The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, Twotru--Church (whatever brand you'd like) can teach the biblical version of events and public schools can handle the scientific version, how about that solution? I'm sure we can develop a system of christian madrasas if you'd like
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

2 members found this post helpful.

I believe that the world was created by God. I believe in creation. So because I believe that instead of the big bang theory, or evolution, my beliefs don't matter and I shouldn't be able to tell others what I believe?

But because YOU believe in evolution, you think that it is what should be taught as the way the world began.

I get it. You don't want anything other than what you believe to be taught or thought about or even considered as a possibility, but far be it for us to believe in what we do because according to you we're wrong.

So, you don't really believe in freedom of religion or speech at all then.

ETA: This was directed at LauraKY

4 members found this post helpful.

Separation of church and state. Period.

I think the choice of charter schools is a good one, and the schools can then decide what and how to teach. Let the taxpayer fund the school their kids attend, and I as a single with no children do not mind paying taxes for the betterment of society-I can support a charter school in my area. I disagree with the poor results of our current public education regime anyway, especially now as I work for a community college that sees the sad results of that public education system I see faculty and admin struggling to fill gaps left from the K-12 system in an affordable way as our "free" education was not worth a dime.

One fed up and stressed out English prof (the main issues are English and Math, college age students with below middle school education!) got mad and yelled out asking when the middle and high school teachers would be held accountable. I agree! His salary is stripped away, tuition is up and children are churned out being taught...what?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I won't get into a pissing match over education, but suffice it to say the teachers that I know and work with are trying their damnedest to educate the children who arrive each day. We have strict standards we teach to (Common Core), assessments we must strive toward (MSP, Washington's state test), and a new evaluation process we must be a part of (Tpep). I am heartily sick of being blamed, as a teacher, for the failings of children and parents. The raging apathy amongst our kids is awful and so hard to battle against. Combine that with parents who have never provided a stable, disciplined encouragement of doing one's best in school and who are absent in their child's life due to a variety of reasons (work? pleasure? choice?), and frankly, we don't stand a chance of producing a child ready to enter the workforce or college.

On the other hand, I am preparing to send on to high school some truly amazing and talented students. Kind, generous, willing and well-prepared for their future. I am proud of the job I do. Until you walk a mile in a teacher's shoes, you have no right to judge us. The society 40 somethings grew up in, and were educated in, does not exist. The internet changed everything. I assign no blame, but the students of today are not the same as the students I began teaching 20 years ago, pre-internet.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    So you are going to lump an entire religious culture and all the people who fall under the "Christian" fellowship all together because of one extremist? That pretty crummy.
    Seems to me that is what people do when they lump all Muslims together when they talk about "Muslim terrorists."
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Seems to me that is what people do when they lump all Muslims together when they talk about "Muslim terrorists."
    Or all non-believers.
    Somehow, the freedom for ALL gets lost on so many, does it.

I am simply agreeing with the opinion and very experienced, educated, and intelligent insights of the community college faculty where I work. The community college environment is picking up the slack created in the lack of education these kids truly need. My college is participating in Achieve The Dream which has been a great help to addressing our public educations failings.

http://www.achievingthedream.org/

It should not be until kids are 18 years old that issues such as poverty, race, cultural differences, and learning styles that are detrimental to succeeding in the US are addressed!

My cousin just retired after spending 40 years as a teacher, she has said repeatedly that politically-motivated public education policies are the death of students really getting an education that serves them to succeed. Instead of English and Math, much needed in the work force, you really want to teach which "ideology" you think is right LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Well, we'll get rid of all courses except English and math, then, shall we? Do we teach reading as English or writing? No science of course--that's too "ideological" for you. No physics, no biology, no history or civics, no art or music, no PE, no industrial arts, none of those fluffy home ec or health classes either. Heavens-no foreign languages allowed--American, only! Which book do we have them read-the bible? God forbid we allow kids to choose their own reading material...that could lead to...free-thinking!!

6 members found this post helpful.

You seem to be reacting like a screaming meme. Please stick to logic and non-irrational leaps of screaming hysteria induced emoting.

You and I both know that is not what I nor the faculty nor the folks at ATD think. You don't seem to have any ideas on resolving or even helping to understand the issue.

I also noticed *someone* went down my list of recent posts and disliked just every.single.one. Even those that are nothing but fun Interesting, Clavincrow. The timing. Very interesting.
    The Knotted Pony

1 members found this post helpful.

Which is also incredibly wrong.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Or all non-believers.
    Somehow, the freedom for ALL gets lost on so many, does it.
    The point I am trying to make is that nobody should just be lumped in one category. People are individuals and should be treated as such, across the board.

*like*
    The Knotted Pony

I can assure you, Two, I did not dislike you. I do not use the thumbs up/down button. I find it to be a bullying tool. If I dislike a post, I'll be glad to tell you directly.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I also noticed *someone* went down my list of recent posts and disliked just every.single.one. Even those that are nothing but fun Interesting, Clavincrow. The timing. Very interesting.
    I honestly can't believe people are paying attention to this - and feeling targeted. Can we stick to discussing ideas amongst ourselves, not worrying what the green and red thumbs are doing?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I just green thumbed you Blugal, just so you can keep track

I think I will just not have any conversation with you

While you say you don't, the timing was more than coincidental. I hope you can understand that it points to you using that as some sort of weird passive aggressive thing and I really disagree with that behavior. I'd rather just not interact.
    The Knotted Pony

I honestly can't believe people are paying attention to this - and feeling targeted. Can we stick to discussing ideas amongst ourselves, not worrying what the green and red thumbs are doing?

I agree but mine went from 0 notifications to 17 in two minutes after I posted to a particular person, it stuck out like a ---sore thumb! I plan on ignoring from now on anyway.
    The Knotted Pony

I think I will just not have any conversation with you

While you say you don't, the timing was more than coincidental. I hope you can understand that it points to you using that as some sort of weird passive aggressive thing and I really disagree with that behavior. I'd rather just not interact.
    Now see, if the other poster is being honest, we are losing the chance of having a thoughtful discussion.

I have actually enjoyed this thread. I have learned some stuff about posters I didn't previously know. I have enjoyed the discourse. And I have actually agreed with the POV of a poster that I very often disagree with, which has allowed me to change how I viewed that poster as a whole.
    Blugal

I agree but mine went from 0 notifications to 17 in two minutes after I posted to a particular person, it stuck out like a ---sore thumb! I plan on ignoring from now on anyway.
    Under your profile, there is also a real "ignore" tab, for those of a more sensitive nature.
    Hope that helped.