The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My very first orchid bloomed - today !!

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMG_0990.jpg

This is what I saw this morning, Thanksgiving Day! It must have started last night some time!!!! Before bedtime, it was all closed up.

The tag on the orchid said it was: orange.

This is a cattleya, and it is called Epic Volcano Trick Paradise. It is a yellowy color with dark hot pink dots.

I have several other orchids, but this is the FIRST cattleya to bloom ever for me. I am so excited!

I have 3 mini-oncidiums, and they bloom this time of year. These have bloomed 2 years in a row. All three are in spike, which means they have sent up flower spikes, and will be popping out in bloom here in a month.

I have 2 zanda orchids and one is going to bloom for the first time also. It is alleged to be purple. The other is alleged to be pink.

I bought these bare root from Lowe's, and finally after 3 years, this one has bloomed. They looked sad and mistreated, and unhappy, I have brought them back to life, and finally they are going to bloom. I have a few others which are hinting they are going to bloom.

These are the easiest plants to grow btw.

5 members found this post helpful.

I see the Phals all the time in Lowe's. But I am worried they wouldn't grow.

Why is it we choose to save poor sad looking plants?

You HAVE to get a mini-oncidum. They have little leaves, and teenie tiny mini looking orchid blooms. They bloom this time of year. Mine are a dark pink, oh so cute. I have them in small pots. I do find they link to be stressed. Pot bound, and a bit abused. But I do care for mine, don't get me wrong on the abuse. They are easy to grow.

I have had african violets which bloomed non-stop for decades. One location I had them in was by the wood stove and it pretty much burned off the fuzz, but they still bloomed. Lovely.

I keep all orchids outside when the temps are above 45-50, under a tree, and hose them down every now and then. A wash rack in a barn would be ideal if it was bright.

My vandas I have in cedar boxes, iow no bark or moss. Looks like 4 board railing box. Roots everywhere, some really long. My purple one is in spike. CAN'T wait. They are intense colors when they bloom.

Never seen a hoya.

Very nice! My labiata type Lc. should be open by the time I get home.

I think hoyas are very cool looking.

What temp do you guys keep your houses at? I would like to pick up an orchid, though not a pricey one as I won't be able to take it with us when we move. What I'm concerned about is that I tend to open windows in the middle of winter because I'm ALWAYS HOT. I don't know if they'd handle the draft/cold. If I had it my way, the temp in the house would never get about 65!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Congratulations to those of you who can re-bloom orchids. Mine grow beautiful strong leaves but that's it. I have a friend who grows orchids and he has two greenhouses with different temperatures and puts some cymbidiums outside. So I think the answer to the T* question is it depends.
    The Evil Chem Prof

rodawn, wow! I need to get one of those hoyas!

Charis I will have to look up what kind that is.

Place you orchid so it doesn't get drafts, or rather no drastic temp swings. I keep the house about 65, SE window. My house I am sure is drafty, but they seem ok. They stay outside all the time during spring to fall. For a really bright wash stall these would be great to keep. My vandas hang in a tree, the others are on a rack next to the tree trunk. I thought the phals were the easiest, which is why you see so many of them for sale. Which is why I have the cats, vandas, and the mini-onicidiums, I heard they are harder. I like a challnge, but these seem easy. I like different and so there ya go.

I love looking at the sale rack for sad plants. I think it is a disease. sigh. Love it though.

My step daughter gave me an orchid about 20 years ago and it started a whole new obsession. I have about 40 orchids of differing varieties now. My husband had to build special frames in the basement for them to over winter. In the summer I have them on my porch.

I am also guilty of finding the sad orchid withering away at Home Depot or Lowes and talking them into discounting it. Then, I take it home and hopefully nurse it back to health. I will put some pics up later when I'm near my computer.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Props to you guys, I'm not even going to attempt orchids. But I'm happy for you. I have exactly one house plant, the fuschia I brought in from the patio, trying to keep it alive through winter. If the cats and dogs don't knock it over....

I love them but can never get them to bloom again once they have gone by. Do I need to cut of the spike that flowered or what? I have a bunch of them and they are all healthy, just can't get the darn things to flower again.

I am very skilled at keeping orchids leafy and happy, but never had the ability to being one back in bloom :-(
    I know there's a whole ritual of details to bring blooms, I'm just not dedicated enough I guess.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I'm horrible. Someone gave me a lovely one when I lived in Florida and told me I only needed to put it on the back porch occasionally and the humidity would be all it needed, other than a spritz with a water bottle every so often if it was VERY dry outside.

Other than the lovely blooms in place when it was given that it kept for quite a while, I killed it in very short order.

I stink at house plants. Gardening I can do. House plants and I just don't see eye to eye, and it makes me very very sad.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Here are some of my orchids. There are a few non-orchids scattered in the album but most of the pictures are orchids. I found that many of the orchids need a drop in temps at night to trigger blooming. (just into the 50s for a few nights) Also, keeping them fertilized regularly with an orchid specific fertilizer helps with blooming.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6389116&type=3
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.