The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Missing papers-oldenburg

I recently met someone with an extremely nice young hunter gelding, with unknown parentage, no papers, supposedly 5 y/o. Purchased dirt cheap. Hip brand is Oldenburg, a number appears below. She was told he was imported, but knows nothing more and seller refuses any info. He mentioned the word "repo" at one point.

Vet shows no trace of microchip or tattoo. Is there a possibility of a DNA test?

When I say extremely nice, I mean NICE at any price. This is no backyard breeder accident. He floats, is very cute, well mannered.

So would someone believe something is intentionally hidden here? How/why does a seller lose papers and refuse to talk about it? I would be curious of the parentage, as would the owner.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by huntcup View Post
    I recently met someone with an extremely nice young hunter gelding, with unknown parentage, no papers, supposedly 5 y/o. Purchased dirt cheap. Hip brand is Oldenburg, a number appears below. She was told he was imported, but knows nothing more and seller refuses any info. He mentioned the word "repo" at one point.

Vet shows no trace of microchip or tattoo. Is there a possibility of a DNA test?

When I say extremely nice, I mean NICE at any price. This is no backyard breeder accident. He floats, is very cute, well mannered.

So would someone believe something is intentionally hidden here? How/why does a seller lose papers and refuse to talk about it? I would be curious of the parentage, as would the owner.

Thanks.
    Papers and passport would be dumped in the trash so that any jumper competition records in europe would not be known - making a horse that is ineligible for the pre-green or green classes magically eligible. It's also done to "protect the importers' sources from being revealed".

It just SUCKS and it's done every single day.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    Papers and passport would be dumped in the trash so that any jumper competition records in europe would not be known - making a horse that is ineligible for the pre-green or green classes magically eligible. It's also done to "protect the importers' sources from being revealed".

It just SUCKS and it's done every single day.
    There have been a number of rule changes in the last few years.
    While I'm sure the situation you described does take place it's not as frequent as you suggest.

Green Hunters DO have wording in the speccs to cover horses shown outside of the US.
    "HU103 Green Status - Hunter.
    1. A Green Hunter is a horse of any age in its first or second year of showing in any classes in which the national specifications require horses to jump 3’6” or higher,regardless of whether or not the fences are actually set at 3’6” or higher at Regular Competitions or Eventing Competitions of the Federation or Equine Canada or any national or international competition."

PreGreen specs make no specific mention of competitions outside the US. And this is a National Spec now.
    "a. A Pre-Green Hunter is a horse of any age in his first or second year of showing
    over 3’ or 3’3” fences that has never competed over fences of 3’6” (1.07m) or
    higher. A horse that receives a 1st Year Green Reinstatement may return to
    Pre-Green if it is otherwise eligible.
    b.A horse’s Pre-Green Status is not affected by showing as a three-year-old.
    e.A horse’s pre-green status may be reinstated for a future competition year if it
    was not shown at the 3’ height or 3’3” height at more than four (4) competitions
    prior to September 1st and if it was not shown at that height after September 1st
    in the same year."

When Green Hunters were the only division available to Pros at 3'6" then yes, violations were more rampant.
    But now the Performance / High Performance Hunter Divisions have three sections.
    One of which runs at 3'6" and another that runs at 3'3" ( in addition to High Performance which is 4' at A and AA ).

There are only about 500 First Year Green Horses showing and less than 200 2nd year green horses nationwide. Probably around 1000 3'6" Performance Hunters showing. Some shows can't fill first year green anymore.

Bottom line is 1st year status isn't that important anymore due to the new sections. Sure, for some going against horses who are supposed to be in 1st year Green status does matter.
    The concept of a true 1st year horse was done away with once you were allowed a year at 3', second year of showing became 2nd year PreGreen and 3rd year of showing became 1st Year Green.
    Fan of Sea Accounts