The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tires for 3/4 T Truck recommendations

I'll be replacing the tires on my pick up truck probably next week. I try to get a fairly aggressive tread so I don't get stuck too much on grass or on slippery ground. The truck is what I use to pull an aluminum 2 Horse gooseneck with as well as for hauling feed and hay and whatever I need it for around the farm. It's a Ford 3/4Ton. Any recommendations before I just trust my tire vendor's ideas? TIA
    PennyG

I just put the Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac tires on my F250. My mechanic recommended them and has them on his trucks. He hauls horses and does every day stuff with his truck too. I was having problems driving around in the spring with the mud and an empty flatbed, and my tires kept spinning out on the grass with my trailer, so I decided to take the plunge. The lifespan is not as long as some others, and you get a bit of a humming sound on the highway. But the difference they make is amazing! I barely have to use 4 wheel drive anymore when hauling or in bad conditions.

Cooper Discoverer S/T work great, I had them on the dodge and Duramax...

Cooper isokay but for really aggressive, good all year, off road is toyo M55..have the siped!

Bridgestone Dueller Revos. Good tread design and very low road noise. Wears well also.

We have the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's on our Ram 2500. They're great for traction but I feel as though we've gotten horrible wear out of them. Even with regular rotation they did not last long at all. They will provide nice traction though.

I have always liked BFG on our Jeeps and whatnot but I am mostly familiar with their Krawler and Mud Terrain KM2 so those are a little too aggressive I've heard that many like their All Terrain tire though. BFG's have always worn well for me.

I've also used the Cooper STT's on a Dodge Ram 2500 plow truck all winter long and those provided great traction on various surfaces (grass, snow, mud). It was the companies truck and I don't know how the longevity of those tires are, but man did they have grip. Weren't too loud on the road either.

We're in the same predicament with needing tires for our 3/4 ton and I've gotten a headache from all of the choices. I'll have to stay tuned to this thread as well because while we liked the Dura-Tracs they didn't last as long as we would have liked so we'll be seeking other options.