The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nikon or Canon?

Looking at the Black Friday ads, I see a couple of good deals on a Nikon D3000 and a Canon EOS Rebel T3. Both are bundles with two additional lenses, SD card, bag, etc. Which is the better camera in your experience? I've heard good things about both and may just buy based on which ends up being cheapest...

Have also seen the Nikon D3100 two lense bundle but it's more expensive or course.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Most photographers tend to be devoted to either one or the other. I think both are fine and it's just a matter of personal preference, for the most part. Also once you are used to using one brand, the controls tend to be similar on all their models. I'm a Canon fan myself and own three (2 older point & shoot and my DSLR) and a few Canon lenses. I work in TV and we use Canon lenses, so familiarity was probably part of the initial choice.

You may want to consider more the purpose of the camera for you - what types of photos you intend to shoot and what you plan to do with them will determine what lenses you want and what features are most important for you. If you don't need everything in that bundle, it may be cheaper to buy your camera body and lenses, etc seperately.

Also check out B&H Photo. I buy almost everything from them and their regular prices are often much cheaper than sales prices in a typical retail store.

It's a bit of a vanilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream thing. Both are equally good so it's just a matter of personal taste. I have both Canon and Nikon cameras and like them both equally. Sorry this isn't much help.

I think it's a personal choice. Do some research on a few models you're interested in then going somewhere that has several models for you to get your hands on and get a feel for--even if it's just at BestBuy--can be really helpful for figuring out what you like. That's exactly what I did, choosing what felt best in my hands, and ended up with a Nikon, which has performed wonderfully.

I personally have the nikon 3100 and love it. It was easy to figure out, takes amazing pics and is fun to play with. My mom has the same as me, and she's a rookie and takes great pics. My sister and SIL both have a Rebel and think the same.

It is totally personal preference.

I have a Canon T3i (two, actually) and I am very happy with it.

I am under the impression that good lenses for the Canon are much more readily available and thus a bit more reasonable.

But having said that, if I had the money laying around, I would probably go with the Nikon....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'm invested in Canon. Nikon wasn't really doing much in DSLRs when I bought my first Canon camera, a 20D.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

As everyone has said, it's just a personal preference. Go to a store and handle both of them. See how each feels in your hands and how comfortable it is to hold to your eye. See if you fingers comfortably reach all the controls and dials (don't worry yet that you don't know what they do. you will learn that later).

Then go with the one that feels best.

My preference is Nikon, but that's just because that brand fits my hand and my needs best.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Personal choice...seems like if you had a Canon before, you buy that again so you can use your old lenses. Go see which one fits your hands better. You won't go wrong with either.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Personal choice really. I'm a photographer and I shoot with a Canon 1D Mark III. I had a T1i before, the Rebel series are very nice starter DSLR's. I'd go for the T3i if I were you though, it has video. Even better would be the new T4i, that's a nice little camera.
    -Kady

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a Nikon girl myself, but as everyone has said, it's totally preference.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

My photog profs told us Nikon has better lenses. But that was awhile ago. I am still partial to Nikon because of it. And I guess because I already have some of the lenses.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I have used both, and prefer my Nikon, but both are great cameras. Try both and see which one feels best in your hands.

Where are you finding these deals? Any deals online? I have a 24 hour in-hospital shift tomorrow, but I'll have time to jump on the Internet.

Thanks for the responses! Figured now was a good time to consider purchasing with the Black Friday and Christmas deals coming around.

Dudley- i saw them in the sales papers this morning but havent verified online. Some of the places advertising them were Sams Club, Walmart, and Best Buy. I saw the Canon bundle more than the Nikon. Cant remeber right this sec who had the Nikons.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Just received an email from Black's Camera in Canada and they also offer the bundle on the Nikon D3100 for $379.99 and the Canon Rebel T3 for $399.99The D3200 is $599.99. I don't see the D3000. Canadian stores are catching on and are now offering Black Friday deals. I am a few hours from the border but would never consider joining the craziness.

IMO I like my Canon, I shot with Nikon for years and loved it too, so no bashing. The switch was super hard for me to adjust to because all of the controls and lens adjustment are backwards (heads up if you've had a film camera of one or the other in the past)

However I really really believe a good lens is what makes the difference and once you hit higher end L series lenses will rock your world. I'm pretty sure the L-glass will work on a T2/3 so I'd go with that bundle and if you really like taking pictures make a lens your first upgrade.

Actually I just wanted to add even with my regular 18-200 EF lens I think I got better pictures than i ever got off my Nikon...

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

See what Ken Rockwell has to say about either, and then go with that.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reviews.htm

I just looked at what he said about the 3000, and you need to see that before you buy one. I didn't look up the other one. He gives good advice. I always check his reviews before we buy a new camera.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Ken Rockwell is a fake. He doesn't know much, if anything, about photography and he admits that he makes up a lot of the stuff in his write-ups and almost everything on his website is either erroneous, heavily distorted by his own hand, or simply untrue. His website is intended to make money for himself through affiliate sales programs and ad revenue generated by those who visit his website, read the reviews, and decide to buy products through the links there.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Ken Rockwell is a fake. He doesn't know much, if anything, about photography and he admits that he makes up a lot of the stuff in his write-ups and almost everything on his website is either erroneous, heavily distorted by his own hand, or simply untrue. His website is intended to make money for himself through affiliate sales programs and ad revenue generated by those who visit his website, read the reviews, and decide to buy products through the links there.
    Where did you get this info? I have never heard such about him.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.