The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default Another car thread - Honda CRV, another hatchback, or ???

I decided not to hijack the other car thread currently on page 1 b/c it seems like they are maybe looking for something a bit bigger.

The FIT and I failed to stop in time when someone (who later left the scene) slammed on their brakes, causing the person in front of me to slam on theirs, etc. I really thought I had enough space to stop. The car is totaled b/c although not much area was damaged, it was the expensive part. I am fine, though my left shoulder feels like I rode a horse that pulled hard on the left rein.

I can spend $20K-ish, and by that I mean +/- about 15%, not that I really want to spend $15K. I am willing to consider used or new. I can drive a stick. My garage as currently configured has about 181" of length. I could move a couple of storage things and get some more length. Gas mileage is important as I drive a lot--I'd prefer something that gets HGW mileage in the low to mid 30's (I could get 40 on the FIT on a good level day). As a horse person I have a fair amount of crap that I haul around so a hatchback or small SUV would be appropriate.

Was all set to go out and replicate the FIT, color and all, until I read about some reported braking issues with FITs which now has me a bit freaked out (see second paragraph where I noted that I really thought I had enough distance to stop). Probably not a good sign when you start to Google "Honda FIT braking" and it offers "problems" as an ending. Even before that I was thinking that a bit more height might be a good thing b/c maybe if I'd seen the first car stop it would have mitigated some of the damage.

So, hit me with your suggestions, both with respect to vehicles and sites that evaluate them. I plan to drive a Honda CRV after the holiday, but that's about as far as I've gotten. My parents have a subscription to Consumer Reports.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Golf TDI if you do a lot of driving. It's a fantastic car to drive, gets great fuel economy and holds lots of horse stuff (I can roll my big Stanley tool trunk - my "tack trunk" - right into the hatch no problem, and still have room). I don't drive enough to make the diesel engine worthwhile getting, but if I drove more I would spring for one no question.

1 members found this post helpful.

Get yourself a TDI, either the Golf (smaller) or the Jetta Sportwagon. 40+ MPG, right in your price range brand new, and they're fun to drive to boot.

Subarus get 30+, and they have a variety of hatchback models. And everyone loves a Subaru.

I love my Kia Forte 5Door. Rated 36 MPG on the highway. Love my roomy, concealed storage area and fold down seats for even more room. I had a 4-door compact sedan before and no one wanted to ride in it because of the horse stuff! So it was really important to me to get a hatchback and get my gear out of the back seat. My commute is about 100 miles round trip with rush hour traffic both ways and I LOVE driving this car!

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Peggy.

Consider a Subaru Impreza. They are in your target price range, roomy, reliable, and get great gas mileage (27/36). The spouse is getting ready to buy a Subaru Crosstrek, which is the lifted, AWD verson of the Impreza, so we've recently spent a lot of time checking them out. I'm really impressed by them.
    --o0o--

I love my Honda CR-V. I have a 1997 model that is going on 480,000 kms. Two of the guys at the mechanics also have super high mileage CR-Vs and love them. Great little car. I'll be passing this one on to my son when he gets his driver's license and getting myself another one.

I had a Jetta wagon in the past and hated it. That stupid thing spend more time in the shop than on the road.

I had a CR-V and LOVED it. It was a 2000, had about 150K miles on it and gave me zero problems. We only traded it in because my husband was starting to drive a lot more for work and I was concerned how it would hold up. We got a Rav4 which has also been a fabulous car, but being much newer, I cannot yet say how it measures up for longevity! Reading Come Shine's post, I wished we had kept it and just bought the Rav as a 3rd car!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarabeth View Post
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Peggy.

Consider a Subaru Impreza. They are in your target price range, roomy, reliable, and get great gas mileage (27/36). The spouse is getting ready to buy a Subaru Crosstrek, which is the lifted, AWD verson of the Impreza, so we've recently spent a lot of time checking them out. I'm really impressed by them.
    Just as an FYI, the Impreza has AWD too. It's kinda a Subaru thing. (With the exception of the BRZ of course!)

