The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Uninsured Drivers Rant/Whine

My toy car that I have had for 18 years, that I adore and drive on 'nice' days when I want to show off, was plowed into by a 21 year old uninsured woman distracted by her 6-7 Y/o daughter (The child in blue jeans in the photo) driving down the middle of the street like she was the only person in the world.

I saw her coming and I hit my breaks so she would have more room to correct her path.
    Did she?
    NO
    All I could do is sit there and watch as her honda plowed into my car.

I don't even know if she tried to stop but since I was already stopped I only got hit by the forward motion force of her car. She might have been going 15-20mph when I got hit.

I got out and during the exchange she tried to explain away "It was an accident, my daughter was telling me about her rash and I had to see." (Quote)
    I replied that she should have pulled of to the the side of the road and stopped if she wasn't goind to keep her eyes on the road.
    She told me that I had a bad attitude.

From the report she didn't have insurance. I called The Tim to come down since it was only two miles from home and he could check my car for damage before I tried to drive it home.

http://s298.beta.photobucket.com/use...60857793103197

The police came out blocked off the street, took a report, and I drove home when done.

The estimate from the car doctor to fix my cars broken nose around 2500$ and the adjuster said that they would probably waive the 500$ deductible.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Sorry about your car People that drive with insurance, in my opinion, besides being plain stupid are also irresponsible, self centered a.holes! (sorry if you cannot afford insurance you shouldn't have a car on the road....period).

Just console yourself with the fact that she will have a heft fine coming from driving without insurance......and hopefully a license suspension!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Sorry about your car People that drive with insurance, in my opinion, besides being plain stupid are also irresponsible, self centered a.holes! (sorry if you cannot afford insurance you shouldn't have a car on the road....period).

Just console yourself with the fact that she will have a heft fine coming from driving without insurance......and hopefully a license suspension!!

Don't you have your own insurance for uninsured drivers?

Maybe it's just commonplace here in MA (where insurance is required, but in the next state over (NH) it's not) but every single insurance policy I've ever gotten a quote for includes a certain amount of un- or under-insured driver protection.

Too bad about your car. The last person who rear-ended me got a hefty dose of verbal abuse from my 5'2'' 100lb self, which I think surprised him more than actually hitting me!

NH does not require you to have car insurance. (Live free or die and all that) So the responsible people have 'uninsured motorist" insurance. It is very cheap (compared to the rest of the policy), so if you're bothering to insure your vehicles you have that coverage too.

DH had a pallet of feed in the back of the Ford and had to come to a dead stop for our neighbor, who has so many cars I always suspected they just swapped plates and for sure didn't have insurance. She looked up right as the pallet of feed shfted forward and clobbered the back of the cab. Shoved the whole truck forward a couple of feet. His fault, he should have dropped the top ten or so bags, but he was only going five miles yada yada.

She swerved, gunned it and split.

We don't speak to them. I'm trying hard to name your car model, what I see of it is very cute.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

5 is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

A license suspension would be the safest thing for everyone.

My car was cuter than a bug and I had hoped to put off a new paint job for another year but I guess it will happen right now.

When I was 12 one of the things that has stuck with me my entire life was when I was told of the mother that was driving and turned around to yell at her kids in the back, swerved off the road onto the shoulder, hit and killed four 13 year old girls who had just gone down to to the local drug store to get ice cream cones.
    This happened about a mile from where I lived and it hit me hard because it could very well have been me walking down Olsen road.
    Last edited by 5; Nov. 22, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Original Poster

ReSomething...

Now you get me started.

The Putt Putt Car is a 1961* AMC Metropolitan, Sold at Huntington Park Rambler(still have the dealer plate frame and huntington Park is about 10 miles from here so this car has always been local) It just turned 50,000 miles old that weekend. He had the interior redone five years ago and spent the last two years in a ware house while his engine was being rebuilt, machined, new pistons, rings, and painted the correct shade of green and the fan the correct shade of yellow...

I bought it on impulse about 18 years ago. I was lost while looking for a bead store and wound up in a housing tract and saw it gleaming with a newish paint job with a for sale sign in its back window...you know that clech'ed scene in movies where the clouds part, a beam of light hits an object and you hear an angelic chrorus- that was what I felt.
    I stopped, wrote down the phone# and price, went to my bank, opened a line of credit and called the owner of the car, spoke for about 5 minutes and bought it the next day (with a 48 hour window to have it vetted by a mechanic) and drove home. The mechanic told me it was in fine mechanicle shape and then promptly grounded it until I could get a new radiator hose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan

*Just checked the VIN E85892 with the Wiki and apparantly The Putt came off the line in March 1960 so somwhere someone knocked a year off the cars age. (probably the original dealer)
    Last edited by 5; Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Don't you have your own insurance for uninsured drivers?

