The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile IS there anything that works?? Skin care for over 50..

I figure if anyone knows good products it would be horsey women.
    I am 54, and I do not like the way I am looking.
    Things are drooping on the face, and the skin just isn't as nice as it used to be. I have used about every supposed age defying product out there, religiously, And personally I see no difference. I actually think none of it really works, if it did, Why are there so many all the time.
    Just thought it would be a good off topic subject. MAybe we can help each other out!
    Last edited by Sannois; Nov. 22, 2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Typo
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Kim, when you find it, please let me know. I am 57 and the worst part is my hands. Skin getting thinner, much less elastic.
    And nothing bad happened!

I know some people who swear by a product called Nerium.

Gravity's a bitch. I guess there are always facelifts, but a lot of people with them tend to look ... odd.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

3 members found this post helpful.

I have the same issue but still in mid forties I have always taken very good care of my skin but I have thin, fragile skin and...

my french MIL is like "when are you having a lift?".

So I am trying to get into her frame of mind, which is that its just a when not if LOL
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I'm in my mid-sixties and, unfortunately, have found nothing that works. Plus, my former second chin is now a sagging mass of skin. I'm very afraid I'm heading for a neck-lift sometime in the near future.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

A friend of mine has weathered the years well by the religious (perhaps obsessional is the better word for it because she even puts it on at night) use of sunscreen and various peeling agents. Although it could be that she just has good skin in the first place due to genetics. She is in her mid fifties and looks a decade younger at least.

My skin is sensitive and can't handle all those acid creams and I'm not as obsessed as she is.

The thing about lifts is that you have to do them again after 10 years.

I have a Facebook friend selling Nerium that bombards 'us' with before/after pics of people. Hard to tell if photos are doctored/not exact same angle or lighting. I was curious to try but at $100+ a bottle unless you sign up for their auto shipment (if memory serves me correctly), I have better ways to spend that kind of money (like the vet bill I incurred yesterday for a horse that banged her eye somehow and punctured it). Amazon.com has some interesting reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Nerium-Age-Def...ews/B007VDUKT0

I tried Nerium for about 45 days, with no difference except a lighter pocketbook...

2 members found this post helpful.

See I knew it.. I moisturize, and use sun screen.
    But spending my whole life outside in the sun when I was young, well
    Such is life. I have thought about an eye lift. My left eye is getting droopy in the brow area.. I read about some of those procedures, and the brow lift one has severe headaches as a possible side effect.
    I think it is a mind set, Youth is gone, but I go to the gym, feel good most of the time, except the aches of working out, So One should accept the aging process??
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

It's kind of inevitable, right?
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Accept it...and listen to this song whenever you see another wrinkle...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npIbI...feature=fvwrel

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    It's kind of inevitable, right?
    I'm afraid so. Beside, who wants to end of looking like Joan Rivers anyway!

I have used Mary Kay for years. I'm not militant about using it -I don't wash my face twice a day, sometimes forget to moisturize, but still credit it for having good skin in my 40s. I've always been an outdoor person, too. Oh, I always use sunscreen when I am outside. I normally just use the spray on stuff and squirt my face.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Kinerase or Avon's Anew is similar. I am a huge fan of both. Kinerase is a bit more money, you use it once a day and has slightly different ingredients. Anew is twice a day, does not have snap 8, but is a faction of the cost.

The best thing to keep your skin looking nice, before it is too late, is using sunscreen, wearing hats whenever you are outside, sunglasses (no squinting), long sleeves and gloves. If you do not want to bother with all of this, then you will have wrinkles.

I just saw a Dr. Oz program. He said that facial products do not go below the surface of the skin. It is the loss of the production of collegen and too much exposure to the sun that causes wrinkles.

When I was young, I used to blush a lot. Some of the older Southern ladies told me that it was a good thing, because it brought blood supply to my face, which would help later with wrinkles. Who knows if it did? I have a lot of folks tell me that I do not look 60.

Now, since I rarely blush anymore, I do back bends off of the side of my bed every morning, so that blood rushes into my face. I figure that it can't hurt?

