The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How did you fall in love?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty much instantly. I knew right away.

22 51.16%
  • Slowly. Over a period of months or years.

21 48.84%

Default Falling in love. Instant, or slow?

I'm notoriously known to my friends as being absurdly picky when it comes to men. If I start seeing someone new and the fireworks aren't there by Date #5, I will promptly end the relationship. They say I'm far too quick to jump the gun, but my heart says that if it's not there now, then it probably won't be there later. Am I wrong?

How was it for you when you met your SO? Was it an instant connection, or was it more of a slow burning build up?

The chemistry (or lack therof) can be felt immediately.

Falling in love takes time.

With each of my SOs, I felt the chemistry from the first time we met. Everytime that I have fallen in love, I knew from the first time that I met them that it was a possibility. I knew I COULD fall in love with my last boyfriend from the very first time we sat down and talked on our first date - and I did, eventually.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

When I met my husband, I didn't fall instantly in love. No splashy fireworks went off. I just had the wonderful realization that he was going to be my best friend. 38 years later, he still is.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose261 View Post

With each of my SOs, I felt the chemistry from the first time we met. Everytime that I have fallen in love, I knew from the first time that I met them that it was a possibility. <snip>
    I'm also known to be very picky and have zero ability to "develop" an interest in someone whom I don't feel a real fireworky connection with from the first moment. I don't know if I've loved all my significant SO's from that first instant, but as Irishrose says, I knew I could love them.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I had major crush on my husband back when I was 18 and he was 30 and in a realtionship, so I didn't pursue it. Then later when I was 26 and he was my farrier (and single) the fireworks went off for both of us. We have been together ever since, did things backwards, had a baby then got married 7 years later.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

Funny story: for me, it was splashy fireworks on the second date. I never believed it until it was me, but yes it does happen. We're coming up on 6 years together now.

Why is this funny? Because about 3 years before we started dating, we were apparently at a party together - he gently hit on me, and I blew him off. (I don't remember this)

Fast forward three years later - he goes for try 2. I don't remember ever having met him before, and agree to go on a date. And, by date 2...fireworks. Funny, huh?

And no, he was pretty much the same person both times. I think I was just in a different place.

2 members found this post helpful.

I knew on date #1 that DH was a Really Special Guy. It only took 3 1/2 weeks to turn into "OMG I'm in love with this guy!" and four weeks later he proposed. That was 13 years ago.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Definitely at first sight. Men and horses, both. It's a chemical reaction.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose261 View Post

With each of my SOs, I felt the chemistry from the first time we met. Everytime that I have fallen in love, I knew from the first time that I met them that it was a possibility. I knew I COULD fall in love with my last boyfriend from the very first time we sat down and talked on our first date - and I did, eventually.
    great explanation. On our first date I saw the potential, by the end of the first month I could see myself hypothetically spending forever with him, and around 6 months in I was a goner.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Instant- if you know, you know.

My husband and I talked about getting married within a week of meeting each other. We are celebrating our 10 yr anniversary this coming April .
    ~Living the life I imagined~