The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shaving

I am trying to decide whether or not to shave. Some people at my barn say no, but I'm not sure. I ride at least 3-4 days a week and my horse gets quite sweaty, both sides of his neck, under the saddle, chest, belly, ears. I was looking at doing a hunter cut but people at my barn said blankets are a hassle. I don't want him to get chills and get sick because I'm to lazy to deal with blankets.

If you clip, you have to blanket accordingly. You'll need a sheet, med weight and heavy weight (depending on where you live) plus stable blankets if your horse lives in.

If you don't mind cooling out more, don't clip.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

You either need to commit to the time it takes to cool out and dry a horse with long hair, or you need to commit the time it takes to blanket a clipped horse properly.

7 members found this post helpful.

I guess I don't understand your dilemma. If you are "too lazy" to blanket then don't clip? But it takes me a lot less time to throw a blanket on a horse than it does to cool down a sweaty yak. Which is why I've got 4 clipped horses on the property. 3 are blanketed in 3 different blankets; full clip is in a medium weight turnout with neck cover, the half head/neck/body is in a heavy weight turnout without a neck cover, and the trace clip is in a medium weight turnout w/o a neck cover. The pony also got a bib clip, but although it helps his rider, it's more for the "diet plan" that allows me to feed him a little more hay over the winter, so no blanket for him.

I don't find it to be a hassle. None of mine get blanketed differently on a day-to-day basis, so the only "work" is the 30 seconds it takes me to throw the blanket back on when we're done.

Unless you live some where really cold you can do a low trace clip and not blanket.

1 members found this post helpful.

Lol yea why are blankets a hassle? I would rather clip and blanket than wait for my horse to dry. It's 100 times easier!

3 members found this post helpful.

Count me in on much rather clipping (and you CLIP a horse. You SHAVE your legs...sorry. Big pet peeve) and blanketing than deal with a sweaty mess. Right now I'm dealing with a sweaty mess, and because he's allergic to sweat (no, not kidding), I have to hose him off. He's been clipped once, and was supposed to be on vacation until December but has made it very obvious that that's not happening. So, now we have to clip earlier than planned. Waiting for the vet to get home so I can get drugs to clip the beast!!!

Count me in as well. give me clipping and blanketing. But I'm really hoping the "too lazy to blanket" statement was 1000% tongue in cheek if you're a horse person.... Because.... Blankets take less than a minute to switch. It's one of the simplest, least time consuming things you can do with a horse.
    But if you clip, you had better well give a darn enough about your horse's well being to make sure you have adequate layers. My last gelding had a cotton sheet, a fleece sheet, a fleece sheet with a neck cover, two winter blankets, a hood and a turnout for my layering pleasure. Unless you are willing to commit to making sure the horse is comfortable, don't even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    I don't want him to get chills and get sick because I'm to lazy to deal with blankets.
    He's more likely to get sick from sweating heavily in the cold & then remaining damp & chilled, then if you clip & he's on they cool (but dry) side with his blanket (just feed extra hay & he'll keep himslef warm - within reason) ... depending on your location,
    Bucas offers the Power T/O which has a recommended 14 to 61F range (5 to 68F lower/upper limits for horse comfort)
    & the Power T/O extra for temperature ranges -13F to 55F
    (the Multi Power is a combination stable sheet & Power T/O).
    I chose Bucas for the Stay-Dry lining which allows the blanket to be put directly on a wet horse.

Clip him. Start with a neck and belly clip/bib clip- you can take more hair off if you need to.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Maybe OP meant "laziness" in the sense of having to drive all the way out to the barn to change a blanket if the weather changes, even if they weren't planning to ride.. I can commiserate with that, since my barn is 45 minutes away (and I know others drive even further for their horsies). The act of changing the blanket is only 30 seconds, but it ends up being an hour and a half affair if you have to drive, not always feasible on a weeknight! Anyway, maybe that's what they meant.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by YEG View Post
    I can commiserate with that, since my barn is 45 minutes away (and I know others drive even further for their horsies). The act of changing the blanket is only 30 seconds, but it ends up being an hour and a half affair if you have to drive
    that's why I went Bucas (ugly) silver blankets - the properties of the blanket depend on the coating for which the silver is a component.

Do a blanket clip - you clip the head, neck and belly. How low or high you clip depends on personal preference. My blanketing routine is exactly the same for a blanket clipped horse as it is for an unclipped horse. Huge, huge timesaver and allows me to work the horses a little longer and harder without overheating.

When considering how much "work" blanketing is, please consider that your horse stays much cleaner and that you won't have to chip the dried mud off of a long haired horse with a chisel before riding.

I am all about low maintenance, and if I want to do more than a walk/trot trail ride in winter, blanket clips and a turnout rug are the way to go.

Sorry, haha, I wasn't sure whick one to use, but now I do.

Well, the horse isn't at my house, so they were saying if the weather gets too hot and you can't come out here to take if off and what if we are out of town then your stuck, it's not that I'm actually lazy. Usually I just brush him when he is sweaty and stall him or put him out, but right now its stalling.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to clip now. I've been looking at clippers and it seems like a lot of people like Wahl. I'm planning on getting on that plugs in from the whole bodyand a re-chargable one from small areas like then face, but im not sure what to look for and whats a resonable price. Here are the two I'm looking at. http://www.horse.com/item/wahl-iron-...er/SLT052111/# and http://www.horse.com/item/wahl-pro-s...ipper/E000480/ What do you guys think?

I'd really want to have a system in place with my boarding stable to accommodate sudden and extreme changes in weather, clipping or no clipping. Is this not an option where you board? In the absence of the ability to have someone change a blanket, I'd probably avoid clipping and leave the horse with its coat. FWIW I love Lister Star clippers for big jobs and good old Oster A-5s for small jobs. And forgive my lack of formatting--new COTH software does not jive well with Windows 8.
    Click here before you buy.

Those clippers - both sets- would be OK for keeping bridlepaths and muzzles neat if you only own 1-2 horses, but aren't suitable for body clipping.

For body clipping, if you want to stick to wahl, either the Storm or KM2 clippers would work. I've used both and been pleased.

Well, the horse isn't at my house, so they were saying if the weather gets too hot and you can't come out here to take if off and what if we are out of town then your stuck
    Did you look at the blanket I linked?

Bucas offers the Power T/O which has a recommended 14 to 61F range
    I can't imagine where you live that would have more than a 47F degree temperature swing

I just body clipped my mare with a pair of Wahl Arcos. They ran like a champ, but she was filthy and wiggly. I'm pretty sure all the other horses will be teasing her until I can get out on Saturday and finish the hack job.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.