The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Uninsured drivers hork me off. I've been hit twice by individuals w/o insurance, so my uninsured motorists coverage had to pay to fix my car. My insurance rates also went UP because I made a claim. It's b.s.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

5 is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    2500$? I looked at your pictures and your car barely looks scratched, is all the damage underneath or something?

The front bumber needs to be replaced and while they are available they are not inexpensive.

Both fenders and the metal surrounding the grill is the same piece of metal, the impact split the seam up to the light and spread the metal what used to be a straight line is now an elongated upside down V . The front needs to be pulled out, straightened lined up, rewelded and polished down to a clean line once again.

There is a slight buckle in the frame rail beam which needs to be straightened and it is a 'heavy' gauge of metal so I don't think it will be easy to do.

The paint was damaged but I will need to pickup the 95% of the car that wasn't accident damaged on the paint because the new paint would make it look patchy.
    Last edited by 5; Nov. 23, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Default OP, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Your car is adorable.

Avoided a similar run-in with a similar type a few months back. While I was at the laundromat with a load of blankets, I noticed a car FULL of people half pull into a space up front, unload half the passengers, then pull around back and headed to the not-quite-a-spot next to my pride and joy 2011 car.

My radar was screaming at me by the time she made it to the back in the driveway so I stood at the front of my car. She rolls forward, barely able to see over steering wheel. As she approaches I see MULTIPLE scrapes and dents on both sides of her front quarter panels, running from along side her half-smashed headlights to well past the first doors. I step in front of her as she gestures for me to get out of the way.

This was a habit for this driver, obviously, who didn't want to walk further than necessary from her car to the door. I told her, arms wide "Not enough room! You're gonna have to find another spot, hon!" She smiled and waved, and backed up headed for the back of the lot, but I'm quite certain my car would've been the next car she smashed simply because she did.not.car.

Obviously uninsured. I was livid, but no harm no foul, and I watched her like a hawk until she gathered her crew and left.

Here's hoping your car is fixed to your satisfaction, quickly.

1 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Sansena- I park at the very back of lots for just this reason. The excersize won't kill me and there is nothing to steal from the car (the radio runs on vacuum tubes so they wouldn't bother) and I doubt todays car thieves know how to use a starter knob..... So in back I park.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Big Red-

I doubt the state will do a thing. She was hispanic with an accent (anchor baby) her daughter looked to be half black and the tattooed gang banger looking guy who showed up and called her his wife was hispanic. Everything about the situation screamed professional welfare mom to me.

So not only is she the cause of the accident, uninsured, has the morals of an alley cat, won't pay for the damage to my car on top of it she is living on my tax dollars.

At least my car can and will be fixed, hers is totaled (or would be if it were insured). I was already stopped she did a panic break when she was 10 feet away so the front of her car went under my car and crumpled like an aluminum foil pie pan.

The insurance adjuster was impressed with the damage ratio between the cars.
    '98 Accord vs '60 Metropolitan at slow speed put your money on the little car they were built like tanks.
    I'm possibly looking at something similar. Had a wreck entering a curve last month with a driver who had no license or proof of insurance. She did have a passport.

My truck had almost zero visible damage. However, it was not drivable. She bounced off my tire, breaking the control arm and destroying parts of the undercarriage (i.e., steering gear box, hydraulic lines, suspension...). The front driver's side of her vehicle was crunched, axle busted, tire blown out, and probably other non-obvious damage. She was asking me about my coverage at the scene and commented about her own vehicle, "Maybe it's time for a new truck!"

The accident was cited no-fault since it wasn't obvious to the cop by the final location of the vehicles who'd done what. She did get cited for no license/insurance. I got a nice letter from my insurance that she was disputing liability, so I'm waiting to see of I'll get sued. Not sure how someone who has cleared the turn and slams into the driver's side front tire of a vehicle not yet in the turn can realistically claim that I crossed the line and ran her off the road, but that's her story. Frustrating.
    Jer 29: 11-13

My good girlfriend was hit by an uninsured driver and even though she had insurance for just such a situation, it didn't come CLOSE to covering her medical bills. Luckily, she made good money and could get the treatment she needed in spite of it all....but goodness.

While I hated my high rates in MI, I did like the fact that everyone was basically responsible for themselves insurance wise. So even if someone were uninsured, most of us had enough coverage if we were street legal to take care of our vehicles and ourselves.

Even with insurance requirements, there are people who simply do not get insurance.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident.

But I am a little confused by your anchor baby comments and such. An accent doesn't mean someone is doing nefarious things.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Aggie- I actually know how you feel.

I 'so' think its time for a dashcam recording every time I drive just in case.
    Last edited by 5; Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

[QUOTE=5;6679312] She was hispanic with an accent (anchor baby) her daughter looked to be half black and the tattooed gang banger looking guy who showed up and called her his wife was hispanic. Everything about the situation screamed professional welfare mom to me.

So not only is she the cause of the accident, uninsured, has the morals of an alley cat, won't pay for the damage to my car on top of it she is living on my tax dollars.
    QUOTE]

Wow.

Was that really a necessary or productive comment? I understand you're frustrated about the accident, but this comment is extremely offensive.

Cause of the accident? Sounds like it.

Uninsured? Unfortunately.

Morals of an alley cat? Beyond a stretch.

Won't pay to fix the cars? Ok.

Living on your tax dollars? You know this, how?

Oh, the horrors of being a minority with a mixed-race baby and a tattooed husband!

2 members found this post helpful.

awww I want to "dislike" your post because I don't like what happened to your car but I don't want you to get a bad notification! I hope your poor car's nose heals quickly. I too have an older "toy" truck that I've had forever and only drive occasionally. It's a sentimental thing.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

2 members found this post helpful.