The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I know several people who live their CR-Vs.
    There are few things in life, except my animals and people, that I love more than my CR-V. What a workhorse that car is. It's just big enough to fit everyone/everything comfortably but parks and drives like a small car. If I won the lottery and was filthy rich... I'd just get another one not some fancy schmancy high end car. Really, really happy with the CR-V.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Glad you're okay!

I'd say take a look at Subaru. I'm on my 2nd Forester (after a dingbat ran a red light and totaled #1). They're safe, and roomy- good dependable cars and the AWD is nice, too! I don't know if they quite get the gas mpg that you're after, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    There are few things in life, except my animals and people, that I love more than my CR-V. What a workhorse that car is. It's just big enough to fit everyone/everything comfortably but parks and drives like a small car. If I won the lottery and was filthy rich... I'd just get another one not some fancy schmancy high end car. Really, really happy with the CR-V.
    My sentiments exactly. I'm on my 2nd CRV (I bought the original 1997 model and now have a 2007) AWD, and this time I sprung for the leather seats and sun roof.
    I love the fact that I can easily fit 6 bags of shaving plus several bags of horse feed in the back, no problem. Unloading cargo from the hatchback is a snap. The CRV handles well, has a comfortable ride, is great on snow and ice, and gets good mileage (about 24 in town 28 mpg on the highway). Even my husband loves my CRV! If I won the lottery I would buy another CRV, although I don't care for the new body style.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming. You've given me ideas like the Subaru that I wouldn't have come up with. And one advantage of living where I do is that I can probably test drive anything within. 2-mild radius of my house.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Another CRV lover here

I needed a car that could hold all of my stuff during cross-country trips, drive well to the slopes in a snowstorm, have high safety ratings, and decent gas mileage. It's great for all of the above, but my gas mileage has been painful since I moved to the city. I watched my average creep from 30 to 24 mpg. Yowzers!

My other final contenders were the Toyota RAV4 and the Suburu Forrester. I actually preferred driving the suburu, but I share with my Mom sometimes and she hated the smell of the new suburu (they reek!).

ANother factor is the service department at the dealer you will buy from. The Honda dealers where I used to live, and where I live now are wonderful. I have been going to the current one for about 2 1/2 years, and when my car's ready the mechanic takes it out front, moves the seat to the right spot (he's very tall, and I'm not) and tells me it's ready as he goes through the waiting area. They usually have the same mechanic scheduled for when I go in.

My friend with a Subaru hated it, but only because of the service departments at the two places she had it serviced at. She was fine with the car, and it's quality, but the service departments were awful at both places. My first new car was a Ford, but I didn't get another because of the service departments at the three places I went to, and probably will never buy another one because of that too. Other people's experience might be different, but I tend to hold grudges about bad service, and with all of the car brands out there, if I get bad service or bad attitude then I don't go back.

The new CR-V's are so popular that I've never seen one in the dealership windows. They always sell before they hit the lot, but I do understand that the 2012s all have backup cameras, and that the next version in 2013 or 14 will have a larger cargo area. I have a 2003 Honda Element, and intended to always have them, but they discontinued them, so I guess it will either be a CR-V or Prius V next time around.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

An update. I drove a Subaru Impreza and a Honda CR-V. Missed the FIT feature of the back seats that fold up so you can put tall things on the floor of the back seat (very handy for plants), but nothing else seems to have that.

Liked the Subaru and the way it handled.

The CR-V was more car that I'm used to driving (size-wise) and I felt a bit silly driving an SUV. That may have been exacerbated by spending the weekend with my brother and his family as he HATES SUVs. But a very nice car. The people at the Honda dealership rubbed me a bit wrong. The first salesmen justified higher financing % on the CR-V b/c they're so popular that they sell fast, as evidenced by the fact that there aren't any 2012's left. Then his next-higher-up comes in and offers to sell me a 2012 (or a used car, which makes me think that the 2012 was new). WTF? The price he quoted was $200 over dealer's invoice, but the state license fees were higher than at the Subaru dealer. I wasn't sure while at the dealer, but checked my memory of the Honda quote against the paper quote from the Subaru, and that was the case.

I will try to drive a Mazda on the way back from the barn Wednesday and a KIA Forte maybe tomorrow. Both of those dealerships are a bit far from my house which could present problems WRT service if I wanted to have it done at the dealer.
    The Evil Chem Prof

First - I seriously sat here and tried to figure out what "FIT" stood for for a few minutes. I am getting used to the abbreviations on this board, I figured it was Fiance something-or-other!

Sorry to hear about your accident and hope your shoulder feels better. I have a 2001 Jetta that I love, but it doesn't get the best gas mileage. My best friend has a Mini Cooper though. I really like her car, and shehas said it gets excellent mileage. Parts can be pricey but she hasn't had hardly any trouble that I can remember with hers. Plus it's cute as heck
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by RWR View Post
    I love my Mazda3 hatchback! Their new skyactiv models get up to 39mpg hwy.
    I am reading the thread now - I forgot about these! Very nice cars!

