The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Severe hunger pains - anyone else?

I think I just discovered something. When I get hungry (normally every couple hours), my stomach HURTS. Seriously. Like someone is stabbing me over and over in the stomach with a knife and arrow, together. It's overpowering, and I can't concentrate on anything else. Is this normal? I was talking to my brother, and found out that I might be a bit on the abnormal side! If this is not normal, is there anything I can do to make hunger pains not hurt so much???

What is your normal diet like?

This is probably normal for a lot of people who are on the carbohydrate induced blood sugar roller-coaster.

After switching from a low-calorie (full of carbs) diet to a low-carb diet I don't get those blood sugar swings or those hit me with a brick hunger pains.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think ulcers can cause that to happen. You might want to have it checked out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Could it be ulcers? Maybe the stomach acid working overtime on the stomach lining? Talk to your doctor, that doesn't sound right.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Other than getting it checked out... maybe eating small, frequent meals throughout the day would help? Take a bag of carrots or some apples and just snack on them in between meals.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Other than getting it checked out... maybe eating small, frequent meals throughout the day would help? Take a bag of carrots or some apples and just snack on them in between meals.
    This is how I eat - breakfast, 1-2 "morning" snacks, lunch, 1 afternoon snack, dinner. I still get those pains. I used to eat a high-protein diet, but just changed a week or two ago to a protein-and-carb per meal diet. I avoid fat and sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by nickers@dawn View Post
    Could it be ulcers? Maybe the stomach acid working overtime on the stomach lining? Talk to your doctor, that doesn't sound right.
    I also have bad acid reflux and reflux in my sleep. I take an OTC omep every night. I have been scoped for it and the gastro doc said I just make too much acid. Maybe you're on to something!

There's also a tie between ulcers and low-fat diets. You may want to ask your doctor if you should add a small amount of healthy fats to your diet.

OK, sounds like a trip to the doctor is in order. Thanks for your help, guys! I had previously thought EVERYONE felt like that when hungry!

My stomach gets warm when I get hungry. I have never met anyone else who does this.
    Forward momentum!

Quote Originally Posted by ClassAction View Post
    My stomach gets warm when I get hungry. I have never met anyone else who does this.
    Whoa! That's a new one on me, too!

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Take a bag of carrots or some apples and just snack on them in between meals.
    Oh, the irony! Apples and carrots are more likely to feel the kind of hunger pains that the OP is talking about than other foods.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Oh, the irony! Apples and carrots are more likely to feel the kind of hunger pains that the OP is talking about than other foods.
    Yes! Yes! This has been proven with me.

Make sure you're not taking too many NSAIDs either. I get those very painful hunger pangs if I take them for more than a few days in a row. It's my signal to back off and go back to the Tylenol (which doesn't work on my aches and pains nearly as well).
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Make sure you're not taking too many NSAIDs either. I get those very painful hunger pangs if I take them for more than a few days in a row. It's my signal to back off and go back to the Tylenol (which doesn't work on my aches and pains nearly as well).
    My go-to is 800 mg of ibuprofen, as the others don't work for me. It's very timely that you mention this, as I'm taking quite a bit because of my foot injury. I'll keep track and see if my pains are more severe when I'm taking ibuprofen or not. Thanks for the tip!

I was going to post ulcers also.

get some OTC cimitidine and if your stomache doesn't pain you then it probably 'is' ulcers and you should see a doc about it.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Ulcers are caused by BACTERIA, not by diet. Definitely get checked out. There are much better meds for them now that they understand they're not from eating too many tacos!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Well, I was going to suggest Blue Pop Rocks since it sounds like and ulcer...
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

That's the first symptom I get when my ulcers start to flare up!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Ulcers are caused by BACTERIA, not by diet. Definitely get checked out. There are much better meds for them now that they understand they're not from eating too many tacos!
    Bacteria are one of several causes, not the only. NSAIDS are another cause.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pep...SECTION=causes