Maybe it's just commonplace here in MA (where insurance is required, but in the next state over (NH) it's not) but every single insurance policy I've ever gotten a quote for includes a certain amount of un- or under-insured driver protection.
    Never heard of insurance for other un-insured drivers? Here we can either get insurance with/without collision and that's it! If you have it without collision then basically if you're in an accident that YOU cause YOUR car is not covered but the other drivers is; if you have collision then no matter who causes the accident both cars are covered. If I'm hit by an uninsured driver (who's at fault) I have collision so MY insurance covers me BUT without it you'd get nothing! It's illegal to drive in Canada without insurance so why chance it? Is it not that way in the USA?

Never heard of insurance for other un-insured drivers? Here we can either get insurance with/without collision and that's it! If you have it without collision then basically if you're in an accident that YOU cause YOUR car is not covered but the other drivers is; if you have collision then no matter who causes the accident both cars are covered. If I'm hit by an uninsured driver (who's at fault) I have collision so MY insurance covers me BUT without it you'd get nothing! It's illegal to drive in Canada without insurance so why chance it? Is it not that way in the USA?
    Well, you're in a whole different country. No, not every state in the US requires drivers to have insurance. So un/under-insured driver add-ons are (or should be) very common.

Also, either you are confused about what your policy covers or things are different in Canada, but do keep in mind that collision only covers the VEHICLE, not any damage to yourself. Here in the US (or at least here in MA, which is where I am most familiar with insurance billing) your policy breaks down into many different sections.

Here's what you pay to cover damages to your car: $xx
    Here's what you pay to cover damages to their car: $xx
    Here's what you pay to cover damages to other people: $xx
    Here's what you pay to cover damages to property: $xx
    Here's what you pay for glass replacement: $xx
    Here's what you pay for un/under-insured drivers: $xx

And so on and so forth. Much more complicated than either choosing to buy collision or not.

I was hit head on by a drunk, uninsured, unlicensed driver 8 years ago. It was a mess that took almost a year of civil and criminal court cases to figure out. He ended up getting off easy financially and only spent a short time in jail. I was angry about it for a long time.

My dad found his name in the paper this summer and he is back in jail.

Sunset, poor decision makers are rarely "rehabilitated." I've come to the cynical belief that it is something hardwired in their brain, just like addictions of various kinds and blue eyes. I also think it might, just maybe, be because of something we're doing, either nature or nurture.

OP: I hate uninsured drivers also, and trust me, I slap 'em with the fine ($550 in this state) whenever I get one. If someone doesn't have it with them, but seem like they MIGHT have it at home after all, I give them a couple days to bring it in. If they bring it in, great. If they go buy it and bring it in, they get a ticket because I hate liars also. If they don't bring it in, they get a ticket.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I'm very sorry to hear about that! The toughest part of driving isn't controlling your own car...it's trying to figure out what other people are going to do! If nothing else, the state will be on her ass about not having insurance soon....

There was just an accident right in front of my house. It looks like one car was stopped waiting to make a left turn (the turn signal was on when I got out there) and another car plowed right into it. The two people in the stopped car ended up going to the hospital in ambulances. I don't know the particulars, of course, but I suspect that the other driver was distracted by something. NY State is a no fault state, and we are required to carry uninsured driver insurance. So, at least the injured parties don't have that particular problem to worry about.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Well, you're in a whole different country. No, not every state in the US requires drivers to have insurance. So un/under-insured driver add-ons are (or should be) very common.

Also, either you are confused about what your policy covers or things are different in Canada, but do keep in mind that collision only covers the VEHICLE, not any damage to yourself. Here in the US (or at least here in MA, which is where I am most familiar with insurance billing) your policy breaks down into many different sections.

And so on and so forth. Much more complicated than either choosing to buy collision or not.
    I'd have to look at my policy to see what all is on it, but essentially it is similar in AB, but perhaps not QUITE so broken down.