Also - my dad has a Suzuki SX4. That's a pretty cool little car as well. He travels an hour each way for work and has said it has pretty decent mileage.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Hey Peggy, did you try out the Mazda and Kia place yet?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Drove a Mazda 3 which was fun but ended up buying a Subaru Impreza. So far very good. Never ventured to the Kia place
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

Even though Peggy has her new car (and I'm an admirer of the Subaru Impreza!), in case anyone's still looking at this thread, I have to put in another good word for the CRV. I bought mine new in 2000, and it now has 200,000 miles. It's needed nothing out of the ordinary. I did replace the radiator at one point (husband did the work to the tune of $110) and I think also had a sticky valve thing that was not that big a deal to fix. Oh yeah, and an exhaust repair that wasn't too bad. Oh wait, also had to replace the auto window motor - again, DH could do it for minimal cost. But over the course of nearly 13 years, I've spent relatively little on repairs and maintenance. It looks good, and the MPG is about 25, with a lot of city driving. Took her in for a checkup recently, and they couldn't find anything wrong with her. I've found that my local Honda dealership is really honest and reasonable for the most part (they wanted too much for the radiator repair, but they don't try to fix things that aren't broken). I dread having to replace her one day. (I know it's sexist to refer to cars in the feminine, but my then 7-year old daughter named her Chase Dakota, after some lady on one of those home design shows, and so she's a she....)

Hmm. I might be in the market soon, but definitely want a COMMUTER car, ie 30+ mpg a minimum.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

A friend with a Mini Cooper (the two seat convertible model), only two seats, but a huge trunk, took me around town yesterday and I love it! It gets over 30 mpg around town, and she just got over 40 on the road driving long distance. As I said before, the problem with it is that the nearest dealer service is Atlanta, and that's a long drive for a car problem. The Honda Accord gets great mileage. The Honda CR-V for 2012 all models have backup cameras, and I think the Prius's do also. Supposedly the next model of the CR-V (I guess the 2013 or 14) will have larger cargo space.

The Prius line all get well over 40 mpg, and seem to hold up extremly well.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    A friend with a Mini Cooper (the two seat convertible model), only two seats, but a huge trunk, took me around town yesterday and I love it! It gets over 30 mpg around town, and she just got over 40 on the road driving long distance. As I said before, the problem with it is that the nearest dealer service is Atlanta, and that's a long drive for a car problem. The Honda Accord gets great mileage. The Honda CR-V for 2012 all models have backup cameras, and I think the Prius's do also. Supposedly the next model of the CR-V (I guess the 2013 or 14) will have larger cargo space.

The Prius line all get well over 40 mpg, and seem to hold up extremly well.
    I doubt the 13 CRV will be a redesign, as the 2012 is a new model. My mother got hers in January (the first one that came in to the dealership) and LOVES it. Gets 30+ MPG highway, room for loads of dog crates (she's travelled with up to 6, no idea how she does it!) and it's a very nice-driving car. You do pay a premium for the Honda name, and they're a bit lacking in features compared to some of their competitors, but they are a great car for many people.

I'm partial myself to the new Ford Escape, I drove a 2.0L EcoBoost model and was blown away. Roomy, lots of power, economical, fun to drive, and great features. I definitely think it's going to be my next car.

CRV here. 2004, could still get a manual back then has 185k miles, has never broke down and gets good mileage.

I had a suburu for about four months. I hated the brakes. I went to the dealership and drove a bunch more.. Hated all their brakes, the salesman said go back to an Acura or a Honda if you like a car that has a hard, right now! Stop. I do, so I did.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I just checked the mileage on the second tank of gas on the Impreza and the running MPG, with roughly 300 miles on that tank, is 36 mpg. This is mostly freeway, though not all freely-moving freeway. With similar conditions I would get 40 or close to it on the Honda FIT.

I loved the FIT until the day it had to stop fast and didn't and googling "Honda FIT braking" brought up "problem" as the next suggested word. In retrospect, it never had the same hard stop that my Acuras did. But it has drum brakes behind which I don't think the CRV does. So, EqTrainer, I am curious what you hated about the Subaru brakes so I'm warned. At the moment, braking is very important.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Peggy, does your car feel like it builds to a hard stop? My suburu, and the ones I drove, never felt like the stop was right there. It felt mushy, for lack of better terms, the salesman said suburus have a softer stop than an acura (I had an Integra before it) or a honda and that it was a matter of preference. I like my cars like my horses - hot off the aids LOL. My acura would toss you thru the windshield, my CRV is not quite as touchy. Bur in the suburu I always felt like I was going to hit someone, it scared me. We ate some $$ on that one but it was worth it because it unnerved me so badly.
    How do you feel about how your car stops?
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Yes, the Acura had a whoa like a western horse. I tested the Subaru a bit (after first warning the salesperson) and it felt sharp. Hard to tell if it felt sharper than the Acura since that's been awhile. The Fit always felt to me like the Subaru apparently felt to you so I know what you mean. But it never scared me enough to replace it until that final stop. Maybe Subaru has done something about their brakes in the last 8-9 years. The car does feel safe and solid to me. I was a bit freaked out after the accident and the rental car (Nissan Versa) wasn't reassuring me.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Yup, cowboy brakes!

Hope it works out for you
    ---