The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I am a sunscreen devotee but that wont change the fact that gravity is a harsh mistress
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

Google Rose Hip Oil.

I use Bobbi Brown under and on my eyes
    Rose Hip Oil, Emu Oil and Tebe Night Cream on my face.

I use an Olive Oil based cream and sunscreen during the day. Now, granted, it hasn't done much for the lines that have begun on my 42 year old face, but it does wonders for complexion.

I also eat foods with lots of Antioxidents. I run every day and lift weight a couple times a week. I agree with the poster who said to stay in shape. I eat very, very few processed foods. Try to eat alot of raw vegetables, fruits, and drink lots of unsweetened tea. Whole Foods has the best selection of tea. I'm going to put us into bankruptcy with my Red Pepper addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsAdvil View Post
    Vitamin C cream is the very best thing for undoing sun damage and improving overall skin appearance. The problem is it's not very shelf stable, so I make my own. It has singlehandedly taken 5-10 years off my face with regular use over time (2 months to see maximum benefits). I ordered the supplies from Amazon: vit C crystals, Fruit of the Earth lotion, and some vitamin E oil (optional, but works well w/ vitamin C). It maybe cost me around $20 for the supplies that will last me well over a year and I use it on any areas that show age: hands, cleavage, shoulders, etc, in addition to my face.
    So... I made a batch of Needs Advil's stuff. Some questions:

Should it feel grainy? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Or, will it work, even with a grainy texture?

Many thanks.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I forgot about this thread, What was depressing was an episode of Dr. Oz, about just this subject, and he said nothing that you put on your face will do a thing for wrinkles, because they do not go deep enough, it will hydrate only.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I forgot about this thread, What was depressing was an episode of Dr. Oz, about just this subject, and he said nothing that you put on your face will do a thing for wrinkles, because they do not go deep enough, it will hydrate only.
    True-- when collagen breaks down-- the flying buttresses of the skin-- we are SOL. Just like a horse who trashes a suspensory-- same stuff just very macro.

But! fluffing up the skin with water makes it look pretty good. I started eating only meat, and a crapton of vegetables and my skin looks better. Adding moisturizer makes it look better too. OTOH, supposedly some eye creams have caffeine in them, giving a local diuretic effect.

Also, I believe sunscreen does a lot to protect the collagen's little flying buttresses.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Fifty is a watershed year - after that I becme resigned to the fact that the years were flying by and decided to enjoy them rather than fight the ageing look. I honestly don't mind as much; perhaps it's my eyes, or the bathroom lighting!

Exfoliate, moisturise and use sunscreen - and if you go get a procedure, let us know how it worked.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Sunscreen and a hat when outside for any length of time and sunglasses ALL the time--even in the rain! My daughter says that it looks like an affectation but I burned the cornea of my eyes when I was 24 and have opted to wear the sunglasses constantly. Voila- NO CROW's feet or deep wrinkles from squinting and I am past my mid-60s.

I also buy from the health food store a large bottle of pure almond oil and put it on my face and decolte a few times a day when I am at home- cheap, effective, and it smells good! Also, my Japanese Chin likes to lick it!

I have "good" skin--thick and pliable, but even so I am very pleased with the essentially wrinkle-free appearance, except on my forehead where I have never been able to break the habit of showing puzzlement, amazement or disbelief!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

www.micronaturals.net

Local Reno woman formulates amazing and cheap! skin care products which work incredibly well. Never go outside without Moisture-LOCK to ride.

Alpha Maximum is really age reducing. Not for sun though. Good for night application.

Only drawback is no sun protection. My dermatologist also just told me that sun block works for a maximum of 2 hours! and needs to be reapplied constantly, especially in summer sun. Sigh. No choice unless I want to look like a prune. A spotted prune- sun damage blotches, yuck.

Of course we're at 5000' and no clouds, so the sun is especially harsh, and that can really age your skin if you don't protect it. Always a hat and sun glasses, also I wear Solumbra shirts and clothing- they are fantastic!

I'm pushing hard at 60 and I have skin nicer than many 35 year olds- and less wrinkles. Never have done any more than moisturize and sun screen, so it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Counselor View Post
    And don't forget: DON'T SMOKE!That alone will add years to someone's face.
    Bingo! And excessive drinking and lousy fatty foods. I have used drugstore Roc products for years. Alpha hydroxy acid will put a glow in the skin. My niece once asked if I knew how absurdly young I looked. I replied, I don't give a hoot. I just wish riding didn't hurt so much.

Olive oil! I'm not over 50, but I swear by olive oil! Oil disolves makeup and grime while leaving your skin hydrated and radiant! I quit using soap about 6 months ago and haven't gone back. Plus, it's super cheap! Google "cleansing with olive oil". It'll change your life!

Quote Originally Posted by HorsRdr477 View Post
    Olive oil! I'm not over 50, but I swear by olive oil! Oil disolves makeup and grime while leaving your skin hydrated and radiant! I quit using soap about 6 months ago and haven't gone back. Plus, it's super cheap! Google "cleansing with olive oil". It'll change your life!
    Know as the "Oil cleansing method", or OCM. Olive and castor oils are the ones recommended---you can feel grit coming out of your skin when massaging the oils. I just started using grapeseed oil as a moisturizer while my skin is a bit damp and I'm really pleased with it. This, washing with only water in the morning, my beloved Clarisonic brush and Boscia gentle cleanser at night, sunscreen every day and exfoliating once a week has made a difference. I don't even need to wear a mineral makeup anymore. Oh, I'm 46 and most people think I'm in my 30s.

I have those annoying "11" lines between my brows and I found out about Frownies; they're those sticky papers you wear on wrinkles at night so you can't frown unconsciously. I make my own out of clear first aid tape. In the morning you can barely see the lines at all (by the end of the day, they're back because I must frown a lot) and I look less pi**ed off. If I do it daily they're much less noticeable. If I forget a few days, they're back.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    So... I made a batch of Needs Advil's stuff. Some questions:

Should it feel grainy? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Or, will it work, even with a grainy texture?

Many thanks.
    I haven't had any problems with it being grainy...maybe the vitamin C crystals didn't dissolve completely in the water before adding the moisturizer?

I also recently starting taking a phytoceramide supplement which is supposed to help plump your skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles while improving the skin's moisture. It is an oral supplement, so works from the inside out. They also recommend also using topical vitamin C cream when you take it, so hopefully I'm on the right track. I'm anti botox and surgery for myself, so any little thing I can do to keep my skin and organs healthy, I'm all for

Omg-I have two chins, a red/white and her black and white daughter. If you ever want to talk chins PM me!

This post was for Sakura hill farms post above.

Bliss's Thinny Thin Chin cream is excellent for firming up the jowls and getting rid of the turkey neck.

I have a friend who is working on a micro-current machine (like a very low level TENS machine) that is fabulous for firming up the skin, erasing dark spots, eliminating squint lines, scrawny necks, crows feet, etc. It takes a couple months for it to work but it really does make you look younger. I have one of the first models but she it rushing to get it into the hands of aestheticians and normal people as soon as possible. Its a stronger current than you see advertised in InStyle and other magazines, I'm not sure I would trust those to work.

And don't underestimate the power of water. I barely drink it but after two days of forcing myself to drink a couple of glasses my face just plumped up. I'll never go without it again.