The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Changing Aussie pup to adult food?

I recently have been blessed with a new family member-Luke. My now 6 months old Aussie.

It has been 5 years since my last pup and I just don't recall when to change him from pup food to adult food.

I am currently feeding Taste of the Wild (though have rotated around between different grain free diets).

I was looking over the website and, to be honest, can't see much difference in the profile of the adult vs pup food.

Each seem to range from 28-32% protein (+/-).

It seems to me the grain free/high protein diets are very similar in the adult/pup lines?

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I was looking over the website and, to be honest, can't see much difference in the profile of the adult vs pup food.

Each seem to range from 28-32% protein (+/-).

It seems to me the grain free/high protein diets are very similar in the adult/pup lines?
    Is the Aussie eating large breed puppy food or just puppy food? If it is large breed puppy food, then there is probably a difference in the calcium. If it is just regular puppy food, then it's probably pretty similar.
    I feed large breed puppy food to puppies until they are about 1 year old, and then switch them over to adult. They are a little bit bigger than Aussies, though, so this might not be relevant.

I believe TOTW is just 'puppy food' I don't recall seeing a large breed version.

I actually want to change brands-the TOTW/Diamond relationship does not thrill me.

I was feeding EVO but the P&G relationship does not thrill me.

After researching companies I think I am going to back to Orijen.
    Last edited by LMH; Nov. 22, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

My vet had me change over at 1 year from the puppy food for a mini aussie. However, I feed Nutro Natural Choice and they had both a puppy and a small breed puppy.

I changed over to adult food for my mini aussie at about 8 months of age. She was getting a little too stocky and I had her on such a small amount that I couldn't decrease any further.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I believe TOTW is just 'puppy food' I don't recall seeing a large breed version.

I actually want to change brands-the TOTW/Diamond relationship does not thrill me.

I was feeding EVO but the P&G relationship does not thrill me.

After researching companies I think I am going to back to Orijen.
    If you are switching to Orijen I'd go ahead and do it now. It is such a high quality food the adult food will be more than enough for your dog (better than keeping your pup on TOTW!).

I have Dobermans who grew up on Orijen and I switched them at around 5-6 months to the adult food.

I feed adult food from the get go. Most quality grain free diets have high enough fat and protein contents for puppies.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    I feed adult food from the get go. Most quality grain free diets have high enough fat and protein contents for puppies.
    Me too. Don't think I've *ever* fed "puppy food."

You DO have to watch out for the calcium levels, though. Nothing over 1.8% until the dog is over a year. Lower is better.

Thanks for all the feedback. I visited a local pet store with all kinds of grain free foods-some that were new to me.

He is being transitioned to adult "Back To Basics" for now and will rotate that with other products like Orijen, etc.

I am just thrilled to know I have several options locally. I have always like rotating protein sources and grain free foods.

Thanks again.

I fed my black lab large breed puppy food (Wellness) until he was 15 months.. at which point I switched him to a grain free adult food, currently Acana. My general rule of thumb is that the bigger the breed the longer they should stay on puppy food.