I was someone who always HATED SUV's (Mostly because people called them "trucks". If you want a truck, get a REAL truck! LOL!) Then five or six years ago I traded in my Civic for a 2003 CR-V. Mine's a manual, 4-cylinder (if it were an automatic I'd get a 6-cylinder over the 4, but I specifically wanted a stick), AWD and my mileage is in the low 20's. I live in the Midwest and I love it for the winter, never had any real problems in the snow or ice. It drives like a car and you don't feel like you're climbing up any higher than that, but when I drive a "car" I feel like I'm sitting on the floor. And I adore that when I need to buy grain or shavings (I can cram 10 shavings bags in the tailgate), I can stop on my way home from work and not have to go home to get the truck and go back out. When this one dies (which I don't believe will be anytime soon) I've debated about getting another small SUV or going back to a car. Honda doesn't offer the CR-V in a stick anymore so I think I'd take a look at the Ford Escapes and I think Hyundai may still offer a stick as well.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I love my Mazda3 hatchback! Their new skyactiv models get up to 39mpg hwy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Have you considered a Mini Cooper? I have had mine for a little over a year and I absolutely love it. Great gas mileage (32 mpg in the city and almost 40 on the highway), feels bigger inside than it looks, lots of storage room (rear seats fold down so it can haul more than my mom's lexus ES350), and they're cute!

Another person here who loves her CR-V! Mine has 220,000 miles on it now, reliable as ever. Great horse person car as you can just throw feed bags, saddles, tack and whatever else back there with plenty of room!

I have a 2010 CR-V and love it. I get about 31-33 mpg in the summer and 28-30 mpg in the winter. It has plenty of room for my horse stuff, and it's great in snow. My son bought a used Pontiac Vibe (same thing as the Toyota Matrix, but less $$$ because it doesn't have the Toyota name). He's had it for about a year, and it's been great so far.

I am driving my second crv. I was hit head on in my 07 crv by a texting driver, and my car rolled and flipped a few times . I walked away with only a burn from my Starbucks. I get great mileage in my new crv which is the all wheel drive model. I can fit 6 bales of shavings or 12 bags of grain in the back with the seat down.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Subarus get 30+, and they have a variety of hatchback models. And everyone loves a Subaru.
    I'm on my second Subaru (both Foresters) and I LOVE them. Foresters don't quite get 30 MPG but many of the other models do. They are extremely reliable and safe, the AWD is wonderful if you're in an area that gets snow (or if you go driving through muddy fields), and there's plenty of room to stow tack

Another CRV lover!!! I have a 1999 model. It is the best car around... We like to say to it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! It was given to me when I turned 16 and as a new driver I've been rear-ended twice and hit by a HUGE deer. Everything seems to bounce right off and the car keeps on running. I feel more safe in my CRV on the winter roads than I do in the brand new truck. The gas mileage is definitely good... 25+ I think, even though it's old and has been used and abused. I've put all sorts of horse things in the back, 3 bales of hay, bags of shavings, tack boxes. I can't say enough good things about my CRV. I know we will own them for many years to come.

I have a CRV. Also love it. It fits a lot in the hatchback & with the seats down; it has great AWD and good gas mileage and is very reliable. Can't really ask for more!

I have a Mazda 3 hatchback which I absolutley adore! It's pretty good on fuel, and goes like a bat out of hell when I floor it to pass I've put 130,000kms on it and had it for 8 years and besides having regular maintenance and the clutch replaced, it still runs like it's brand new. There is some rust on the wheel wells (a problem with the early models which they've since solved) but those Mazda engines run forever!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I have an '02 CRV that has given us no problems at all and aside from the body style, looks brand new. Not a spec of rust on it and I live north where there is lots of snow and consequently, salt. We bought it used just last year with just under 200,000 km's on it. It's at 250k now and just great. I would highly recommend one.

My sister has a suburu that is close in age that has also been incredibly good. She has driven it cross country and drives it in the mountains and did a lot of city driving here with it and it's been good.

My mom has a toyota venza that she loves and hasn't like a car that much ever. Just to give you more options.

I would always recommend honda, toyota or suburu.

I know several people who live their CR-Vs. One factor I consider is the distance to a dealer for that car. Where I live I know two people who bought MiniCoopers, but the nearest dealer is almost two hours away, and the local BMW dealer won't service Minis.

For gas mileage how about a Prius? The new Prius V model has a lot of interior space for cargo, and gets great mileage. The basic model is cheaper though. Consumer Reports bought a used Prius from the first year of production, and it ran great, with just slightly less mileage per gallon than the current ones. The 2012 Prius is just over 20k depending on options, and the V model is about 27k, but they all seem rather roomy.
    Last edited by JanM; Dec. 15, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White