PLPD is our mandatory insurance for liability coverage (damages to other person's car/people/property if I am at fault)
    Collision, Glass, etc coverage is all optional. Collision is mandatory if the vehicle is financed.

My favorite part of our insurance may or may not be an official clause, but it essentially covers damage to our vehicle caused by road-rage-induced wildlife. Zero-fault collision, no change to premiums, and the vehicle gets fixed (or written off)! Nice.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Very different for you than us then! Our insurances (whether you have collision or not) covers bodily injury's. The only insurance coverage that I do not have is for glass coverage on my own car (the only thing you can have waived if you take out full collison). For instance, I had an accident a few years ago that insurance blamed on me. Guy that I hit had a total of $125 damage to his car that my insurance paid. He then turned around and sued me....my insurance provided a lawyer and represented me to get the case handled. They basically ended up giving him $25,000 to shut up and go away as they had a PI that had pics showing his claims were false. Damage to me: my insurance didn't even go up!! (it did raise slightly for the actual accident but not due to his claim). Even if I had not had collision, my insurance company would of represented me with a lawyer for his damages.....just not the damage to my own car!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    There was just an accident right in front of my house. It looks like one car was stopped waiting to make a left turn (the turn signal was on when I got out there) and another car plowed right into it. The two people in the stopped car ended up going to the hospital in ambulances. I don't know the particulars, of course, but I suspect that the other driver was distracted by something. NY State is a no fault state, and we are required to carry uninsured driver insurance. So, at least the injured parties don't have that particular problem to worry about.
    Until their insurance rates go up because they were involved in an accident.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

The most expensive car insurance I ever had was Colorado (I left there in 2003). It was a no fault state, so your insurance paid for your own car's damage, and the uninsured driver portion of my insurance was very high. It was state law that you had to have insurance, but many people still didn't. Where I live now we just have to certify that we have insurance, so many people just lie, but if they hit you the police and judges really nail them for not having insurance.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Original Poster

Big Red-

I doubt the state will do a thing. She was hispanic with an accent (anchor baby) her daughter looked to be half black and the tattooed gang banger looking guy who showed up and called her his wife was hispanic. Everything about the situation screamed professional welfare mom to me.

So not only is she the cause of the accident, uninsured, has the morals of an alley cat, won't pay for the damage to my car on top of it she is living on my tax dollars.

At least my car can and will be fixed, hers is totaled (or would be if it were insured). I was already stopped she did a panic break when she was 10 feet away so the front of her car went under my car and crumpled like an aluminum foil pie pan.

The insurance adjuster was impressed with the damage ratio between the cars.
    '98 Accord vs '60 Metropolitan at slow speed put your money on the little car they were built like tanks.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    NH does not require you to have car insurance. (Live free or die and all that) So the responsible people have 'uninsured motorist" insurance. It is very cheap (compared to the rest of the policy), so if you're bothering to insure your vehicles you have that coverage too.
    We have it in Maine as well.

We have to provide current insurance information when we renew our auto registration. Unfortunately, if you let your insurance lapse (Maine unlike NH does require insurance) the insurance company does not notify DMV so that your registration gets Yankee. It used to be that DMV was notified if you let your insurance lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    My toy car that I have had for 18 years, that I adore and drive on 'nice' days when I want to show off, was plowed into by a 21 year old uninsured woman distracted by her 6-7 Y/o daughter (The child in blue jeans in the photo) driving down the middle of the street like she was the only person in the world.

I saw her coming and I hit my breaks so she would have more room to correct her path.
    Did she?
    NO
    All I could do is sit there and watch as her honda plowed into my car.

I don't even know if she tried to stop but since I was already stopped I only got hit by the forward motion force of her car. She might have been going 15-20mph when I got hit.

I got out and during the exchange she tried to explain away "It was an accident, my daughter was telling me about her rash and I had to see." (Quote)
    I replied that she should have pulled of to the the side of the road and stopped if she wasn't goind to keep her eyes on the road.
    She told me that I had a bad attitude.

From the report she didn't have insurance. I called The Tim to come down since it was only two miles from home and he could check my car for damage before I tried to drive it home.

http://s298.beta.photobucket.com/use...60857793103197

The police came out blocked off the street, took a report, and I drove home when done.

The estimate from the car doctor to fix my cars broken nose around 2500$ and the adjuster said that they would probably waive the 500$ deductible.
    2500$? I looked at your pictures and your car barely looks scratched, is all the damage underneath or something?