The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    Kinerase or Avon's Anew is similar. I am a huge fan of both. Kinerase is a bit more money, you use it once a day and has slightly different ingredients. Anew is twice a day, does not have snap 8, but is a faction of the cost.
    Just love Avon's Anew - when I can find it! Evens out my skin tone along with keeping the elasticity.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have one of those Linda Evans rejuvineque masks and it seems to work if you have 20 minutes and can bear having electric current running through your face until your muscles twitch and don't mind looking like a hocky goalie.

It is heavy too.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I've decided that all the damage was done in my youth, teens and twenties when I was outside year round, sans sunscreen. Except for when we oiled up at the beach. One of these days, I'm going to look in the mirror and be one giant wrinkle. It is definitely happening.

I also started losing my hair in my mid 20's and now it is still ponytail length but quite thin. I am so happy to have greys because that is one more hair that has not fallen out. But at least it is a pretty grey and I choose to believe (whether it is true or not) that I look healthy and "outdoorsy". That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I'm so grateful for any day I do not have a serious illness or injury, my friends are close and we don't have to stress about some of the silly stuff we stressed about when we were younger. There is more peace and security in myself now, so I guess along with that, I will accept the wrinkles and not line the pockets of the companies that want me to believe their expensive little lotions will defy gravity and time.

7 members found this post helpful.

My mom is 56 and love Arbonne's RE9 collection.

Prescription Retin A....FX lasering helps a lot.

I avoid looking in the mirror!
    I always joke that in my head, I am still 28. And if I don't look too closely at myself, I can still believe I am, lol! I only resent my age (48) when my body gives up on me and prevents me from enjoying what I like to do (riding, hiking, biking, playing etc). Other than that, we age, we get wrinkles...c'est la vie. Staying fit is more important.
    When I was a teen my mother drilled into me that the sun was not my friend (fair skin, blond hair blue eyes, but I do tan easily, fortunately) ad I still use a good moisturizer with 30 SPF year round, on face and hands. But that's it. Whatever happens, happens.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm thinking that plastic surgery, nothing too outrageous, is looking pretty good to me these days.
    But, for that kind of money I could buy a new tractor.

11 members found this post helpful.

Vitamin C cream is the very best thing for undoing sun damage and improving overall skin appearance. The problem is it's not very shelf stable, so I make my own. It has singlehandedly taken 5-10 years off my face with regular use over time (2 months to see maximum benefits). I ordered the supplies from Amazon: vit C crystals, Fruit of the Earth lotion, and some vitamin E oil (optional, but works well w/ vitamin C). It maybe cost me around $20 for the supplies that will last me well over a year and I use it on any areas that show age: hands, cleavage, shoulders, etc, in addition to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsAdvil View Post
    Vitamin C cream is the very best thing for undoing sun damage and improving overall skin appearance. The problem is it's not very shelf stable, so I make my own. It has singlehandedly taken 5-10 years off my face with regular use over time (2 months to see maximum benefits). I ordered the supplies from Amazon: vit C crystals, Fruit of the Earth lotion, and some vitamin E oil (optional, but works well w/ vitamin C). It maybe cost me around $20 for the supplies that will last me well over a year and I use it on any areas that show age: hands, cleavage, shoulders, etc, in addition to my face.
    Would you mind sharing your recipe? i.e. ratios of ingredients? I would be forever grateful!
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I have one of those Linda Evans rejuvineque masks and it seems to work if you have 20 minutes and can bear having electric current running through your face until your muscles twitch and don't mind looking like a hocky goalie.

It is heavy too.
    Apparently weird jaw-jutting exercises is the cure for any fugly neck thing. It sounds like work.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsey nurse View Post
    Would you mind sharing your recipe? i.e. ratios of ingredients? I would be forever grateful!
    I use 1/4 tsp of vitamin C crystals, 2 tsp of warm/hot water. Mix those until the vitamin C is dissolved. Then I add about 8tsp of lotion and just a few drops of vitamin E oil (I bought the strongest I could find so I can use less). That is the ratio that seems to work for me.

