The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Moose and Electric Fence

Now that the weather is cooling off and the swamp has frozen, I've got moose coming up to the pasture to drink out of my horses' heated water trough. The problem is that they go right through the electric fence. They've figured out that if they hook their antlers in the fence and pull, they don't get a shock. I guess the antlers are not good conductors.

Any suggestions? The electric fence is well-grounded and running just sort of peak output. I'm tired of having to splice and reattach the fence on an almost daily basis. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    Now that the weather is cooling off and the swamp has frozen, I've got moose coming up to the pasture to drink out of my horses' heated water trough. The problem is that they go right through the electric fence. They've figured out that if they hook their antlers in the fence and pull, they don't get a shock. I guess the antlers are not good conductors.

Any suggestions? The electric fence is well-grounded and running just sort of peak output. I'm tired of having to splice and reattach the fence on an almost daily basis. Any suggestions?
    how many strands? Can you add strands so they don't hook them all and still get shocked? OR can you add a trough outside the fence so they don't have to go through the fence?

I suppose I could put another trough just outside the fence. I have a spare trough, a heater, and it would be near the electric outlet. How long do you think it would take the moose to find the new trough? Should I put salt near it to attract them? And this is going to cost a lot -- electricity is very expensive here.

We found the easiest solution was to just given them a heated trough outside the horses paddock.
    That way they left the fences alone.
    Bit of a pain but was better than constantly repairing fences.

1 members found this post helpful.

I suppose I could put another trough just outside the fence. I have a spare trough, a heater, and it would be near the electric outlet. How long do you think it would take the moose to find the new trough? Should I put salt near it to attract them? And this is going to cost a lot -- electricity is very expensive here.
    can you do something other than a heater? I'm sure Meese know how to break ice for the water underneath. What about an insulated box of some sort? Just throwing ideas out, never had to worry about that around here in PA.

I have a friend that lives in AK and she says electric doesn't affect moose because their hair is hollow. Seems accurate, I've always seen them walk straight through electric.

I say share the trough.

ETA I'm not sure they would/could break the ice on a trough; more likely they are capable of breaking the ice on the swamp but why do that when there is a perfectly good warm water trough right there?

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    can you do something other than a heater? I'm sure Meese know how to break ice for the water underneath.
    Good idea! I have an old kiddie wading pool that I used to use for the muskovy ducks (coyotes ate all the ducks. Yes really.) I think the wading pool would be easier for the meese to use -- it's lower than the water trough, and much wider. I'd have to chop the ice out and refill every few days, especially in cold weather, because it will freeze all the way to the bottom.

But now that the meese are accustomed to the water trough, will they take to a wading pool? Again, can I use salt as an attractant?

is meese a term of endearment?

can you adapt something like this?

http://www.ehow.com/how_8258374_keep...ectricity.html

you might also ask on a plumbing board. I bet people who deal with wells and outdoor plumbing might have some creative ideas.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects.../SteveTank.htm

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    is meese a term of endearment?
    Unofficial plural of moose. Mooses is entirely incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    I've thought about it. Problem is -- how do you do a proper dump-and-scrub if the trough is surrounded by frozen manure, or nested inside a larger trough? I refuse to try to start a siphon at -20 degrees!

I've thought about it. Problem is -- how do you do a proper dump-and-scrub if the trough is surrounded by frozen manure, or nested inside a larger trough? I refuse to try to start a siphon at -20 degrees!
    a sheet of plastic between the manure and the bottom of the pool?

edit: I'd use some oil or other freeze retardant on the top of the plastic too.

Got to go now and work on the fences, again. Enjoy the day!

Plural of moose is moose. Meese sounds ridiculous.

I love the not-word Meese.

I love it as a fun word but if I used it in a serious context I would get laughed out of town. It actually makes me LOL to think about asking the guys down at the feed store if they've seen any meese out while they're hunting. LOL! Might have to do it just for the laugh factor!

I was trying to figure out if it was being used in fun or seriousness here...

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I love it as a fun word but if I used it in a serious context I would get laughed out of town. It actually makes me LOL to think about asking the guys down at the feed store if they've seen any meese out while they're hunting. LOL! Might have to do it just for the laugh factor!

I was trying to figure out if it was being used in fun or seriousness here...
    it was used in fun.

I see now; hey I'm home alone sick on Thanksgiving, a little slow on the humor uptake this morning.

I'm sorry you are sick! And alone (or is that a better thing than being sick and having others around?).

Is ok to be slow...I am often that way when NOT sick!

I don't mind being alone too much when Thanksgiving is at the in-laws house... I can only be so alone with five dogs and six cats anyway... it's being sick at the same time that takes all the fun out of it! Thankful today for antibiotics!

and meese.