into the woods to collect some evergreen branches, which I make into a simple spray with a big red bow to hang by the kitchen door. I put up the outdoor lights & decorations.
    Then back inside to start cooking -- this year, experimented with roasting a chicken -- (I think this is my first time!) and new recipes for Harvard beets and sweet potato casserole, and making my own cranberry sauce. So far, so good!
    then having found an old movie to have on in the background (today, "The Secret Garden" on TCM), I grit my teeth and wrap presents. DONE.
    The day's flown by... too bad I didn't get to making my traditional gift of sherried walnuts, but that'll have to wait for a weekend. I'm pooped!

Didn't grow up with Thanksgiving either, not being American. So it never was a big deal for me. But we do as the natives do...for the kids, mostly!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

The neighbors asked me over, but I decided not to go. Instead, I stayed home and cooked myself a very untraditional Thanksgiving Day dinner. I had crock pot corned beef with potatoes and carrots dropped in the broth a couple of hours before the beef was done. I just finished it, and enjoyed every morsel. I'm going to enjoy the leftovers just as much.

Other than that, it's been a very relaxing day, hanging around with the cats and playing on COTH. Early to bed, probably, tonight and then, tomorrow, it's down to the barn to see the horse.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Not quite alone - just hubby & me (& the critters). But it's been that way for years & frankly we like it that way. Kicking around in jeans & t-shirts, watching tv, having snacks, & enjoying a nice home-cooked turkey dinner just the way we want it. LOVE IT.

I am! I am just tired of people, demands, and obligations this year. Plus, Thanksgiving with my mom is a big production, dressed up and everything, with small talk and judgments abounding.

So I am blissfully, blissfully alone today. My favorite music on the stereo, laundry going, pie baking, and enjoying every scrap of it.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

I will trade some BBQ for corned beef!

I think you have a point Reveille. I need a break! It's nice to be by yourself and not have to meet expectations.
    Last edited by twotrudoc; Nov. 22, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I will trade some BBQ for corned beef!

I think you have a point Reveille. I need a break! It's nice to be by yourself and have to meet expectations.
    I think that is a big part of it for me this year. I just need a break!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I am alone too. More by circumstance than choice, but I am okay with it.
    When my mom was alive Thanksgiving was at the parents'. Lots of good times. Some family drama and hard feelings with various relatives too. Miss the good stuff, glad to avoid the drama. I still think of my dad making his signature stuffing. Fussing and carrying on in the kitchen the night before -"wheres the onions, why did you buy that kind" etc etc. Mom and I would fortify ourselves with G&Ts.

So now it is me and my dogs. For the last two years I didnt do a Thanksgiving meal. This year I felt moved to do something more traditional. Especially since my insomnia means I get up about 5 am and have plenty of time to cook. Then I found out that turkeys are BIG. Ended up buying a precooked BBQ turkey breast. I cooked up mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and sauteed some mushrooms. Heated up the turkeyand made some rolls and had a nice dinner. That is about as ambitious as I get about cooking!

Dogs are enjoying it. They had two walks and got a little turkey on their food. I thought about seeing my (retired) horse but decided to wait until tomorrow. I was surprised not to find much football on TV. More time to spend here. And now UConn womens' basketball is on!

I think the best thing about Thanksgiving is the long weekend!