I use a product from Time to Spa, which is by LaTherapie and called "Graines De Jeunesse". It comes with day and night, individual Graines, which give you enough for a month. I still use them, even though Dr. Oz debunked the myth of wrinkle creams. I know that it makes my face feel better/softer. I also use the makeup remover that goes along with it. It does a great job of removing makeup, without making your skin feel greasy.

Hands are a different story. Because, as riders and stall muckers, we use our hands like outdoor laborers, it is hard to make them look good. I was looking at my DH's hands the other day. He had a day job for most of his working carreer. His hands look as nice as the day we got married.

I do not believe that there is a magic pill or lotion for us, especially those of us who grew up loving to sunbathe in babyoil. Plastic surgery is just not appealing to me. I am beginning to believe that honoring ever wrinkle, as a testiment to the fact that I have lived 60 years, may be the way to go. (That, and I do not wear my glasses when I look in the mirror. You tend to get soft focus that way! )
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm 50 and things are certainly getting "softer" and droopier. I don't believe there is anything topical that you can put on aging skin to change it other than very temporarily. Sunscreen can prevent further sun damage, but, for most of us, there was plenty of damage done when we were younger that is going to be showing up now...and there's nothing we can do about that.

I believe that my face looks it's age, but most people peg me 5-10 years younger than I am. I think it's because I stay relatively fit, keep my weight down and dress neither too young nor too frumpy. No more tight or revealing clothing! But, also, no sweat pants, mumus, baggy shirts or other clothing that will obscure the fact that I am still in decent shape. I dress pretty casually, but it's clean and fits well and isn't stereotypically the dress of any particular age group. No orthopedic shoes, but no spiked heels either .

I'm going to age, there's no way around it!! I think if I'm active and engaged that people won't consider me "old" until I actually am, which is quite a ways off! And, if I'm lucky enough to still be around when I'm "old", I won't feel a need to apologize for it or try to hide it, it is what it is and it happens to everyone.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    I'm 50 and things are certainly getting "softer" and droopier. I don't believe there is anything topical that you can put on aging skin to change it other than very temporarily. Sunscreen can prevent further sun damage, but, for most of us, there was plenty of damage done when we were younger that is going to be showing up now...and there's nothing we can do about that.

I believe that my face looks it's age, but most people peg me 5-10 years younger than I am. I think it's because I stay relatively fit, keep my weight down and dress neither too young nor too frumpy. No more tight or revealing clothing! But, also, no sweat pants, mumus, baggy shirts or other clothing that will obscure the fact that I am still in decent shape. I dress pretty casually, but it's clean and fits well and isn't stereotypically the dress of any particular age group. No orthopedic shoes, but no spiked heels either .

I'm going to age, there's no way around it!! I think if I'm active and engaged that people won't consider me "old" until I actually am, which is quite a ways off! And, if I'm lucky enough to still be around when I'm "old", I won't feel a need to apologize for it or try to hide it, it is what it is and it happens to everyone.
    EXCELLENT Post and attitude. One I will try to remember.
    I was from the babyoil age.. Holy hell what were we thinking. I can remember my mother saying I looked like a different race in the summer.
    Considering that and being a rider all my life, I guess it could be worse.
    So how about good makeup to use? Anyone tried Sally Hansen that Carmindy uses on TLC's what not to wear??

Sunscreen and a hat, and retinol. I use Neutrogena's. I also like a good 10% AHA used regularly. I would use Retin A but my skin can't tolerate it. My skin looks really good for a 46 year old who has spent her entire life out in the Florida sun (I also surf). That's another reason I don't use Retin A - I'm still going to surf, and it kind of seems like a waste of $$$ if I'm still doing that. I see a dermatologist 2x a year but so far so good (keep your fingers crossed).

On top of having a hysterectomy at 29 (and now being 46), I've lost a bunch of weight (not on purpose) in the last three years. I definitely have old woman skin. It sucks.

What was a kind of second chin has turned into a turkey neck. The skin on my hands, legs and stomach is just papery. I HATE it. BUT, I haven't had a cramp or had to deal with "that time of the month" in 17 years so I guess some things do work out.

3 members found this post helpful.