I am also from the "baby oil" era. Out in the sun from early morning to late afternoon. Luckily, I have decent genetics so the results aren't as bad as they could have been. I use goat milk soap & lotions. They have made a huge difference is my skin, not nearly as dry & flakey. Won't remove wrinkles, but has resulted in softer silkier skin.

I have used Eterna 27 for a long long time....and I avoid mirrors

tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Default Exfoliate like crazy, twice a week...

But I swear by Origins Dr. Weils line. The Mega Mushroom line is fab. Perks my pallor every time and seems to last several hours.

And of course, hydrate like crazy. I swear an extra 32 oz of water a day makes half my wrinkles fade majikally.

Born and raised 12 miles from the Equator - no sunscreen, etc.

But I've learned to accept life - I decided after 50 that it was time to not care any more. I think that is the watershed age. I know my husband or anybody else are quite ok with my wrinkles

Regarding a bit of botox, etc., I thik it needs to be done earlier rather than later before the lines are too deep or it looks too fake. Overdone facial paralysis is very obvious, with collagen lips, stretched eyes!! I often check out the news or interviewers on tv - not for me!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have very pale skin and have a lot of sun damage on my lower face and upper lip. I found a face care person at my local small town haircutters that did 6 dermabrasion treatments on my face and neck for $300., about 2 weeks apart (as I started late in the winter and wanted to be done before the sun started getting stronger in spring). It definately made a noticable difference in skin smoothness and appearance, but did not erase the deep wrinkles on my upper lip. So the second winter (last Jan) I got Restaline (sp?) injections (basically HA) in my lips. That was $1200 as I needed 3 syringes of the $$$$$ stuff. (I asked if I could just get some from my vet for them to use, but nooo.) That made a BIG difference and I was very pleased. Lips still look good a year later so I may do another round of dermabrasion (she is still there, yay!) this winter, than touch up the lips next year, with hopefully one syringe worth. I am lower 60s, but need to compete in the business world, so horsewoman's skin is not good.

Best advice to younger women is that ball caps do not give enough shade to your face. Nope..
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

And don't forget: DON'T SMOKE!
    That alone will add years to someone's face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I figure if anyone knows good products it would be horsey women.
    I am 54, and I do not like the way I am looking.
    Things are drooping on the face, and the skin just isn't as nice as it used to be. I have used about every supposed age defying product out there, religiously, And personally I see no difference. I actually think none of it really works, if it did, Why are there so many all the time.
    Just thought it would be a good off topic subject. MAybe we can help each other out!
    I swear by this woman's products!!
    Try the Lavange soap and the body lotion. For winter hands? The Anti-Goat Feet. I just turned my sister on to some of this stuff, and she, her daughters and a couple of friends are raving about it.
    http://www.southlandsoap.com/shop.html

Sun damage is the worst, and sunscreen is the only realistic safeguard if you are outdoors a lot.

When I was in high school, we visited our relatives in the States. My Mom, the oldest of her sisters, had skin that looked ten years younger. The difference was shocking and pronounced between her and my otherwise very attractive aunts whose fine wrinkles and freckled skin contrasted against my Mom's clear, wrinkle-free complexion. My Mom had been living out of the intense sun in Alaska for 15 years -- this was before sunscreen was commonly used -- and her sisters lived in Arizona. They were not sun worshipers either, they just had daily exposure from the normal comings and goings of life.

What a graphic lesson that taught me!

Wow great posts all. It is interesting how many of us are from the Baby oil Era!
    Dumb wern't we!
    I have used avon Anew before, maybe I just did not use it long enough.
    I have one of those 300 dollar micro dermabrasion machines. I have only used it twice, and from what it says you have to do it weekly. So I may drag that out again. I am a sucker for products.
    Peteypie. very interesting. And no wonder our ladies from way back when went around with parasols in the sun!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.