The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Listen Up You Liberal Dems!!

And you conservative Republicans! You ideological Independents, gregarious Greens and all others!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm breaking tradition and having BBQ. In 40 degree pouring down rain, I am smoking ribs and chicken, making baked potato salad, yummy baked beans, the works!

It's like that! What are y'all having?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

19 members found this post helpful.

Unfortunately, my husband was not open to a less traditional meal this year (or any year), so we are going the turkey route. Of course, he does all the cooking, so I really don't complain!
    Sheilah

3 members found this post helpful.

Enjoy!

My brother makes lamb and turkey. Everyone brings their favorite side dish, from traditional to odd. We bring green bean casserole (not a fav of mine, but somehow it's my thing to bring), and my husband makes an amazing salad with grilled artichokes, portabello mushrooms, red onion, roasted red peppers, and feta cheese. It's incredible.

4 members found this post helpful.

Oooh! That salad sounds really good!
    The Knotted Pony

We're having fish! And some some fab side dishes like wild rice with mushrooms.

Does this mean I have to secede?
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Feel like sharing that salad recipe, Katyb?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I'm not cooking, just bringing some stuff and going to brother/sister in law's brand new house that they aren't fully moved into yet...we'll see how that goes .

But, I love your post!

2 members found this post helpful.

/laughs

I will ride the mare in the morning, and then we'll drive up to Vermont to my in-laws. My father-in-law is.... eccentric, to put it mildly. I've been known to medicate myself into complacency to avoid setting him off (he actually likes me... he's just terrible at expressing it.) My mother-in-law is very sweet, but I can't talk about my horse around her because she's terrified of horses; she saw a friend killed in a fall from a horse when she was a little girl. And they have a dog. A 120 pound Komondor who is very spoiled and stinks. I want to like her, but I find it difficult because she makes me gag with her odor.

Their house is a fascinating old farmhouse, but they keep it just warm enough so the pipes don't freeze. MIL burns secret fires in the woodstove after FIL goes to bed, so the kitchen at least is warm in the evenings. They have a gorgeous antique round barn; when I met them, they still had a few cows and I'd go spend time with them. But the cows are long-gone (the neighbors got annoyed at finding the cows on their lawn all the time...)

My DH and I whipped up an easy salad-type thing tonight and it will "mellow" in the fridge overnight. Basically chopped, lightly steamed asparagus and peas (original recipe used lima beans, but FIL would grumble at lima beans), white wine vinegar, olive oil, a chopped red onion, and pecorino cheese either chopped into tiny pieces or grated. And some mint. Mix it all up, stick it in the fridge overnight. With enough lima beans and cheese, it actually makes a pretty healthy and tasty meal all on its own.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Love it!

From the sounds of what you're cooking, I want to be at your table tomorrow night! Sounds delicious!

My day won't be crazy tomorrow. Macy's Parade and Aebleskivers in the morning (for those who don't know, they're a round Danish pancake of sorts...and they are the BEST), then a visit to the barn to hopefully get the ponies out and lunged for the first time in a week. It should be dry and sunny for the first time since last Thursday, so I want to take advantage of it! My 87-year-old grandmother will be over for dinner, where we'll have turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, a potato dish my mom makes (lots o' starch here!), a salad of some sort, baked beans, and PIE!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hate turkey, so I'm making a corned beef for myself!

My BBQ is non-partisan, and the fish and mushroom group is highly welcome!
    The Knotted Pony

My SO is allergic to all poultry so it's a Honeybaked Ham for us!! I bought it on Monday and it's been torturing me in my fridge. Damn my lack of self control! I'm also making some apple pie and he's gonna make some mashed potatoes. Oh and wine, LOTS of wine

Happy thanksgiving y'all!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

5 members found this post helpful.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I baked and pureed two sugar pumpkins for a from-scratch crustless pumpkin pie tomorrow! Can't wait to see how it turns out...

You can just drop it by over here in western WA, I'll let ya know how it is
    The Knotted Pony

Turkey. But I loff turkey, so that's fine with me.

My contribution is mashed potatoes. Made with Yukon Gold potatoes and plenty of butter.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Eh, we'll figure out what we are eating tomorrow. Probably pie. With whipped cream.

7 members found this post helpful.

Well Two, I'm very close to that area...

I do all the cooking, and I'm VERY traditional. Pecan and pumpkin pies are in the oven now (my apartment smells amazing!). We're going to a friend's house in a few hours to do the rest. She miscarried 2 weeks ago and was going to boycott Thanksgiving because she didn't want to talk about it and she wasn't feeling very thankful, so I told her I was cooking at her house and we could drink ourselves into a stupor afterwards if that's what she wanted. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole and corn. Plus cranberry sauce of course!
    We eschew all politics at Thanksgiving. All are welcome who refrain from shoving their opinions down my throat
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

5 members found this post helpful.

We're going to the fab buffet at my MIL's retirement community. The food is just great there and there's always something for every taste from the traditional to the vegan. I'm looking forward to seeing my MIL (she is wonderful enough to have a horse named after her) and having a lovely time.

But it is tempting to get a plane to Washington State to try some of Two's BBQ.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Their house is a fascinating old farmhouse, but they keep it just warm enough so the pipes don't freeze. MIL burns secret fires in the woodstove after FIL goes to bed, so the kitchen at least is warm in the evenings

Quietanne, does their farmhouse have the cool old crooked window going up the stairs to the second floor? I'm always so hummed when I see farmhouses in VT or Maine with either a new energy-efficient window or worse, an upright window in that spot. And do you need tiny feet and supplemental oxygen to climb the stairway?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.