The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Making Christmas Presents?

The dog bed-making thread on Menagerie, plus a replacement-ready pillow has given me an idea for a present for my sister's dog. Anyone else going homemade?

partially. I am making this magnetic frame board for granddaughter and DD is supplying the magnetic letters.

I knit. Mostly socks and gloves/mittens, hats, etc. Ever wear a pair of made-to-fit wool socks with your barn boots?

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm actually going to a felting class on Saturday so I can make some cool little felted animals as gifts for christmas. Would also like to make soaps...

I'm making Apple Cider and Sea Salt Caramels, Dark Chocolate Covered Pomegranate Seeds and Carmelized Onion Marmalade for gifts this year.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

We make most of our Christmas gifts to others. We've done candles and candy in the past, DH is a woodworker so we've done handmade/painted items, I sew so we've made everything from wall hangings to tote bags and other useful items or holiday decorations. This year I learned quilling so some family members are getting framed quilling projects. Also have a paper wreath (made one for our house and a family member loved it - so I made one for her favorite holiday), counted cross stitch, another wall hanging, and some customized holiday ornaments.

My grandmother and I were out shopping and found these adorable resin cupcakes in a display at a shop. She tried to buy a few (she loves to decorate her house and wanted them for some decorative bowls/stands she has) and the shop said they didn't sell them, they keep them for their own displays. So we came home and I made her a half dozen cupcakes out of clay (complete with cherries and sprinkles and different frosting styles!) and gave them to her. Now the whole family has seen them and everyone wants some, so I have rows of fake cupcakes in various stages of production!

Sometimes it pays to be an art major. I love being able to give someone something that's one of a kind and custom made for them, and our family and friends seem to love it, too.

I enjoy making things for others!
    One is my annual peppermint wreath for my fellow boarders.

I bought a straw wreath from a craft store and hot glue individually wrapped peppermints to a decorative ribbon, then wrap the ribbon around the wreath. There is another ribbon hanging down with scissors tied to it to cut the mints off.

It weighs about 10 lbs at first, and lasts about 6 months for 15-20 boarders.

This year I'm painting small cavorting horses on the plain wooden frame of a store bought clock for the tack room. There will be a small sign hung from the frame saying "Time To Ride" on one side and "Time For Chores" on the other.

1 members found this post helpful.

I enjoy making things for others!
    One is my annual peppermint wreath for my fellow boarders.

I bought a straw wreath from a craft store and hot glue individually wrapped peppermints to a decorative ribbon, then wrap the ribbon around the wreath. There is another ribbon hanging down with scissors tied to it to cut the mints off.

It weighs about 10 lbs at first, and lasts about 6 months for 15-20 boarders.

This year I'm painting small cavorting horses on the plain wooden frame of a store bought clock for the tack room. There will be a small sign hung from the frame saying "Time To Ride" on one side and "Time For Chores" on the other.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've done personalized decoupage stuff in the past. Boxes, plaques, a wastebasket, etc.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    I'm making Apple Cider and Sea Salt Caramels, Dark Chocolate Covered Pomegranate Seeds and Carmelized Onion Marmalade for gifts this year.
    OMG, how do I get to be your friend?

8 members found this post helpful.

I am pretty crafty, so every year I make the bulk of my presents for people. I started making bibs and baby blankets two years ago after all of my friends started popping out kids and I couldn't afford to spend several hundreds each each for gifts (The first year I had 13 friends get pregnant in 12 months).

Now I make soap and bath products, and I really enjoy giving those to people. I can customize the scents and send them exactly what they want and will use.

In the past I've made "doggy" friends homemade dog cookies too.

My non crafty friends really seem to like getting crafty things.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

1 members found this post helpful.

Good heavens! PLEASE pm some of your secret recipies! Going handmade this year too.
    ....... pausing

Not sure if I will get around to it, but one year I made homemade cookies...they were the absolute hit with everybody!

but since my oven has died....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I make some horsey cookies for horse friends that the ponies seem to love! Just bag them in Christmas cookie bags and add some ribbon. I do have to warn them they are for horses though. I saw someone take a bite once. It wasn't pretty. Haha.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I make soap and vanilla extract for friends and family

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    OOOH could you please share your recipe for sea salt carmels? I have been looking for a good one.

I am making a lot of my gifts this year... always do, but this year it's a financial necessity. A selection of truffles & candies, infused booze & home made mixers, some not-your-grandmother's cross stitches, hanging terrariums/planters, a jewelry case, several pieces of jewelry & dog tags... oi, I gotta get busy!
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

[QUOTE} I make soap and vanilla extract for friends and family ![/QUOTE]

Would love the recipe for this if you don't mind! thanks...
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

I've made afghans for people in the past, but it's been a long time since I had sufficient time to devote to such endeavors. You guys have some great ideas!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    [QUOTE} I make soap and vanilla extract for friends and family !
    Would love the recipe for this if you don't mind! thanks...[/QUOTE]

I use a lot of different recipes for soap, you can find lots on the internet!

This is one of my favorites:

Oatmeal Soap (Kathy Miller)
    32 oz. cold water (4 cups)
    12 oz. lye crystals
    4 pounds lard (64 oz.)
    17 oz. olive oil
    8 oz. coconut oil
    Fats and lye solution between 95-100 degrees, the lye a bit cooler.
    Add at trace:
    Fragrance if desired
    1 cup pulverized (fine) oatmeal or rolled oats - measure AFTER pulverizing
    The oats can be pulverized with the blender. If you have one of those small jars that come with your blender, this works especially well for blending oatmeal and herbs for soapmaking. This soap has a gentle wholesome smell after curing and a nice scrubby quality for your face.
    If you want this even scrubbier... you could add half again as much oatmeal... 1.5 cups if you like.

If you have never made soap before find a good tutorial as the recipe isn't quite enough info! As for the vanilla, just take two vanilla beans and put them into a pint jar then fill with the alcohol of your choice. I prefer bourbon. Wait atleast 3 months and voila! you have vanilla extract. I buy little bottles and have labels with my farm name on them made