The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Many good thoughts for you. It sounds like you're strong and that you've survived some really bad patches already--hoping for a better follow-up prognosis and for continued strength for you.

We are keeping you in our thoughts and hoping for a good follow-up prognosis. I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with your friends!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Many good thoughts for you Punkie, you are certainly handling this with a grace and dignity I could never muster. I hope you get good news on Friday.

My thoughts are with you as well.

One of my boarders was diagnosed in her 40's with stage 4 colon cancer. The odds said it was unlikely she'd survive two years, let alone any longer. I am here to say not only is she here, her doctors have gone from describing her treatment as "palliative" to "curative". In the time since she was diagnosed she reconnected with a friend (whose wife battled cancer), they fell in love, and they just got married a few months ago. In fact, hard as it is to believe, in many ways the cancer diagnosis was the one of the best things to happen to her.

I know the attitude that helped her was to find the gratitude and good thing in everything as she went through this. I am not sure I could do it, but she did -- she was grateful for the chemo (even though it made her sick) because it was getting rid of the cancer; she was grateful for her friends etc etc.

Love and healing thoughts to you. You do after all have the power of COTH behind you! Hugs.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hugs and prayers that you find a cure! I lost my husband in 2009 to melanoma our son had just turned a year old. It's not the way life is supposed to be. Kudos to you for being responsible. The day of our stage IV diagnosis, John came home and typed up two documents and put them on the main screen of the computer where I couldn't lose them! He put his medical treatments and he put his assets/liabilities/ logins and passwords that would be relevant. We had our wills drawn up. It's hard stuff and it sucks, but I can tell you I would have been clueless without it! Of course there are still things to this day that allude me... and all I can think of is, "I bet John knows where that is!"

Hugs and prayers. We all should live life more dearly because we never know when it could end. I hope you beat the odds!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I'm thinking positive for you too - I refuse to think otherwise. There is another number to each statistic, a good one.

30 years ago one of my best friends was diagnosed - at that time I could not say breast and cancer in the same sentence. She went through the processes of denial, depression, etc. until she decided she would fight - and my goodness, she is doing well now well into her seventies....

She taught me so much regarding courage, and to be her friend is a privilege. Good luck and lean on your family and friends.

And for giving the advice - everyone who has a single asset should have a will
    and appoint someone to have power of attourney, financial and medical.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I'm sending you enormous amounts of jingles and prayers! I, too, am hoping for a positive outcome on Friday. Countless hugs to you, and please let us know what you find out.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

punkie i was dx with metastacis and given weeks to live january 2006.
    they were wrong.

i pray they are for you too.
    (((((((hugs)))))))

Best wishes for good news on Friday. But that's not today. For now, dig the snot out of Cocoa Beach, sistah.

I have had the privilege of being a trusted confidant of a mentor of mine who was diagnosed with brain cancer about 15 years ago. The dude outlived his prognosis, one six-month window between MRIs at a time.

He talked a lot about death and what he wanted. He also changed his mind a lot. You know what? It was great being around to support him as he did that. I felt close to him and good about myself that he'd trust me with that stuff. Often, he'd bring it up. I think it was because he never wanted to be ambushed by the topic. If he controlled when and how we talked about his death, it worked better than when other people asked on their terms and their time-table.

In any case, I hope you have good people around you who can just listen and roll with whatever you need to say. You can count me in for that.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Punkie, jingling like crazy for you!!! I will say prayers for you too

Anywho- bit of advice re your estate planning. Be careful about the animal trusts. Many states have statutorily created the ability to entrust stuff for the benefit of the animals ( I assume you live in one of those states).

However, there are real problems with the "animal trusts", the biggest offender is getting a human to have standing to enforce the terms of the trust. If the statutory solution is to give some one, usually the Attorney General or States Attorney, standing to enforce the trust ala charitable trusts, you may want to talk to your estate planner about alternatives, mostly because the AG is too busy to pay attention to somebody's horse.

Don't stress though, I'm sure you will hire a very good estate planner and that person will know the best way to protect your horses.

(((HUGS)))

Hugs

1 members found this post helpful.

Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Thinking of you today! I hope you get some decent news!

I hope you received some good news today.

Thinking of you today, too.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Hope that today brought good news

Praying for good news, my thoughts are with you.

Punkie, I've been following your story. And hoped for much better. Hoping for the absolute BEST news for you on Friday. There are people you've never met pulling for you and thinking of you. I hope that counts for something to the powers that be.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Sending you hugs, prayers and jingles for good news on Fri.